Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roddy Collins running down the league on NewsTalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Will Roddy take another job in LOI football? Dont think he's welcome back in Malta tbh
    He'll get his front door kicked in again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawnville Hoop View Post
    ..........think that fate is more likely to befall Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    What happened there?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Absolutely right. But at the same time, if the league was more popular and making more money, then maybe mons might be ok, and he might still be working. But then again, the cretins in monaghan might still have f*cked up. As GalwayRed said, I can understand his frustration.
    Not to detract from the thread but the people of Monaghan united for over thirty years tried in vein to build a league of Ireland club ,they did not always get things right and never claimed to be all knowing, they fell short when they did not get the money in that they hoped or expected , that along with a number of other factors caused the demise of Monaghan united and yes they mazy have made mistakes but they are not cretins and it's insulting to anybody who have worked the backsides off while spending their own money to establish football in a gaa heartland.
    I note that your club has changed hands a number of times through its lifetime and with the exception of tnb they were not cretins either.
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    - "The entertainment value is low because the players are those that could not make it in england and not the top players, whereas in the RDS you will see Sexton, O'Driscoll etc"
    I would disagree here. Some players are players that did not make it in england, but others are high quality players on their way to england. Look at Coleman, Mclean etc.
    That's splitting hairs and taking him too literally. We can watch European champions and genuine international class rugby players and teams in the RDS, we can't get anywhere near a football product like that. The FAI and clubs might be able to improve things somewhat but basic understanding of European football politics and economics means we'll never have a top drawer pro football product on our doorstep.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Roddy tried to be Roy Keane light, he spoke sense (he often does) and the only odd thing was describing himself - as noted earlier - as being a deep thinker of the game. I agree with him for the most part, even being a thinker. He's not dumb, he's a strange, damaged person who many people find it hard to stomach for a sustained period of time. He's not a bad coach, he's a decent motivator, can speak well at times but he just cannot see something through. It was a matter of time before he walked out on Mons or they went bust, time will tell the real background story. I know 2 people who he literally sent around the twist just with his behaviour and neediness. I'm dreading, absolutely dreading, if he comes near Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    i wanted to smash Pippa Middleton's back door in last year. Is this something similar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That's splitting hairs and taking him too literally. We can watch European champions and genuine international class rugby players and teams in the RDS, we can't get anywhere near a football product like that. The FAI and clubs might be able to improve things somewhat but basic understanding of European football politics and economics means we'll never have a top drawer pro football product on our doorstep.
    Oh I know we will never get European champions and international class players in the LOI, but to say that the league is nothing but england rejects is misleading IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I'm dreading, absolutely dreading, if he comes near Dundalk.
    Roddy wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't think Dundalk will have a selection of quality managers come the end of the year (if we survive that long). If it was a choice between McCaffrey or Roddy, there would be a clear winner for me. I don't think I am alone in saying this but McCaffrey doesn't have a clue. At least Roddy knows the league inside out, the type of players needed and to be fair he is a good motivator. But the record of the clubs he manage going broke is worrying, but that's hardly his fault rather those who run the club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Roddy is one of the best half-dozen managers who has been around the LoI in recent times and getting Monaghan promoted last year was a real achievement. He also speaks a lot of sense when talking about the entertainment value of teams managed by Fenlon, that guy who was at drogheda, and O Neill's Shamrock Rovers, all those teams where made up of highly paid full-timers yet were awful to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Will Roddy take another job in LOI football? Dont think he's welcome back in Malta tbh
    Why do people still believe this bullsh**? Go to Malta and talk to the club chairman and you will hear the real story as some mons fans did last summer. He is very welcome there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post
    Roddy wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't think Dundalk will have a selection of quality managers come the end of the year (if we survive that long). If it was a choice between McCaffrey or Roddy, there would be a clear winner for me. I don't think I am alone in saying this but McCaffrey doesn't have a clue. At least Roddy knows the league inside out, the type of players needed and to be fair he is a good motivator. But the record of the clubs he manage going broke is worrying, but that's hardly his fault rather those who run the club.
    But didn't half the players at Mons last year scarper to Dundalk this year to get away from him? What makes you think he'll motivate then at the Oriel?

Look, i know he is a character, and he's mad-cap and all that, probably great if you're out for a pint but then guy is a train wreck at the best of times and he's not far off the gombeem 'ahh sure what will he say next' type person we hear about. You cant take the guy seriously, and if he is the poster boy for the league then we should all throw the towel in now, along with Mons.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Wrong A Face.....a few of them went to Drogheda to go to their home town where Mick Cooke was managing them again. A few others ended up there when Roddy made it clear they didnt figure in his plans.

Wish you would all get your facts straight before posting.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Why do people still believe this bullsh**? Go to Malta and talk to the club chairman and you will hear the real story as some mons fans did last summer. He is very welcome there.
    Magicme, you should get your facts straight before posting, and not just buy Roddy's lies and self-deception. He's NOT welcome back in Malta - even his application for the Sliema job in March this year was laughed out of hand. Can you name the club chairman? The club didn't have a chairman! Roddy disgraced himself and made it nearly impossible for an Irish coach to get work in the country. One person who knows the full story and who spoke (very eloquently) about it on Radio 1 is someone UCD fans know quite well (former employee). He went to Malta (if I remember right he's got family from there) and interviewed the main people. So the lies Roddy spun last summer have long been found out as just that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Interesting how fans of every club apart from Monaghan are blaming Roddy for the club resigning from the league. He did a great job getting the team promoted on a shoestring budget last year, with no preseason, against very strong competition from Cork, Shels and Limerick. And his teams produced some of the nicest football I've ever seen at Gortakeegan. The players that left this year either went for more money and/or already lived in Drogheda. Whatever hope there was of getting more sponsorship/ticket sales in the top division under Roddy, there would be f*ck all chance in the first division under someone else and this situation would have only happened sooner.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    MagicMon, nobody is blaming Roddy for the club resigning, at least not solely. And while it's nice to think that he drew in many sponsors etc, it's a statement of fact that he has alienated far too many people and too much goodwill for him to be a real benefit to the club. He is a good coach, a good motivator and got the lucky breaks that Mick Cooke didn't, credit to Roddy for getting the club up, but that's that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    MagicMon, nobody is blaming Roddy for the club resigning, at least not solely. And while it's nice to think that he drew in many sponsors etc, it's a statement of fact that he has alienated far too many people and too much goodwill for him to be a real benefit to the club. He is a good coach, a good motivator and got the lucky breaks that Mick Cooke didn't, credit to Roddy for getting the club up, but that's that.
    Well it seemed to me that some posters thought that Roddy has snapped Michael Schlingermann up on a 500k a year contract or something... but maybe I'm just grouchy because I had sh*t Friday evening. I know Roddy didn't bring in sponsorship, but I also know that I heard Monaghan United mentioned more times on the radio, or on MNS, or on the internet, because of Roddy Collins and I don't see how that could have harmed sponsorship appeals. In my time supporting MUFC I've seen a lot of c*nts turn up, play sh*t and then f*ck off with their money but to give him full credit Roddy would do things like turn up at the Christmas shop or do interviews for Northern Sound, and guys like Alan Byrne and Aidan Collins actually played like they cared about the club and the fans. IMO its just a pity its those sorts of guys that are in this situation, and I hope they can go on to better things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Roddy is one of the best half-dozen managers who has been around the LoI in recent times and getting Monaghan promoted last year was a real achievement. He also speaks a lot of sense when talking about the entertainment value of teams managed by Fenlon, that guy who was at drogheda, and O Neill's Shamrock Rovers, all those teams where made up of highly paid full-timers yet were awful to watch.
    Fenlons League winning Bohs team were hardly "awful to watch".
    For a good period they were the best league of Ireland team I have ever seen.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMon View Post
    Well it seemed to me that some posters thought that Roddy has snapped Michael Schlingermann up on a 500k a year contract or something... but maybe I'm just grouchy because I had sh*t Friday evening. I know Roddy didn't bring in sponsorship, but I also know that I heard Monaghan United mentioned more times on the radio, or on MNS, or on the internet, because of Roddy Collins and I don't see how that could have harmed sponsorship appeals. In my time supporting MUFC I've seen a lot of c*nts turn up, play sh*t and then f*ck off with their money but to give him full credit Roddy would do things like turn up at the Christmas shop or do interviews for Northern Sound, and guys like Alan Byrne and Aidan Collins actually played like they cared about the club and the fans. IMO its just a pity its those sorts of guys that are in this situation, and I hope they can go on to better things.
    MagicMon, your club will rise again, it'll take a short time but it will, because there is a hard core of support there and it was a perfect storm of calamities that caused the club to go, not just one thing, one person or one moment. Roddy did well to build on the previous year and get you up, it might have been better to have let him go at the end of the season and blood someone else, though that's just supposition. It's sad, in a way, for Roddy as the blame will build up on him for this, as well as his reputation being destroyed further. He messed up at each club he's been with except Monaghan, I just hope that stands to him somewhere down the line.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Spudlika from reading Monaghan Utd's press release I dont think they will ever come back to loi football.. What is your take on it?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast