Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: limerick could play at thomond park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    People say it's the facilities that are the major problem with the league, then people debate whether playing in Thomond park is a good thing.
    MD

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    People say it's the facilities that are the major problem with the league, then people debate whether playing in Thomond park is a good thing.
    Perhaps, it is because we are fans and prefer a good atmosphere in a small ground rather than a sterile stadium that is practically empty?

I don't go to matches to study architecture.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    This should give a boast to the limerick support. I have never been inside the stadium but it looks impressive from outside and on tv. I have often been to Croke Park when its less than quarter full and the atmosphere is not bad at all. There was a great atmosphere at the Cup final this year with less than 1/3 capacity, could Limerick have any hope of getting crowds of around 5k ? One problem that might arise is that the catering facilities are not opened up due to the small crowds resulting in the casual fan staying away especially families.
    Only if we are serious title contenders.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Perhaps, it is because we are fans and prefer a good atmosphere in a small ground rather than a sterile stadium that is practically empty?

I don't go to matches to study architecture.
    I really don't think the size of the stadium has much to do with the atmosphere. I'd much prefer to stand in a 3/4-empty Thomond Park and enjoy some decent facilities than walking half the length of Tolka Park to take a **** against a brick and then have to wash my hands in rain water.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    The toilets in Tolka deserve a thread all of their own to be fair. The licensing committee should make Shels store a supply of penicillin in case some bloke catches knob rot taking a leak in there.
    Last edited by adamd164; 26/11/2012 at 9:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    They truly are awful.

I try to avoid it at all costs though sometimes the squeeze for the queues mire entertaining than what's out on the pitch.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I really don't think the size of the stadium has much to do with the atmosphere. I'd much prefer to stand in a 3/4-empty Thomond Park and enjoy some decent facilities than walking half the length of Tolka Park to take a **** against a brick and then have to wash my hands in rain water.
    I'd agree with this. I think the only reason that Thomond isn't ideal is because of how it'll appear on telly with small crowds or maybe to the casual bandwagoner who goes along for the bigger games.

But then you'd have to ask would a full Jackman Park actually give off a better image? Probably not!

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    All it will do is highlight how poor LOI crowds really are. 6,000-7,000 in Thomond park would even look poor on telly not to mind the crowds we might get.

If its a choice between pumping money into Jackman park and only having max crowds or 2,200 or playing a season in Thomond park I'd pick Thomond any day. A least we will have bar facilities, media facilities, decent toilets and a decent surface to play on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the atmosphere, shur the place will be so empty there will be a decent echo in the stands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    All it will do is highlight how poor LOI crowds really are. 6,000-7,000 in Thomond park would even look poor on telly not to mind the crowds we might get.

If its a choice between pumping money into Jackman park and only having max crowds or 2,200 or playing a season in Thomond park I'd pick Thomond any day. A least we will have bar facilities, media facilities, decent toilets and a decent surface to play on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the atmosphere, shur the place will be so empty there will be a decent echo in the stands.

would that not be terrible considering its a rugby pitch? I've never really payed any attention to it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    would that not be terrible considering its a rugby pitch? I've never really payed any attention to it.
    Why would it be any different? Pitches for football and rugby are the same. They will presumably be alternating weeks with Munster so there will be plenty of time for the surface to recover.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Between March and May Munster would probably only have about 5 games and from August to the end of October similar so there shouldn't be too much rugby on the pitch. At the moment it's in excellent condition but I have seen it shocking at times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Why would it be any different? Pitches for football and rugby are the same. They will presumably be alternating weeks with Munster so there will be plenty of time for the surface to recover.
    Rugby does far more damage to a pitch then soccer would surely with all the scrums and other crap tearing up the pitch.

Very little games according to Jofspring so should be fine really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah, I forgot about the seasons not overlapping as well. Rugby bangs up a pitch but once it's maintained properly it's as good as any other football pitch. It's not like Limerick will be playing 24 hours after Munster or anything.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Yeah, I forgot about the seasons not overlapping as well. Rugby bangs up a pitch but once it's maintained properly it's as good as any other football pitch. It's not like Limerick will be playing 24 hours after Munster or anything.
    munster have top grounds keepers it is a fantastic playing surface as another poster said munster will only have a hand full of games left to play at thomond they play alot in musgrave park in cork aswell pitch won't be a prob.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Will the atmosphere really be worse with 2000 people and 18000 empty seats than it would be with 2000 people, a cow field, the back of a centra, and a stand that's closed because it belongs to the rats now?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Is there any hope that the uncovered seats (tv gantry side) in Dalymount will open again. It should not cost that much to do that side of the ground up. It would be a nice place to sit on a fine summers evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Is there any hope that the uncovered seats (tv gantry side) in Dalymount will open again. It should not cost that much to do that side of the ground up. It would be a nice place to sit on a fine summers evening.
    Apparently it'd costs the guts of 40k to bring it up to current health and safety standards. Thats not including extra security costs etc for opening up that side of the ground. Considering Bohs can't fill hald their excellent Jodi stand most weeks, fair to say its not a priority
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    It would be a nice place to sit on a fine summers evening.
    It'd a nice place to break your neck after slipping on the moss on the steps too.
    Horrific stand, probably the most dangerous in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,349 Posts
    If only someone had a bit of money to do up Dayler. Would be fantastic too see it restored to it's 'heyday' as such.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345