Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2015/6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah I know, but it's hardly as intriguing as who qualifies and who misses out completely. Real can't draw Barca anyway so it's even less of a concern in their case.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I wouldn't understate the concern and extreme pressure that clubs like PSG and RM have to finish top and/or progress to the 1/4. TV3 made a brave choice even though all the omens were good for that game. Like I said, considering that choice by TV3 made at a time when the 2 epl clubs (Man U ) still had something to play for, is it a first?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Last night an TV3 ignored the epl teams and went all continental with their live coverage of RM v PSG.
    Was that a first, considering the epl teams still had it to play for to qualify? Has the mould of fawning cheerleading the epl teams been broken?
    RTE have passed on an English match to show Barcelona a couple of times, but as far as I remember it was Chelsea at least one of the times and they'd be the least popular of the English CL teams here. Can't imagine they'd pass on Manchester United or Liverpool, so fair play to TV3 for picking the best match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I wouldn't understate the concern and extreme pressure that clubs like PSG and RM have to finish top and/or progress to the 1/4.
    There's extreme pressure on Real Madrid to win the whole competition every season, that's common knowledge. Obviously then it goes without saying that there's extreme pressure to reach the quarter finals, but not topping the group is unlikely to jeaporadise that too much in their case. My point was that a match which will determine elimination and progress is obviously more important than a match that will determine who finishes first and second. Even if Real did finish second, what would they have to be afraid of? By a mile the worst draw they could get would be Bayern Munich, a team they beat 5-0 on aggregate eighteen months ago. Ideally they would avoid that possibility but hardly the end of the world, and they'd have to be unlucky to draw them even if they did finish second.

I do agree with the general point that it was refreshing for TV3 to look outside the obvious mainstream English clubs, I just thought it was an unusual night to do it. Whatever about the Manchester United game, Seville v Manchester City was intriguing for a number of reasons, and definitely more at stake for the two clubs than Real v PSG.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 11/11/2015 at 2:06 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I love all the fuss that goes with qualifying for the amazing Champions League and then Man U "crash out" (to use the vernacular) in the group stages. They would have been better off trying to win the League Cup
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    TV3 again picked a winner with live coverage of the ignominious spectacle of Man U crashing out dive bombing out of the Champions League.

Roma get through on 6 points, is that a lowest ever points level for a last 16 qualifier? if it isn't, it has to be a close shave.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts

Roma get through on 6 points, is that a lowest ever points level for a last 16 qualifier? if it isn't, it has to be a close shave.
    I think they said last night it on RTE was the lowest qualifying total since it became 3 points for a win (can't remember when it was only 2 points for a win, but seems like it was like that before).

Edit: wiki says it changed for the 95-96 season.
    Last edited by osarusan; 10/12/2015 at 7:20 AM.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I love all the fuss that goes with qualifying for the amazing Champions League and then Man U "crash out" (to use the vernacular) in the group stages.
    I love the way they're always so shocked when it happens, despite Chelsea (as holders), Manchester City (twice) and Liverpool all failing in the group stages in the previous three seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Gent v Wolfsburg
    Roma v Real Madrid
    Paris St-Germain v Chelsea
    Arsenal v Barcelona
    Juventus v Bayern Munich
    PSV Eindhoven v Atletico Madrid
    Benfica v Zenit St Petersburg
    Dynamo Kiev v Manchester City

Juve vs Bayern the stand-out one there. The two money-bags (PSG vs Chelsea) also have to fight it out.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I really enjoyed that PSG vs Chelsea game last night. Ok both teams were assembled on the back of vasts amounts of money but it was a really excellent, fast-moving game with great play from both sides. I even didn't go channel surfing, except very occasionally to see how Hull vs Brighton was going. Chris Hughton is an excellent manager. I suspect some day he'll manage Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think I'll always have a bit of a black mark against him for the way he froze out our Wesley! To be fair, I'm sure it was nothing personal and he was only doing what he thought was best for Norwich, but I think he was poor management in any case.

I saw an hour of the game last night in total as I missed fifteen minutes either side of half time. I suspect Chelsea must have been good during this period because they were completely outplayed in the hour that I saw, bar the header from Costa that was miraculously saved. I'd take PSG far more seriously than I did last season I think, obviously Di Maria is a huge addition but they're just another year down the road in terms of development, in a similar way to Juve last season or Inter Milan in Mourinho's final year. I'd give them a decent chance against anybody now. They were very impressive last night and I'll be surprised if they don't finish the job at Stamford Bridge. Cavani looked like a man with a point to prove when he came on as well.

I'm really looking forward to the Juventus-Bayern tie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Two lovely goals from Draxler last night for Wolsfburg. He seemed to claim the match ball afterwards as well, not sure it works that way Julian! Didi Hamman was saying that De Bruyne, who Draxler replaced at the start of the season, is further on in his development but that Draxler has the potential to be as good if he can find a bit more consistency. He was excellent the night they knocked Manchester United out as well. Arsenal had been heavily linked with him for a long time when he was playing for Schalke, not sure why it didn't end up happening. Wolfsburg in a precarious position as a result of the Volkswagen emissions scandal, it's scary how reliant the city as a whole is on one company. A basic but interesting piece on it here.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 18/02/2016 at 9:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Two lovely goals from Draxler last night for Wolsfburg. He seemed to claim the match ball afterwards as well, not sure it works that way Julian!
    Since they must have at least 6 balls ready to throw in when the ball goes out of play, I am not sure about this keeping the ball business anyway since more than likely it wasn't the ball used for the goals.

