Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: john delaney sing song

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Again we are focusing on the wrong issues. John Delaney is the biggest problem in Irish football right now and it is not because of a song.
    I know what you're saying El-P. But that's cause you look at it from a football/ LOI standpoint. We know his bull**** but most don't and will focus is on the song. Personally I couldn't care less about an auld RA song. But, and I suppose this will be the main point, hopefully it will be his downfall. Especially considering all the lies and legal threats he has used surrounding it. Probably the best chance of him walking will be cause of the song rather than football issues.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    I remember back in 2000 a Rangers CEO was had to resign because he was filmed singing the Sash and Follow Follow at a Rangers SC benefit night. Rangers themselves said he had no other option bit to resign.
    'The Sash' isn't remotely nasty and I don't think you could say there's anything inherently offensive about it. 'Follow Follow', with insulting references to the Pope and the Vatican included, is in another bracket though.

It's not like Delaney was shouting "f*ck the prods" or "Brits out", but singing a political song in public that has the potential to stir a frenzy of outrage (whether legitimate or exaggerated) is simply ill-judged and reckless. Another example of his lack of fitness for the role amongst many. It's bad publicity, bad for diplomacy and it's embarrassing for the FAI. He can sing what he likes in private, but he should have known not to tread there in a busy public house full of Ireland fans around the corner from Lansdowne Road immediately after an Ireland game. And he can deny it was public all he likes, but it's just a charade and people can see through it. How does the public spotlight feel now, John?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    I know what you're saying El-P. But that's cause you look at it from a football/ LOI standpoint. We know his bull**** but most don't and will focus is on the song. Personally I couldn't care less about an auld RA song. But, and I suppose this will be the main point, hopefully it will be his downfall. Especially considering all the lies and legal threats he has used surrounding it. Probably the best chance of him walking will be cause of the song rather than football issues.
    It's a shame that's the case; that he can't be confronted and ousted over the serious issues. If this is his downfall, so be it, although I think he's dodged the bullet. He's utilised the emotional smokescreen to perfection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Irish man sings Irish song in Ireland.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    It seems to me that the big issue with this particular incident is not the singing of the song, which was ill judged, but the fact that lawyers were threatening numerous media outlets and had stated that it wasn't Delaney in the video only for him to then confirm it was him and blame confusion on "third parties". Surely this is the major concern with the whole story.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    Irish man sings Irish song in Ireland.
    Irish man sings Republican song in Ireland.

Whether people like it or not, the song is about a Hunger Striker, not about Ireland. An example of an Irish song is Whiskey in the Jar. Republican songs don't represent the population of Ireland, contrary to belief.

What Delaney does in his own spare time is his own business. But standing up in front of a packed pub of strangers singing republican ballads while hammered drunk is moronic for a man in his position. He gets away with this sort of idiotic behaviour time after time and it's mental.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Again we are focusing on the wrong issues. John Delaney is the biggest problem in Irish football right now and it is not because of a song.
    True but if this is the issue that eventually brings him down, will any of us really care. Many times it is the innocuous incidents that prove to be the fatal one.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thats true but i cant see him resigning?nobody in positions of power in this country ever resign unless they are pushed.look at the shower of muppets that we have had and still have in the dail.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    'The Sash' isn't remotely nasty and I don't think you could say there's anything inherently offensive about it. 'Follow Follow', with insulting references to the Pope and the Vatican included, is in another bracket though.

It's not like Delaney was shouting "f*ck the prods" or "Brits out", but singing a political song in public that has the potential to stir a frenzy of outrage (whether legitimate or exaggerated) is simply ill-judged and reckless. Another example of his lack of fitness for the role amongst many. It's bad publicity, bad for diplomacy and it's embarrassing for the FAI. He can sing what he likes in private, but he should have known not to tread there in a busy public house full of Ireland fans around the corner from Lansdowne Road immediately after an Ireland game. And he can deny it was public all he likes, but it's just a charade and people can see through it. How does the public spotlight feel now, John?
    Exactly. He thinks he's a celebrity. Well, he can deal with the bad side of that coin now.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

le

Interesting to note that rte.ie did not allow any viewer comments on the article they published entitled
    Delaney says legal warnings a 'misunderstanding'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...egal-warnings/

This follows a whopping 225 comments posted on the original article!

Coincidence? Or did the lawyers issue more threats?

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I'd say it's at least partly due to the fact that rte.ie are too stingy/lazy to bother getting anyone to moderate that many comments!
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Interesting to note that rte.ie did not allow any viewer comments on the article they published entitled
    Delaney says legal warnings a 'misunderstanding'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...egal-warnings/

This follows a whopping 225 comments posted on the original article!

Coincidence? Or did the lawyers issue more threats?
    I'd say so. It's becoming standard practice for online news to close comments on anything controversial, and it's all driven by legal threats. RTE tend to roll over more easily than most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Hadn't heard about it tbh. Was he any good?
    He sounded like anyone else after a feed of drink
    What was even more embarrassing was the statement Blazer Fitzgerald the president of the FAI put out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Richard Sadlier wrote a good piece about the shennanigans with delaney and the fai in denying it was him.delaney should do the right thing and resign and take his muppets with him.they do nothing for the loi.its a nest egg for these guys.the money that delaney is on is a disgrace even in the celtic tiger era not too mind now.he earns more than the italian and spanish fa presidents put together for a mickey mouse association.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Jeez, guys give it a break. I doubt anyone in the Bath Public House took the slightest offence at Dealneys musical 'efforts', or even noticed ! The faux outrage at this event is truly embarrassing.
    Did Billy Bingham resign after 'conducting' the sash at Windsor ? did he hell as like

lots of reasons to dislike John Delaney but his drunken rendition of Joe McDonnell is not one of them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I want JD out,but certainly not over a song ! But, even if he was to bite the bullet and go, does anybody honestly believe that the next guy in charge will treat the League any better ?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Jeez, guys give it a break. I doubt anyone in the Bath Public House took the slightest offence at Dealneys musical 'efforts', or even noticed ! The faux outrage at this event is truly embarrassing.
    Did Billy Bingham resign after 'conducting' the sash at Windsor ? did he hell as like

lots of reasons to dislike John Delaney but his drunken rendition of Joe McDonnell is not one of them.
    It's not the song, it's his actions. Delaney and his buddies have made a big deal about the song and how poor John is the victim.

1. A song like Joe McDonnell splits opinion. So for someone in the public eye should stay clear of a song like that. (Even Gerry Adams wouldn't be as daft to see a Republican song in public!)
    2. "It's a shame an Irish man can't sing an Irish song in public!" True. But it's a bigger shame to try and gag the press.
    3. Denying it was him.
    4. Treatening the Guardian, Telegragh, Irish Times and Balls.ie with legal action if they print and/or display the footage.
    5. Claiming he was travelling at the time and mix-up with the legal treat was due to that.
    6. Claiming he doesn't seek the limelight and this was done in a sly way. Even though JD loves his You Tube videos
    7. Crying on the radio that his girlfriend is getting abuse on Twitter. But fails to mention his girlfriend is retweeting abuse about Emmet Malone.
    8. That excuse of a letter.
    9. Playing the victim. "Due to the cyber bullying......."

I think that's the real reason behind it. It just shows what kind of man he is.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post

It is an addition to a growing list reasons to dislike him. The issue is his lack of judgement and the lies or attempted coverup after. He tried usual tactics and bully some media circles in to not reporting the incident they werent lying down to him so went in to damage limitation mode and aplogised. I dont give a damn about the song who Joe McDonnell is or those who are so easily outraged by it. I do care about football in this Country both league and international side and both are being held back by the short sighted arrgance of JD!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 01/12/2014 at 4:02 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    It's not the song, it's his actions. Delaney and his buddies have made a big deal about the song and how poor John is the victim.

1. A song like Joe McDonnell splits opinion. So for someone in the public eye should stay clear of a song like that. (Even Gerry Adams wouldn't be as daft to see a Republican song in public!)
    2. "It's a shame an Irish man can't sing an Irish song in public!" True. But it's a bigger shame to try and gag the press.
    3. Denying it was him.
    4. Treatening the Guardian, Telegragh, Irish Times and Balls.ie with legal action if they print and/or display the footage.
    5. Claiming he was travelling at the time and mix-up with the legal treat was due to that.
    6. Claiming he doesn't seek the limelight and this was done in a sly way. Even though JD loves his You Tube videos
    7. Crying on the radio that his girlfriend is getting abuse on Twitter. But fails to mention his girlfriend is retweeting abuse about Emmet Malone.
    8. That excuse of a letter.
    9. Playing the victim. "Due to the cyber bullying......."

I think that's the real reason behind it. It just shows what kind of man he is.
    Beat me to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,357 Posts
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

27. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast