Page 59 of 111 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 2218

Thread: Andy Reid(b 1982)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    By the way, Trappatoni's english is still poor. "If we make playoff, team morale <vigourous hand gestures> ...high!" Cheers Trappa..

Compare it to Capello's, who hadn't a word of english before he took the England job.
    According to some Italian friends of mine he makes about as much sense in Italian.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    [QUOTE=At the moment, the players are playing well. But, in the future... I don't forget these players. I don't forget also Stephen Ireland. He is important.
    [/QUOTE]

Important to who Trap...Manchester City??? Why on earth does he bring up Stephen Irelands name at any opportunity he can. I wish he spent less time bothering about a man that couldn't care less about us and more time patching up his differences with a player that has said he would swim the Irish sea to play for us!
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    If Trap doesn't see him as part of his plans for now I'm happy enough with that , Sure I'd like him in the squad but things are going well now so Trap deserves some leeway for his decisions.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Trap is 70 yrs of age, im pretty sure it must be a little more difficult to pick these things up that quickly at that age.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    In addition he was not happy with Reids attitude around the squad when he was not a starter so as a result he is not in the squad. Simple as that, managers live and die by their decisions.
    If that's true then is it not also fair to say that alot has changed or been proved about Andy Reid since he was last in the squad to make that stance redundant.

He has dealt with it 100% impecably. He's hardly gonna complain about not being in the team, if he hasn't complained about not being in the squad. He's addressed some fitness issues. Any media bytes attributed to him have been wholly positive. If anything he should be set as a benchmark for any player that has fallen out of favour and rewarded as such with a recall. Regardless of what position we consider his best he is without doubt one of the best 23 players availible to us. And whilst he may not fit Trapps tactics, he offers something currently not availible to us to be utilised as a Plan B or C...

Irrational I know, but I actually resent Trap for how he's dealing with this. It's insulting our inteligence suggesting Andy Keogh offer more in wide positions than Reid. I expect that stuff from Brian Cowan or John Delany... If Reids not involved and it's counter productive to say fully why, say nothing at all. What we're being fed is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 07/10/2009 at 10:47 AM.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Since when did building a squad mean you pick the 23 best players. If that was the case any muppet could be the manager.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    We could be level/losing to Montenegro with 10/20 mins to go, needing to score once or even twice to have any chance of making the playoff. Our central midfield options to change the match are Rowlands and Miller. Our wing options are Keogh and Lawrence. If Trap really has no problem with Reid, as he claims, then this really is footballing stupidity of the highest order. I'm as impressed as anybody with the results he's got with this average team, and I'm delighted we're going to have him for another two years, but I do find this hard to take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Reid's Ireland days do seem numbered under Trapattoni. I suspect Brady would be pushing for Reid's inclusion in "normal circumstances". But whatever happened in Germany has obviously coloured squad decision making.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    If that's true then is it not also fair to say that alot has changed or been proved about Andy Reid since he was last in the squad to make that stance redundant.

He has dealt with it 100% impecably. He's hardly gonna complain about not being in the team, if he hasn't complained about not being in the squad. He's addressed some fitness issues. Any media bytes attributed to him have been wholly positive. If anything he should be set as a benchmark for any player that has fallen out of favour and rewarded as such with a recall. Regardless of what position we consider his best he is without doubt one of the best 23 players availible to us. And whilst he may not fit Trapps tactics, he offers something currently not availible to us to be utilised as a Plan B or C...

I have to say I agree with this.

According to the Indo Trap said he'd have a look at Reid in a game if we'd already qualified, that's no reason not to have him in teh squad though.

Look lads, all this bleating over it is in vain, Andy is Trap's Dave O'Leary, it's on his head and will be used a stick to beat him with if we don't qualify but so be it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Funny how nobody picked up on the Irish Times' coverage of this story today.

I'm at an airport & stuck for time but it's something like Emmet Malone suggesting that Reid is a bit too much of a free spirit and Trapp agreeing, saying he has a system and can't afford to experiment. Trapp says if/once qualified he can affort to experiment again. Malone also offers Geysir's view that initially Reid (or the mad bald chav) could pplay off a main striker but now Folan or Best can offer the something different option.

There's also a strong suggestion that Reid wasn't as injured as he said he was for Trapp's initial Portugal training camp, not the first time I've heard this.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Since when did building a squad mean you pick the 23 best players. If that was the case any muppet could be the manager.
    I would have thought that building a squad involves picking the best 23 players to sustain the prefered tactic and balance in the first eleven whilst offering viable options to react to change at short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    And whilst he may not fit Trapps tactics, he offers something currently not availible to us to be utilised as a Plan B or C....
    Andy Reid belongs in any Irish 23 regardless of what way it's dressed up or down.

And I don't buy into the whole difficult to have around theory any more, based purely on his conduct since. And that other clown at City would be even more disruptive without a shadow of a doubt, yet apparently Trapp see's fit to try bring him back.