I think the Volkswagen emission rumpus is now forgotten. Might have hit sales for a while but the Germans have a way of coming back from the ruins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I think the Volkswagen emission rumpus is now forgotten. Might have hit sales for a while but the Germans have a way of coming back from the ruins
    If you're confident about that you should buy some VW shares while they're cheap

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    If you're confident about that you should buy some VW shares while they're cheap
    Thanks for the tip They seem to be slightly on the up again:

Attachment 2393

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I think I'll always have a bit of a black mark against him for the way he froze out our Wesley! To be fair, I'm sure it was nothing personal and he was only doing what he thought was best for Norwich, but I think he was poor management in any case.

I saw an hour of the game last night in total as I missed fifteen minutes either side of half time. I suspect Chelsea must have been good during this period because they were completely outplayed in the hour that I saw, bar the header from Costa that was miraculously saved. I'd take PSG far more seriously than I did last season I think, obviously Di Maria is a huge addition but they're just another year down the road in terms of development, in a similar way to Juve last season or Inter Milan in Mourinho's final year. I'd give them a decent chance against anybody now. They were very impressive last night and I'll be surprised if they don't finish the job at Stamford Bridge. Cavani looked like a man with a point to prove when he came on as well.

I'm really looking forward to the Juventus-Bayern tie.
    Despite a perceptible dip in Zlatan's influence, I also think PSG are a more serious team than last season but the in house competitiveness of the french league has dipped.
    My take is that PSG will improve in the 2nd leg.
    Around April or so, Zlatan can break a leg.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The CL qualifying includes some teams that shouldn't be in the competition, and a reworking of the qualification process will lead to a better tournament.

First, the runners up of leagues ranked 10-15 do NOT belong in the CL. They are not champions, and they are not from big leagues, and most years they do not qualify for the group stage. I would assign them to the Europa League playoff round (there will be ample room for them when I change the CL qualification).

So in review, the access list:
    Leagues 1-3: 4 teams
    Leagues 4-6: 3 teams
    Leagues 7-9: 2 teams
    Leagues 10-54 (excluding Liechtenstein): 1 team

Automatic Group Stage Participants (26):
    CL/EL winner
    Champions (1-12)
    Runners up (1-6)
    3rd place (1-4)
    4th place (1-3)

Qualifying (46 teams fighting for 6 spots):

Playoff Round (6 losers drop into EL group stage):
    Champions (13)
    3rd place (5-6)
    9 winners from previous round

3rd Qualifying Round (9 losers drop into EL playoff round):
    Champions (14-16)
    Runners up (7-9)
    12 winners from previous round

2nd Qualifying Round (losers are out of Europe):
    Champions (17-27)
    13 winners from previous round

1st Qualifying Round (losers are out of Europe):
    Champions (28-54, excluding Liechtenstein)

The Europa League qualification will remain roughly the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzle787 View Post

The CL qualifying includes some teams that shouldn't be in the competition, and a reworking of the qualification process will lead to a better tournament.

First, the runners up of leagues ranked 10-15 do NOT belong in the CL. They are not champions, and they are not from big leagues, and most years they do not qualify for the group stage. I would assign them to the Europa League playoff round (there will be ample room for them when I change the CL qualification).

So in review, the access list:
    Leagues 1-3: 4 teams
    Leagues 4-6: 3 teams
    Leagues 7-9: 2 teams
    Leagues 10-54 (excluding Liechtenstein): 1 team

Automatic Group Stage Participants (26):
    CL/EL winner
    Champions (1-12)
    Runners up (1-6)
    3rd place (1-4)
    4th place (1-3)

Qualifying (46 teams fighting for 6 spots):

Playoff Round (6 losers drop into EL group stage):
    Champions (13)
    3rd place (5-6)
    9 winners from previous round

3rd Qualifying Round (9 losers drop into EL playoff round):
    Champions (14-16)
    Runners up (7-9)
    12 winners from previous round

2nd Qualifying Round (losers are out of Europe):
    Champions (17-27)
    13 winners from previous round

1st Qualifying Round (losers are out of Europe):
    Champions (28-54, excluding Liechtenstein)

The Europa League qualification will remain roughly the same.
    My head aches

I see they are thinking of making winning the FA Cup as guaranteeing a CL place in England. Good idea.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Impressive Bayern are chomping at the bit in Turin, meanwhile Barca are taking life easy at Arsenal.
    I hope these two teams meet this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    What I can never understand is why Arsenal can't keep the ball against Barca like they do against most other sides. If Barca play a pressing game so well, why don't the other teams do the same against Arsenal (favourites to win the EPL and yet always are second best Barca). Do you have to be extremely skilled footballers to play the pressing game ? Surely not.

Answers on a postcard please to bemused of foot.ie

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast