Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roddy Collins running down the league on NewsTalk

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Roddy is one of the best half-dozen managers who has been around the LoI in recent times and getting Monaghan promoted last year was a real achievement. He also speaks a lot of sense when talking about the entertainment value of teams managed by Fenlon, that guy who was at drogheda, and O Neill's Shamrock Rovers, all those teams where made up of highly paid full-timers yet were awful to watch.
    I take it Roddy hasn't bothered looking back on the videotapes of his Bohs side. Clubs that win this league tend to play more direct football. It's a simple fact that in semi-professional leagues, the stronger and more athletic sides tend to triumph, and Roddy's winning sides were no exception. Sligo may buck the trend this year.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Spudlika from reading Monaghan Utd's press release I dont think they will ever come back to loi football.. What is your take on it?
    I'm not 100% sure either way, but they have a strong community base and if they continue to bring through young players it's a matter of time (4-5 years) until they get a solid group to re-enter the league.

3. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Getting the players isn't the issue. It's massively expensive to be an LOI club even before you pay a player or any staff, and I think more and more clubs are struggling to keep the show on the road.

Monaghan hadn't the support to appeal to like other clubs have been able to to muddle on after a crisis and that was probably a big factor in their demise, but they'll not be the last club to fold.

Indeed we probably won't have to wait long for the next to go belly up.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Roddy doesn't think much of the show grounds anyway, if his comments on MNS last night are anything to go on .... and being honest, its a great ground, when the new stand is done it'll be as good as Turner Cross imo
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Yeah I thought that was strange as well. Suppose he didn't want to admit anyone had a decent ground unless the council were paying for it which is what he was trying to pull Fran Gavin up over

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Getting the players isn't the issue. It's massively expensive to be an LOI club even before you pay a player or any staff, and I think more and more clubs are struggling to keep the show on the road.

Monaghan hadn't the support to appeal to like other clubs have been able to to muddle on after a crisis and that was probably a big factor in their demise, but they'll not be the last club to fold.

Indeed we probably won't have to wait long for the next to go belly up.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see a Monaghan team coming back to the league for a long time, if ever. There was a fair bit of schadenfreude about the club resigning from the league, mainly from local players with an inflated opinion of themselves... if the team played locals they'd lose and people wouldn't support MUFC because they were crap, if the team was winning then they were only a bunch of mercenary Dubs... I'd say that if 11 players from the town won the league then people would complain that they wore the wrong shade of blue or something. Plus the elements in the GAA would work hard to prevent a 'soccer' club gaining a good foothold in the region- this is a big barrier to getting an LoI club access to some of the schools in the town for example. But the main reason is that until the economy picks up significantly there just won't be the money around to support a league side, and potential supporters will be leaving Monaghan to get jobs.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMon View Post
    I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see a Monaghan team coming back to the league for a long time, if ever. There was a fair bit of schadenfreude about the club resigning from the league, mainly from local players with an inflated opinion of themselves... if the team played locals they'd lose and people wouldn't support MUFC because they were crap, if the team was winning then they were only a bunch of mercenary Dubs... I'd say that if 11 players from the town won the league then people would complain that they wore the wrong shade of blue or something. Plus the elements in the GAA would work hard to prevent a 'soccer' club gaining a good foothold in the region- this is a big barrier to getting an LoI club access to some of the schools in the town for example. But the main reason is that until the economy picks up significantly there just won't be the money around to support a league side, and potential supporters will be leaving Monaghan to get jobs.
    Precisely what goes on in Limerick. I must have heard hundreds of excuses not to support the league. Some people will just always have something to complain about. In saying that though despite our crowds not increasing much the attitude towards the club in the city at the moment is 100 times better than it was over the last 20 years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123