It's personal for Trap... It may even be a cultural thing (Do Italians do residence bars and sing songs? Never mind profesional Athletes? I dunno). It's all speculation. But to suggest he's being ommitted due to football reasons is just rubbish.
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 07/10/2009 at 2:35 PM.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Reid speaks. Saying the right things
    He told the Journal: 'I have no control over being selected for Ireland - the only thing I can control is to perform for Sunderland.

'That is the only response open to me. I can't sit in my house and worry about not getting into the Ireland squad. I don't pick the Ireland squad.

'I'm just concentrating on giving everything for Sunderland and hopefully the Ireland manager will notice my performances. As far as I am concerned, my Ireland career isn't over.

'I love playing for Ireland and if the opportunity came to play, I would be delighted.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Here's the link to that:
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...615638,00.html

Sterling attitude. Fast becoming my favourite on a par with Doyler just because of such a great, determined and prud attitude. He'll play again with that approach...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    im worried he wont be included if we do qualify... Martin Rowlands??? you might as well add me to the squad!!!
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republicofwhite View Post
    Here's the link to that:
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...615638,00.html

Sterling attitude. Fast becoming my favourite on a par with Doyler just because of such a great, determined and prud attitude. He'll play again with that approach...
    Agreed. Perfect response from A. Reid. Not much more he can do, except what he is doing already.Mirror that with Trap, who says something ridiculous every time he opens his mouth.

For a man with so many medals and experience (a fact that we are constantly reminded of) I often wonder where some of his opinions about players comes from....his insistence that Andy keogh is a 'winger', even though he is clearly not comfortable in this position and is playing really well upfront this season is a perfect example of this.
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Funny how nobody picked up on the Irish Times' coverage of this story today.

I'm at an airport & stuck for time but it's something like Emmet Malone suggesting that Reid is a bit too much of a free spirit and Trapp agreeing, saying he has a system and can't afford to experiment. Trapp says if/once qualified he can affort to experiment again. Malone also offers Geysir's view that initially Reid (or the mad bald chav) could pplay off a main striker but now Folan or Best can offer the something different option.

There's also a strong suggestion that Reid wasn't as injured as he said he was for Trapp's initial Portugal training camp, not the first time I've heard this.
    So he has offered the full Irish there really then stutts hasn't he?! Sure we could all do that in fairness - and more importantly have done. I beleive it was EB that saw reid as the player behind the front two that Trap might play him as IIRC.

I dont think there is anything new there we didn't already know. Perhaps maybe that he will call in him up for the first friendly if we qualify or if we dont qualify.

If we dont qualify, and he calls him up, he is going to be under severe pressure. I could see him not calling him up for this reason alone!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Trap knows more about football than anybody on this board and any journalist that was at the conference today. Shows your medals as they say.
    Juventus:
    Italian League: 1976-77, 1977-78, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1983-84, 1985-86
    Italian Cup: 1978-79, 1982-83
    European Cup: 1984-85
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1984
    UEFA Cup: 1977, 1993
    European Super Cup: 1984
    Intercontinental Cup: 1985

Internazionale:
    Italian League: 1988-89
    UEFA Cup: 1991

Bayern Munich:
    German League: 1996-97
    German Cup: 1997-98

S.L. Benfica:
    Portuguese League: 2004-05

Red Bull Salzburg:
    Austrian League: 2006-07

The last thing of note he won was the Uefa Cup in 1991 in my eyes. Winning the German League with the Bayern Munich team of the late 90s was almost expected, no matter who was in charge.

The Portuguese league and the Austrian league are powder puff. That almost 20 years ago. He is an old, stubborn man. The FAI should have waited until qualifying was over before signing him for another 2 year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Winning the German League with the Bayern Munich team of the late 90s was almost expected, no matter who was in charge.
    so? Winning the Premier League with the Manchester United team of the late 90's was almost expected, no matter who was in charge
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Juventus:
    Italian League: 1976-77, 1977-78, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1983-84, 1985-86
    Italian Cup: 1978-79, 1982-83
    European Cup: 1984-85
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1984
    UEFA Cup: 1977, 1993
    European Super Cup: 1984
    Intercontinental Cup: 1985

Internazionale:
    Italian League: 1988-89
    UEFA Cup: 1991

Bayern Munich:
    German League: 1996-97
    German Cup: 1997-98

S.L. Benfica:
    Portuguese League: 2004-05

Red Bull Salzburg:
    Austrian League: 2006-07

The last thing of note he won was the Uefa Cup in 1991 in my eyes. Winning the German League with the Bayern Munich team of the late 90s was almost expected, no matter who was in charge.

The Portuguese league and the Austrian league are powder puff. That almost 20 years ago. He is an old, stubborn man. The FAI should have waited until qualifying was over before signing him for another 2 year deal.
    The fact that Bayern had won the league once in the 6 season before he went back in 96/97 (including one of his own I'll admit) and Porto won the UEFA Cup in 2003 and Champions League in 2004 suggests that you are talking boll0x my friend.