Thread: Sin Bins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,649 Posts

Sin Bins

"Michel Platini: Uefa chief wants sin-bin over yellow cards"

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25235277

Interesting stance from Platini and the concept of sin-binning is one that I agree with in principle. However, there is often a sizable number of yellow cards given in a game and maybe the yellows should stand for the minor offences, with a blue or green given for sin-bin worthy fouls (such as time wasting, diving, reckless tackles). Doing that would obviously require a significant re-writing of the referees rulebook.

Not sure I agree with the thoughts on not red-carding a GK who has conceded a penalty (perhaps the sin-bin would be a more suitable alternative) as there would be less reason for GKs not to concede that penalty. Conceding a penalty becomes more attractive to teams and cynical coaches/players...

Overall though, good to see some proactive, big picture thinking from leaders within the game. I feel that soccer is all too often stuck in tradition and very resistant to change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,353 Posts
    If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I think it could slowly ruin football.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A sin-binning for a yellow card would be madness. There'd have to be some sort of 'black card' intermediary, where somebody has done something that warrants temporary removal from the game, but isn't the same as a yellow in football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I think it could slowly ruin football.
    How so? Players and fans thought the same about changing the back pass rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    A sin-binning for a yellow card would be madness. There'd have to be some sort of 'black card' intermediary, where somebody has done something that warrants temporary removal from the game, but isn't the same as a yellow in football.
    Yeah, kind of what I was getting at in the first paragraph. It'd have to be an intermediate card for the more despicable/annoying stuff that is "ruining the game".

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,255 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    How so? Players and fans thought the same about changing the back pass rule.
    Clearly the back-pass rule was fixing something that was broken though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,649 Posts
    But there was also huge resistance to it in clubs and on the terraces at the time Stu. I remember it well. Though, at the same time, there was clearly plenty of recognition of the problem and easily enough to bring the rule change to fruition. I feel the same way about diving and general cheating at the moment - theres a growing recognition of the integrity problems football is experiencing due to these behaviours and so, even though Platinis proposal needs a lot of massaging, I could see a situation in the near future where there is the same desire to "fix" the game of these behaviours with rule changes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,353 Posts
    Creates unnecessary interruptions to the flow of play in my opinion if you have to switch players positions. During a sin bin time, a certain team will defend for all their worth and will make for a scrappy encounter that wouldn't be easy on the eye.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,255 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    But there was also huge resistance to it in clubs and on the terraces at the time Stu.
    Doesn't matter; it was fixing something that needed to be fixed. This isn't.

Think how much of a ruckus there is when a guy gets sent off; it's often a full minute before the game restarts after he proclaims his shock, remonstrates, and then trudges to the sidelines pointing out to his manager how he feels he's been wronged. Now imagine a (maybe slightly watered-down) version of that for every yellow. Nuts to that.

And for what, anyway? How would this be better than the current system? It'd be interesting to see if there's been any article on the psychological impact of playing on a yellow card. If there is - if players do play more cautiously having been warned - then I don't see how you can really want more than that tbh.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Awful idea would wreck the flow of a game & as anyone can see there are some very soft yellow cards given. A lot can happen in 10-15 minutes especially if a team are one or two men down they could be dominating and then a over ambitious tackle or bad ref decision completely turs the game and gave the opposition a unfair advantage.

I would agree that Goalies who concede a penalty should not automatically get send off, it should depend on the manner of the foul as it does for the rest of the players. Also agree cup Champions should be give the CL place even if in qualifying rounds, make more sense than a team the finished 3rd or 4th in the league

Only sin bin I would be for is the one they stuff Blatter in and then chuck it in the Atlantic

They should stop looking at areas there is no real problem with and focus on real issues like diving cheats etc.
    Last edited by Neish; 19/12/2013 at 10:51 PM.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    In my opinion the biggest flaw in the rules is allowing referees to book players for diving during a game. They have enough difficulty in judging penalties without figuring out in a split second if a player has just lost his balance, dived or was definitely fouled. It also adds even more mistrust and aggression towards officials when they get it badly wrong, I absolute hate it when a pundit says "well book him for diving then" if the pen wasn't awarded, as if every act of falling can be simplified into two categories. It's nonsense. The game should be reviewed afterwards, and anyone who blatantly dived gets a 3 game ban. If he does it again, a 5 game ban.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor K View Post
    In my opinion the biggest flaw in the rules is allowing referees to book players for diving during a game. They have enough difficulty in judging penalties without figuring out in a split second if a player has just lost his balance, dived or was definitely fouled. It also adds even more mistrust and aggression towards officials when they get it badly wrong, I absolute hate it when a pundit says "well book him for diving then" if the pen wasn't awarded, as if every act of falling can be simplified into two categories. It's nonsense. The game should be reviewed afterwards, and anyone who blatantly dived gets a 3 game ban. If he does it again, a 5 game ban.
    100% agree. But I think hefty fines(at least 50% of their weekly wage) should also be issued to the player who blatantly dives as well as ban, and if they a repeat offenders or a club have several players doing it he club also gets a hefty fine. When managers see that such fines may affect their transfer wage budgets they will soon start making players stop
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC