Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reserve League

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    theres a blast from the past gentex! are they still on the go?
    Fairly sure it closed in 1984!

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Clubs can't be trusted to do the right thing. Having u21 or reserve is clearly needed.
    Clubs can't be forced to do everything either. It's fair enough to expect them to have at least two youth teams in place.

In my own humble opinion, an intermediary league that affords aspiring clubs an opportunity to build and aspire towards league of ireland football is good for the game and enhances the status of the league.

The FAI should put such a league in place and whatever number of interested reserve teams and LoI aspiring teams get on with the game and their respective developments.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Clubs can't be forced to do everything either. It's fair enough to expect them to have at least two youth teams in place.

In my own humble opinion, an intermediary league that affords aspiring clubs an opportunity to build and aspire towards league of ireland football is good for the game and enhances the status of the league.

The FAI should put such a league in place and whatever number of interested reserve teams and LoI aspiring teams get on with the game and their respective developments.
    We all agree on this, but I keep insisting the way for me would be a third tier, with "B" teams allowed, like Shamrock last year, and regionalised. With less requirements for the clubs.
    Cutting at same time all the support from the FAI to the Junior and Intermediate clubs, forcing them to move to this league and to be part of the system if they want to participate in the Cups etc.
    Building towards a unitary system.

Another thing to work on at the same time than this league should be a cooperation deal between clubs. So if a team can't field a reserve team or can't afford it, can mix with another one to do it and players at same time can be promoted to first team.

For example Cobh Wanderers field a team on third tier, with Cobh Ramblers in second. U19 from Cobh ramblers can play in third tier with Cobh Wanderers, and players owned by Ramblers could be registered with them and play with Ramblers too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I wouldn't support cutting funding to junior and intermediate clubs at all. Nor should they be forced into a regionalised third tier.

The option should simply be there for LoI clubs to field a reserve team if they wish. Aspiring clubs to join if they wish. There can't be a repeat of the Galway situation either of too many clubs from a region. Aspiring clubs would have to make an application based similarly on the A championship. If there's already a club in an area, that would have to be taken into consideration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Personally I think it was very short sited that the clubs pulled the A Championship. Yes it was an extra cost for clubs, but clubs should have looked into restructuring it. Even if clubs had a regional reserve league to cut down on travel costs and length of time players/coaches have to travel. The gap between the U19s and first team is quite big and once you are over the age you may find it hard to get game time. Other things like the 2nd choice keeper may get feck all match practice and players returning from injury too.

Correct me if I am wrong but Derry reserves and Finn Harps reserves compete in the Ulster Senior League - which is mainly Donegal sides. Something along those lines might suit clubs - clubs in the Leinster have some sort of reserve league so players can get games.

Is there any other league of Ireland teams which put their players in other leagues to get game time? I assume UCD would be one.
    @AidanMcGuinness

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post
    Personally I think it was very short sited that the clubs pulled the A Championship. Yes it was an extra cost for clubs, but clubs should have looked into restructuring it. Even if clubs had a regional reserve league to cut down on travel costs and length of time players/coaches have to travel. The gap between the U19s and first team is quite big and once you are over the age you may find it hard to get game time. Other things like the 2nd choice keeper may get feck all match practice and players returning from injury too.

Correct me if I am wrong but Derry reserves and Finn Harps reserves compete in the Ulster Senior League - which is mainly Donegal sides. Something along those lines might suit clubs - clubs in the Leinster have some sort of reserve league so players can get games.

Is there any other league of Ireland teams which put their players in other leagues to get game time? I assume UCD would be one.
    Rovers have a First Division team this year called Shels.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post

Harps reserves pulled out of the Ulster Senior League after one game this year. It's switching back to a Winter season again in August so it's not ideal for the senior clubs to keep players throughout the winter.

The league is crying out for a return of the A Championship.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Is there not a potential problem there though especially for the short period the leagues cross over.
    If a player was playing for the reserves in the Leinster Senior League, he'd have to transfer from one league to another if the first team wanted him to play, and couldn't transfer back again if their window was closed. The leagues would nearly have to run in the same season methinks.
    Last edited by KeepersBall; 08/04/2015 at 11:14 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Gentex are still on the go in the mid divisions of the CCFL.

Belgrove were another LOI B team back in the day I think.

13. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harps reserves pulled out of the Ulster Senior League after one game this year. It's switching back to a Winter season again in August so it's not ideal for the senior clubs to keep players throughout the winter.

The league is crying out for a return of the A Championship.
    On a similar note I've always thought it a bit strange that the u19 league isn't a summer league. Lads could end up having no games for a few months but clubs will still hold on to some of them just in case of injuries to the first team.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    On a similar note I've always thought it a bit strange that the u19 league isn't a summer league. Lads could end up having no games for a few months but clubs will still hold on to some of them just in case of injuries to the first team.
    I think that is to change next year. Hope so too

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Switch the U19 league to an U21 league and allow 3 overage players.

Get rid of U17's and make it U18.

Play it April to August.

Reserve and underage all covered.

Simples.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post

Simples.
    Ditching an age-group isn't an answer imo.

u17 is already late enough to be introduced to elite level.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briuk View Post
    Cobh Wanderers field a team on third tier, with Cobh Ramblers in second. U19 from Cobh ramblers can play in third tier with Cobh Wanderers, and players owned by Ramblers could be registered with them and play with Ramblers too.
    Good luck getting that to happen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Switch the U19 league to an U21 league and allow 3 overage players.

Get rid of U17's and make it U18.

Play it April to August.

Simples.
    Possible December 15yr olds to December 18yr olds is a huge jump in all aspects of development personal and football. I am assuming the registration dates. A reserve team with a certain number of designated senior places that are linked to the age profile of the squad. To be a bit Legendz about it offer incentive of some sorts for youth type players. Regionalised of course. Not likely to happen but an altrnative would be to bring all leagues under FAI jurisdiction to a Summer season and then enter teams at an appropriate level. MDL for Drogheda for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Under 17 and 19 is the UEFA standard lads. At least give the 17 league a chance before dismissing it.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    U-17 and U-19 allows clubs to develop players from about 15 years upwards and allows the possibility of giving elite players four years coaching and playing at the top level available in this country.

The DDSL clubs may say they already provide this, but going to a national elite league at these age brackets by introducing u-17 makes a lot of sense

24. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12