Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Europa League 2011

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    That lost money in gates is more than made up in TV revenue.
    I'm not even sure it is to be honest. I don't think you get that much for Europa games. Anyway though it could be shown at a later time with a great audience for the TV companies. It seems daft to me.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    You're guaranteed a million even if you lose all six games I think. So that would make up for E200k a match lost on gates, even if it happened three times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    I'm not even sure it is to be honest. I don't think you get that much for Europa games. Anyway though it could be shown at a later time with a great audience for the TV companies. It seems daft to me.
    Except it isn't about your team, which is small in european terms. There's 24 games on, and they're spread over 2 time periods to TV companies can get maximum bang for their buck.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You're guaranteed a million even if you lose all six games I think. So that would make up for E200k a match lost on gates, even if it happened three times.
    Guaranteed a million? Maybe in prize money but not TV money.

Except it isn't about your team, which is small in european terms. There's 24 games on, and they're spread over 2 time periods to TV companies can get maximum bang for their buck.
    We might be in a small league but as a club Celtic are not small in any comparison, we have one of the biggest worldwide support on the planet as our crowds in the US and Australia show.

I still don't get why they do it. It's only TV stations from the countries involved, so with all the different channels showing the British teams why they need to be on at different times. I wouldn't imagine the TV viewing figures would be that great for 6pm games as well. There's enough UK TV channels showing the Europa that they can fit them all on one time slot, they can manage it for the CL games, not sure why this is different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Guaranteed a million? Maybe in prize money but not TV money.
    It's one and the same. And again, that's if you lose all your games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It's one and the same. And again, that's if you lose all your games.
    Not really, as best I know ESPN buy the rights off it for our home games, it's not an arrangement with UEFA. For previous games, granted they were qualifiers, some games couldn't be shown because Celtic chose not to sell the rights as they wanted a bigger gate, so if UEFA make the TV cash could it just be for the group stages and not the qualifiers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    granted they were qualifiers
    There you go.

Group stage TV deals are done centrally, as far as I'm aware. The cash is split into the prize money. That's why TV stations can't buy individual games for the group stages; they have to buy into the groups package.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    How myopic are managers? I saw Lennon saying that Hooper moved away or held his ground (can't remember which) to let the Udinese player past when it is obvious from the video and he actually moves towards the player and catches him. The old hands stretched outwards is usually a sure sign of guilt. A soft one ok but he definitely tries to impede him. I can understand the manager's frustration but I think it was a peno, albeit a soft one.

Terrible howler by Doyle for Birmingham to concede a goal. Not sure how he did in the rest of the game.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    It was never a penalty and we deserved the win. At home we're such a different propostion. Just wish we could sort out the away form.

34,000 or something at it, lowest attendance I can ever remember for a European game. UEFA need to stop this 6pm kick off business. It was awful seeing so many empty when we're playing good oppositon. We had 52,000 for Sion and then 34k for a Serie A team. Stop the stupid kick-off times, UEFA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Doyle made some great saves for Birmingham but that was some howler alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    The top two teams by some distance in the Premiership outplayed by also rans in their leagues. Bilbao played Man U off the park. Perhaps they should take a leaf out of Trap's book and play the game in the opponent's half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Every game is different. I don't but into this lark of a couple of matches proving that one league is better or worse than another. Chelsea knocked Valencia out of the Champions League, it should stand to reason that United would beat Bilbao but football doesn't work like that. Also, we are talking about a United team without Vidic and Ferdinand. They would probably still have been outplayed last night but it's doubtful they'd have given up as many chances/goals. It is obvious though that Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal aren't anywhere near as good as they were a few years back.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    What a shocking display of wasteful shooting by Bilbao

Man Utd were limp, hard to believe this was a Fergie team throwing in the towel at half time, in a do or die European game. I almost felt some sympathy for Rooney, a football genius lost in a wilderness.

I heard some BBCR5 pundit this evening describing the Portuguese league as a nothing league.
    I switched from the Sporting v Man City game to watch the 2nd half of Shalke v Twente, a rip roaring game, the Germans do like putting the Dutch back into their place.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Only saw about 60 mins of tonight's game but really enjoyed it. I thought it was a generally very high standard of football and showed that the game can also thrive outside the bloated commercial giants of the game. The atmosphere was fantastic, and in a way I feel sorry for the FAI getting FC Braga in Dublin. Those two teams in Dublin last year would have been brilliant.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It looked like one game too many for Bilbao. More than Barcelona even they seem to play the same 11 over and over and they looked a bit off the pace tonight. Atletico were outstanding though. Hard to believe these clubs are also-rans in Spanish terms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Opened the Sports Section of the Daily Telegraph this morning to read a report of the game. 6 pages dedicated to the financial state of the premiership teams (you'd like that Stutts), a fairly small report on the Birmingham/Blackpool play off game and nothing (other than the result) on the Europa Final. Bizarre.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Bilbao were flat in the first half. They did rest about 6 players in their last league game, generally they did prioritise the EL over La Liga.

Some outstanding games this year in the EL, right up to the Final. Tough on Bilbao but Atletico had their measure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Opened the Sports Section of the Daily Telegraph this morning to read a report of the game. 6 pages dedicated to the financial state of the premiership teams (you'd like that Stutts), a fairly small report on the Birmingham/Blackpool play off game and nothing (other than the result) on the Europa Final. Bizarre.
    It's the Torygraph. I bet it was full of rugger and cricket!

Falcao was brilliant last night. Man City and Chelsea will be sniffing around.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    It's the Torygraph. I bet it was full of rugger and cricket!

Falcao was brilliant last night. Man City and Chelsea will be sniffing around.
    It's normally very good for football and WW2 obits which are my main interests. Which tv channels broadcast the game? Looks like across the water the CL, the PL and qualifying for the CL to make money is all that matters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12