206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Uh oh!
    Huh??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Spain and Belgium have kicked off again today. Spain take an early 1-0 lead again, from a penalty this time, and Belgium have had their goalkeeper sent off for giving away the foul.

Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    Paris 2004
    I'll maybe grant you that one; our best performance under Kerr. I have to point out, however, that we wore white socks that day.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Didn't even mention it on the 6.01. WTF is going on???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Spain beat Belgium 4-1 earlier, with two of their goals coming in stoppage time.

UEFA article focusing on Anthony O'Connor's role in our win yesterday: http://www.uefa.com/under19/news/newsid=1652326.html

Despite scoring both goals in the Republic of Ireland's 2-1 UEFA European Under-19 Championship triumph against Greece, defender Anthony O'Connor said it was a "big collective effort" that earned his side maximum points from their Group A opener in Buftea.

Paul Doolin's side took an early lead in stormy conditions at the Football Centre FRF when O'Connor volleyed in from a Sean Murray corner in the second minute. Their opponents responded quickly through a Giorgos Katidis strike yet Ireland's set-piece strength won the day when the Cork-born O'Connor rose at the far post to head in Samir Carruthers's centre shortly after the break.

"It was hard work out there last night and I'm a bit tired to be honest; Greece are very technical and they move the ball well," the Blackburn Rovers FC defender told UEFA.com. "Before the game the conditions were horrific but in the dressing room the manager told us to keep focused on what we had to do and thankfully we went out and did the business."

The 18-year-old was last on target in an international game in 2009, a 4-2 friendly win against Poland in Dublin at U17 level. This time around he agreed that he and his family were "obviously delighted" with his efforts against Greece.

"Competitively they were my first two goals," he said. "My mam and dad phoned me afterwards and told me how happy they were with what had happened; they were proud as punch. Having said that, it wasn't just about what I did, it was a big team performance overall that saw us through."

Paul Doolin's side qualified for the finals after emerging unbeaten and without having conceded a goal in an elite round group that contained Poland, Ukraine and Italy. According to O'Connor, Wednesday night's result will help to further strengthen the bond among a group who he says are "all great friends."

"The atmosphere among all of us is outstanding," he said. "I have my [Blackburn] club-mate John O'Sullivan here which is great but the whole group bond well. On the pitch our strength lies in our organisation; that's a huge thing for us. No matter what team we play against they will find it very hard to break us down."

Ireland's next opponents are the Czech Republic who also enjoyed an opening success, 3-1 against hosts Romania, and O'Connor said Irish attention will turn swiftly to that task. "To be honest before we came out here we were just looking to the first game against Greece and thankfully we got the result," he said. "We have the Czechs next and we'll take what comes. The ambition for the game is just to get a result. We will obviously go out to win the game and will try to do so in our own style. Hopefully we will get out of the group and then we can take it from there."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Sometimes I think my cup is permanently half empty but.......

by the sound of things (on the text commentary) we were giving it our all in the physical sense while the Greeks had the technical advantage in the game?

As glad as I am that we've won, it is hard to escape the fact that those lads will grow up to be physical players rather than ones who can retain the ball and create opportunities (which as we all know is what's missing from Trap's senior team).

Is that a fair assessment? Maybe someone who saw the game could elaborate?
    I think fatgirl might be right on this one - by U19 stage the physical teams are usually found out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    I think fatgirl might be right on this one - by U19 stage the physical teams are usually found out.
    Apologies - I was not wearing my glasses.

8. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    haha your lucky I am in Romania!

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    O' Connor has been spoken of in glowing terms in the last few years, so hopefully this is his breakthrough year.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...t-2828395.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Doolin commented on our "fantastic" passing game in the second half that helped contribute to the victory: http://www.uefa.com/under19/news/newsid=1651822.html

GREECE 1-2 REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
    Leonidas Vokolos, Greece coach

Congratulations to Ireland for their win; we wish them the best of luck from here. For us it wasn't a very good game especially in the first half. We conceded two goals we shouldn't have. We knew Ireland were good at set pieces but we weren't concentrating in those particular moments. In the second half we tried more and we had more possession but it wasn't to be. I look at it like we have lost a battle but not the war.

Paul Doolin, Republic of Ireland coach
    We started off very well with a great goal [from Anthony O'Connor]; for a centre-half he took it brilliantly. Greece came back with a stunning equaliser of their own. They have very good technical players and enjoyed good spells in the game. Some of our football was excellent and we also enjoyed good passages of play. In the second half our passing was fantastic. You think before the game that if you can't win then you certainly don't want to lose. All in all we are very happy; we've had a great run of results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    any videos of Greece game?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    any videos of Greece game?
    It's not looking likely. Unless Eurosport happen to show a few during their coverage tomorrow or something, although they don't usually hang around with analysis and often go straight to some other event as soon as the match they're broadcasting is finished.

Goals from Spain's 4-1 victory over Belgium here if interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym1yEMVBp8U

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Very good interview with Sean Murray:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...301201089.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I saw that, the point as I should have realised you wouldn't get is, does he turn into another Jonathan Douglas..... Get with it, keep the focus, I won't put a question mark beside the "get with it" either to confuse the situation further
    The simple reason I didn't get it, is because gifted and all as I am, I still cannot read well hidden intentions, disguised either by silence or obfuscation.

I just assumed you were making some snide remark about the modestly talented Douglas, who afair did more than okay in his only competitive start and did his wee county proud.
    Last edited by geysir; 23/07/2011 at 11:32 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You (almost) assumed right, i wouldn't say snide. Anyway so long as your memories are misty eyed, but you recall with affection and pride thats the most important thing.

Either way though, it is still one step (or 2) further than anyone from Roscommon.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Links for the game here.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Will be starting the liveblog soon.
    Ireland: McCarey; Doherty, Egan (C), O'Connor, Williams; Carruthers, Hendrick, Forde, O'Sullivan; Murray, Smith.
    Czech Rep: Koublek; Brabec (C), Janos, Kalas, Kaderabek; Sladky, Skalak, Jelecek, Krejci; Prikryl, Hala.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    any links working?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Have a Sopcast stream working. Perfect. Teams just out.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Great to see Dunphy is back in football instead of spoofing on tv. I wonder can he do the job against Ireland today?

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast