Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delaney's wages

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Delaney's wages

According to the RTE news report this morning, John Delaney took a pay cut of 17,500 when he signed his new contract. He now earns €420,000 per annum. Thats more than the Taoiseach earns and more than the combined wages of the CEOs of the GAA and iRFU. How can this be allowed to happen when the Association is in the red to the tone of many, many millions. it goes to show the mindset of the so called officers of the FAI. It is no wonder that our game is a shambles in this country, when we have these self-interested imbeciles running the game. Speaking as someone who was involved in grass roots football for many many years, I'm glad to be no longer involved.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It'll be interesting how the usual gimps that jump to his defence, defend this one.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    that is a mad salary alright. sure trap is paid twice what maradonna was on with argentina and only capello (£6m, totally mad!) seems to earn more as a national manager. sums up this country as a whole with its ridiculous salaries

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    It is no wonder that our game is a shambles in this country
    The game is certainly not in a shambles
    Please explain your statement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    that is a mad salary alright. sure trap is paid twice what maradonna was on with argentina and only capello (£6m, totally mad!) seems to earn more as a national manager. sums up this country as a whole with its ridiculous salaries
    Well the manager's job ins't that attractive to the foreign coaches the FAI craved so I can understand them setting that salary that high (even if I think its ridiculous).

There's simply no excuse for Delaney's salary being so high (when he was effectively promoted up through the ranks from volunteer)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Delaney's salary is insane...absolutely insane. I'm disgusted to hear that.

On trap's note, the only way we'll get top class managers of the national team is with high salaries. It shouldn't have to be that way, but it is

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It's a disgrace, but to whom can we report or complain about this? Ordinarily I would suggest a local TD or the government in general, but am I right in that the government can't lean on the FAI at all without being punished by FIFA for "political interference"? UEFA / FIFA certainly aren't going to pressurise one of their own to take a wage cut, so it's hard to see how Delaney could be made accountable, bar (perhaps) media pressure. Perhaps we sould start sending letters to the various soccer editors in the national papers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    I dont think 400,000 for someone who is in charge of the national program is that out of hand honestly. How much do you think that job should be salaried for? Someone is going to do it for free?
    And about Trap, we all whined (including me) when Staunton was manager, as he was awful, but i bet he made a lot less.
    Would you want to go back to that? As Liam Neeson says in Schindlers List...."Nice things cost money."
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    anyone know what the heads of the FA, FAW and SFA are on, for comparison's sake?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I dont think 400,000 for someone who is in charge of the national program is that out of hand honestly. How much do you think that job should be salaried for? Someone is going to do it for free?
    Do you think a salry of even 200k would be deemed cheap?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    And about Trap, we all whined (including me) when Staunton was manager, as he was awful, but i bet he made a lot less.
    Would you want to go back to that? As Liam Neeson says in Schindlers List...."Nice things cost money."
    Is he though? I would classify the likes of Wim Koevermans et al as being those actually in charge of football's development in this country, John Delaney is just the chief executive who takes the plaudits and does the photo-shoots.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    17k is a pitiful salary cut when it only brings you down to 420k, but it's what these people earn.

The FAI is a private organisation (albeit a government-supported one). In business, the highest salaries are paid out to the executives who enhance the company's bottom line and for all his failings Delaney has presided over a period where the FAI's turnover has increased dramatically. At the moment, what he brings to the FAI appears to be worth far more than his salary.

It's the same principle that caused the FAI to gamble on Trapattoni's high salary - a million a year (or whatever it is) is a huge amount for them to pay out, but it's peanuts compared to the millions they'd get if they qualified for a major tournament. Countries like Spain and Germany don't have to offer that kind of money because of a) the prestige of the job and b) they're virtually guaranteed qualification anyway.

Similarly, some of the highest-paid executives in the world sit on the boards of charities.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    In business, the highest salaries are paid out to the executives who enhance the company's bottom line and for all his failings Delaney has presided over a period where the FAI's turnover has increased dramatically.
    Big difference between turnover and the bottom line...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    In a for-profit company, yes, but the FAI is essentially a not-for-profit organisation so turnover would be the headline figure.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Well, not entirely. No good increasing turnover from, say, E50m to E75m while in the same period going from a E2m profit to a E10m loss. (I know the point you're making about there being no point increasing profit to E10m when you should have spent it on projects though).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    A surplus is handy to build up the FAI cash reserves.

I think he is doing well as CEO. probably almost worth his salary. A reasonable case can be put in his defense to justify the amount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's exactly it. The FAI doesn't produce anything so the only real drain on resources is going to be excessive salaries, expenses and debt from building the stadium. Once they have sufficient cash reserves, there's no need to be running at a surplus. I saw Delaney was congratulating himself for making a "profit" last year - it sounds good, but it could just as easily be a result of poor budgeting than improved performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shilts View Post
    The game is certainly not in a shambles
    Please explain your statement
    Welcome onboard JD. Glad you finally joined us.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's exactly it. The FAI doesn't produce anything so the only real drain on resources is going to be excessive salaries, expenses and debt from building the stadium. Once they have sufficient cash reserves, there's no need to be running at a surplus. I saw Delaney was congratulating himself for making a "profit" last year - it sounds good, but it could just as easily be a result of poor budgeting than improved performance.
    I guess the reserves have been eaten into these last 2 years.
    The FAI CEO is a nasty place to be. Even if you paid the FAI to do the job there would be people queueing up to stab you. And there are the LOI clubs to control who are habitually prone to anarchy.
    Naturally Delaney will promote any positive news and connect it with his office. And if he is smart enough, manage to deflect focus from the problems/ poor decisions. That's basic survival.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Just for organizing the League v Man United fiasco, Delaney should be sacked.

21. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast