Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 351 of 387 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353361 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,020 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Given the subject matter I was interested to read this article in the IT which was published after the IFART qualified for Euro2016:

But it was this stand out statement which really sums up the perception of the NI-fan cohort:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Harrison
    Loyalist Eddie Harrison (72) was enjoying the atmosphere at the 1st Shankill Northern Ireland Supporters Club.
    “It was an outstanding result,” he said. “Magic atmosphere. When they scored I lowered the TV and you could have heard the roar from Windsor Park. Northern Ireland is my team. I don’t follow the Republic. We are Northern Ireland.
    “Protestants play for Northern Ireland and Catholics play for the Republic of Ireland, I don’t think there will be a united Ireland team. We like to have our own teams.
    “Lots of Catholics support Northern Ireland and that is certainly the way it should be, as long as they stand for the Queen, that’s all we want to know.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...ries-1.2385859

I mean, really? I know Eddie isn't obviously representative of the all fans of IFART, but to deny that this attitude doesn't pervade amongst a sizable proportion of the fan-base is denial at a level that even I can't fathom.

---

I would love to have a United team and I'm sure at some point it will happen, but the stuff coming out of GR is rather something.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I mean, really? I know Eddie isn't obviously representative of the all fans of IFART, but to deny that this attitude doesn't pervade amongst a sizable proportion of the fan-base is denial at a level that even I can't fathom
    Who's denying it? The guy gurning about strawmen upthread must have been thinking of you.

I would love to have a United team and I'm sure at some point it will happen, but the stuff coming out of GR is rather something.
    Good luck with your delusions.

You could also try answering my point, although it does need marginally more thought than repeating the same fart gag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Who's denying it? The guy gurning about strawmen upthread must have been thinking of you.

Good luck with your delusions.

You could also try answering my point, although it does need marginally more thought than repeating the same fart gag.
    I enjoy my delusions. I call them hope though.

You see, as an 80s child anything to do with the NI-team makes me uneasy in fact even referring to them as NI hurts my Nationalist sensibilities (and I don't like being hurt) hence the light-heart IFART acronym. Surely you have a sense of humour?

GR, you seem to have that proto-Unionist default position of not really listening to what's being said and dismissing out of hand because you're right and we should just accept it as such.

The great failure of the IFA is that they haven't garnered support in the near-hundred years of partition of the country and associations, from the Nationalist community. It just hasn't happened.

And that's okay, but leaving all that aside: if you were to just consider a United Ireland team for a second what form would you think it could take if there was broad support for it?

Let's pretend for a second.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post

GR, you seem to have that proto-Unionist default position of not really listening to what's being said and dismissing out of hand because you're right and we should just accept it as such.
    A bit ironic when you consider that people keep saying 'but what about an all-Ireland team' despite the number of times he's said he has no interest in even considering the concept of one.

Considering you think the likes of Eddie Harrison (you quoted him above) represent a sizeable proportion of the NI support, what is the point the discussion at all?
    Last edited by osarusan; 08/12/2015 at 3:21 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    A bit ironic when you consider that people keep saying 'but what about an all-Ireland team' despite the number of times he's said he has no interest in even considering one.

considering you think the likes of Eddie Harrison (you quoted him above) represent a sizeable proportion of the NI support, what is the point the discussion at all?
    But he keeps getting involved in this discussion though?

Someone posted a poll. GR dismissed it. GR has his own thoughts about it and that's fine.

The rest of us on the otherhand...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BS
    hence the light-heart IFART acronym. Surely you have a sense of humour?
    Clearly not, sorry.

GR, you seem to have that proto-Unionist default position of not really listening to what's being said and dismissing out of hand because you're right and we should just accept it as such
    I'm post-unionist, actually- might be an idea to have a dictionary to hand before showing off on here.

I've read all the comments to which I've later replied. Unlike you, as per my previous reply. You want to be dismissed? No problem. Do better.

The great failure of the IFA is that they haven't garnered support in the near-hundred years of partition of the country and associations, from the Nationalist community. It just hasn't happened
    Broadly agreed- although there have been times past (the 80s, for example) when they had more than now. Ask yer parents or their generation.

And that's okay, but leaving all that aside: if you were to just consider a United Ireland team for a second what form would you think it could take if there was broad support for it?
    I've no problem with the one you already have- a better question would be why you do.

Anything beyond that is so improbable I honestly don't know how I'd react to it.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    More pompous drivel, change the record...
    Your whataboutery is tedious in the extreme!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Clearly not, sorry.

I'm post-unionist, actually- might be an idea to have a dictionary to hand before showing off on here.
    You're republican?

Or is that like post-nationalism... ie. head-in-the-sand or 90s kids?

I've read all the comments to which I've later replied. Unlike you, as per my previous reply. You want to be dismissed? No problem. Do better.
    I can only dip in and out. But your responses have been pretty GR-esque from what I've seen. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that assumptions I make might have a shred of accuracy. We've both been here a while. I think we can be confident in those assumptions.

Broadly agreed- although there have been times past (the 80s, for example) when they had more than now. Ask yer parents or their generation.
    My parents are working-class Dubs and unlike their son they never dabbled in the Troubled Arts.

I'm sure MON and PJ helped with that somewhat. Plus the FAI's team being a sham helped.

I've no problem with the one you already have- a better question would be why you do.

Anything beyond that is so improbable I honestly don't know how I'd react to it.
    But does that not equate to a 'them and us' situation which flies in the face of what the IFA want?

I mean, every time a player declares for us we are accused of numerous things. And given this fact a 'mono-cultural' IFART team is hardly a good thing.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Bonnie,
    GR doesn't need feeding, but needs to lose weight!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    what is the point the discussion at all?
    Trolls (sorry, Bonnie) and not-Louth based halfwits aren't the problem. It's the otherwise intelligent who just have an obsession.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Bonnie,
    GR doesn't need feeding, but needs to lose weight!
    Can I still get him a Kronenburg next summer though?

Trolls (sorry, Bonnie) and not-Louth based halfwits aren't the problem. It's the otherwise intelligent who just have an obsession.
    That is quite the accusation sir. After 7 years and nearly 10000 posts I would suggest withdrawing that... And perhaps stop refereeing the discussion.
    That's the mods job. Report posts or leave the threads.

Also, no pint for you in France.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 08/12/2015 at 4:14 PM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    WTF are you on (about)?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A bit ironic when you consider that people keep saying 'but what about an all-Ireland team' despite the number of times he's said he has no interest in even considering the concept of one.

Considering you think the likes of Eddie Harrison (you quoted him above) represent a sizeable proportion of the NI support, what is the point the discussion at all?
    I don't think anybody's saying it for his benefit though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's precisely it. Osa does like to defend our loyalist brethern lest they be offended. I'd hate loyalists ever to fear being a minority. Oh wait...

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ha ha, Chas spot on too, for once!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    Nobody is to use the IFART acronym when referring to the Northern Ireland football association. It was moderately funny the first time, now it's annoying. It's either the IFA, or the Irish Football Association
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    What would the T stand for?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    What would the T stand for?
    I don't care, and the discussion is over
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    His = who?

Gather Round? He's been asked the question directly, so his input is sought. Despite the fact that it certainly doesn't seem to be for his benefit, seeing as he has no time for the concept at all, people keep asking him.

Or 'his' = that NI fan? In which case, as danny was careful to say that it would all have to be mutually agreed compromise and so on, just how much compromise do you think that guy is interested in?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except he's not interested in the main.
    As yer man said, it's all about point-scoring, at best...

24. Thanks From: