Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dundalk Fined For Palestine Flag at Euro Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Anyone know if the Georgian FA will be fined for fans displaying multiple Ukrainian flags in the stadium on Sunday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    There was a very prominent one directly above the half-way line. Hard to see how UEFA would have missed it, but whether they fined the Georgian football association is another matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    They may well, but unless you're following Georgian news sites, you're unlikely to hear about it.

This "what about other teams" BS has to stop lads
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post

This "what about other teams" BS has to stop lads
    Why? What is the problem outlining inconsistancies in UEFA rulings? If it bothers you jog on - nobody is making you read the thread!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Why? What is the problem outlining inconsistancies in UEFA rulings?
    If people can point out any inconsistencies, then go ahead. As has been said before, UEFA don't publish all fines so it's just a guessing game.

A guessing game that is pointless as it doesn't effect Dundalk's case at all
    ---

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Which just illustrates how flawed UEFA have become. Maybe Dundalk et al should take their case to the ECHR given people are no longer allowed to even express an opinion.

And credit to the Georgians too, in support of Ukraine. Lovely people in the main, no surprise there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Dundalk to the ECHR?? You can jog on too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The right to express an opinion is not an absolute one. This is especially the case on private property or when a voluntary agreement between the two parties concerned allows for the limitation of "offending" expressions. By entering onto the property of the club, those supporters waived any right they might have had to behave how they liked (not that there is such a right even in public, but you know what I mean) and, at the very least, implicitly agreed to conform to the over-riding stadium regulations. Actually, I'd be surprised if those terms weren't explicitly mentioned on their match tickets. Likewise, by Dundalk's participation in UEFA's competition, the club agreed to adhere to UEFA's governing regulations. Such agreement was a condition of participation. Nobody's right to free speech has been involuntarily stifled or trampled upon. People can't just do what they like on private property nor can clubs breach competition rules to which they've agreed to adhere without consequence.

Edit: I should make clear that I'm not lumping the club and those individuals involved into the same boat. The club have denounced their actions. Even if the supporters had a case, I doubt Dundalk would take it to the ECtHR on their behalf. If those involved think they have a case, they can fire away, but they won't get very far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Which just illustrates how flawed UEFA have become. Maybe Dundalk et al should take their case to the ECHR given people are no longer allowed to even express an opinion.
    Brave talk for a man that won't even go to watch his local LOI side play. It's not you that has to put up with the consequences
    ---

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except they're not and never have been my 'local LOI' side...my own team are no longer even in the LOI, since you didn't ask.

But don't let checking the facts get in the way of daft assertions.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Dundalk to the ECHR?? You can jog on too!
    Well, if you don't fight things then people will continue to sh*t on you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Except they're not and never have been my 'local LOI' side...my own team are no longer even in the LOI, since you didn't ask.

But don't let checking the facts get in the way of daft assertions.
    The point remains that you have nothing to lose with your "daft assertions" while they very much do

I never said Dundalk were your local side either. You've been fairly adamant about who you do/don't support on these forums
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Well, if you don't fight things then people will continue to sh*t on you...
    What case do the individuals involved or the club have that would justify appealing to the ECtHR though? What is there to fight? Both respective parties, the individuals involved and the club, voluntarily waived certain rights they might have otherwise had by either: attending the game in Oriel Park, private property of the Casey family, and agreeing to adhere to the terms of entry, as in the case of the fans; or, by participating in the Europa League and agreeing to conform to the governing regulations as laid down by UEFA, as in the case of the club. The individuals involved were the ones sh*tting on their club and I understand the club have moved to ban them from Oriel Park, as is the club's right. What else can Dundalk do realistically?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Dodge,
    If you say so...gurning about modern football and how the LOI receives a raw deal. Fair enough.
    Clearly, you don't realise insipid morons like UEFA are part of the problem...never mind anyone else's 'assertions' !!
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 12/09/2014 at 5:43 PM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    They own the UEFA Europa League competition. It's UEFA's competition. Once you agree to enter, you argee to abided by UEFA's rules.

Here's an example. My local night club don't own fun. But if I went in and started dancing on the tables after begin warned not to, I'd be barred. Why? Because it's their club and their rules.

Tsk Eh, I do know that! But Supporters dont read a list of UEFA directives before they head to the game. Plenty of petty rules do be broken all around the place. Difference between the football competition and the silly bureaucracy (a nice little earner for UEFA).

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    What case do the individuals involved or the club have that would justify appealing to the ECtHR though? What is there to fight? Both respective parties, the individuals involved and the club, voluntarily waived certain rights they might have otherwise had by either: attending the game in Oriel Park, private property of the Casey family, and agreeing to adhere to the terms of entry, as in the case of the fans; or, by participating in the Europa League and agreeing to conform to the governing regulations as laid down by UEFA, as in the case of the club. The individuals involved were the ones sh*tting on their club and I understand the club have moved to ban them from Oriel Park, as is the club's right. What else can Dundalk do realistically?
    I know, but more fool them. Accepting undemocratic organisations interference. As is the case with most other clubs.

UEFA are a sanitised shower who exist in their own corporate bubble and deserve to be challenged whenever possible...there's a point of principle and feck the consequences.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Tsk Eh, I do know that! But Supporters dont read a list of UEFA directives before they head to the game. Plenty of petty rules do be broken all around the place. Difference between the football competition and the silly bureaucracy (a nice little earner for UEFA).
    Whether they read them or not, the supporters agreed to adhere to Dundalk's ground regulations simply by their entry into the stadium. The regulations state the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Dundalk FC
    All persons entering this stadium are admitted only subject to the following ground rules and regulations of Dundalk FC. Entry to the stadium shall be deemed to constitute unqualified acceptance of these rules and regulations.
    It's not a petty matter though; this has needlessly cost Dundalk €18,000. Participation in the competition cannot be distinguished from the governing regulations either. Acceptance of the rules is a condition of participation.

I know, but more fool them. Accepting undemocratic organisations interference. As is the case with most other clubs.
    What's the alternative? Opting out of UEFA competition? Why would or should Dundalk do that? Is there another democratic body that organises football in Europe to whom Dundalk can instead align themselves? The club are happy to adhere to UEFA's regulations, like all other clubs participating in UEFA competition around Europe. Are there clubs around Europe that shun UEFA's authority? Is there some way how Dundalk might have participated in UEFA's competition without having to conform to the competition rules?

UEFA are a sanitised shower who exist in their own corporate bubble and deserve to be challenged whenever possible...there's a point of principle and feck the consequences.
    What is the principle though? I don't disagree with your opinion of UEFA, but how should Dundalk just ignore the consequences? How should they challenge UEFA? It's easy to say that, but how would Dundalk go about putting this into action? What would it involve? If Dundalk decided to just dismiss the consequences, they'd be banned from Europe and the FAI would probably suffer some form of penalty too. It's simply not realistic to tell Dundalk, "F*ck the consequences!"

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hmm, you're way too rational Danny!
    Remember plenty of protests at both home and elsewhere, which make a few flags look very tame.

It's not just down to Dundalk/LOI/Ireland, but up to as many people as possible to challenge UEFA's interfering and hypocrisy.
    Though these days we're probably waiting for some nerd to start a petition or Facebook page...
    FFS.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That's all well and good, but what use is it to Dundalk in the here and now? What can Dundalk do to challenge UEFA, even if they wanted to?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Plenty of petty rules do be broken all around the place.
    Not the least of which are grammar, it seems.

In fairness, Benno, that little transgression is Shakesperian compare to the toe-curling tripe the banned banner band have produced!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast