Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Cox (F Western Sydney Wanderers b.1987)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    You're more grumpy today than usual, Murfinator?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Very interesting snippet here about how Cox, Tardelli and Roy Hodgson from todays Examiner.

It was Tardelli who scouted one of the success stories of the last few games, the West Brom striker Simon Cox — with, as it turns out, more than a little help from the club manager.

"I saw him and I spoke also with Roy Hodgson and asked about him. He told me he is a good player, he is skilful, he works very hard for the team and he is a good boy. It was the first time a manager rang me and told me whether a player would play or not before a game, so I went to watch him and he played well. We have a good group now but we hope we can still find other players like him."

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    "he is a good boy." - definitely the kind of thing Hogson would say. Could be a nice guy to have in our corner should Steven Reid reconsider his retirement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Fair play to Roy Hodgson for playing his part. Nice to see a club manager encouraging players when it comes to international football.

In fairness though, it was Cox himself who made the first positive sounds back in 2009 and was apparently mentioning his availability to Reading teammates Doyle and Hunt even earlier than that.

He surely does come across as a good lad alright. Pleased to see him getting off to a good start given his eagerness to be involved.
    Last edited by Sullivinho; 10/06/2011 at 3:05 AM. Reason: link issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Fair play to Roy Hodgson for playing his part. Nice to see a club manager encouraging players when it comes to international football.

In fairness though, it was Cox himself who made the first positive sounds back in 2009 and was apparently mentioning his availability to Reading teammates Doyle and Hunt even earlier than that.

He surely does come across as a good lad alright. Pleased to see him getting off to a good start given his eagerness to be involved.
    Stories abound that he's the new Gary Waddock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Stories abound that he's the new Gary Waddock!
    What's this Bonnie?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Story I heard before and was actually reiterated here recently that Jack regretted bringing Stapo to Italy because all he did was whinge and has said that he wished he brought Waddock instead of Frank because although he was wasn't as talented he was much better to have around for morale etc.

Not saying Coxy isn't talented just that it reminds me if this story.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Sorry, yes I do remember you mentioning that before.
    And yes, I've heard the same stories from the week or so the team spent together. He seemingly took everyone by surprise and was a major part of the bonding. Astonishing to think that has happened after week1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Shows what a bit of enthusiasm will do fur the team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Story I heard before and was actually reiterated here recently that Jack regretted bringing Stapo to Italy because all he did was whinge and has said that he wished he brought Waddock instead of Frank because although he was wasn't as talented he was much better to have around for morale etc.

Not saying Coxy isn't talented just that it reminds me if this story.
    Yep, I referred to that last week too, and Clive Woodward's "termites" analogy. That's one really important result from the last fortnight - the squad mentality, unity and sense of purpose.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yep, I referred to that last week too, and Clive Woodward's "termites" analogy. That's one really important result from the last fortnight - the squad mentality, unity and sense of purpose.
    Indeed it was you stutts. Look where it got woodward.

Also might I throw this in there. Compare the ability of the dutch team under marwijk to those down the years. There's certainly a step down in ability but the attitude Is far superior.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    I was laughed out of it, but I still think some of our back 4 are better than the Dutch back 4 that got to a WC Final, and has won 22 out their last 23 competitive games.

I think Dunne, O'Shea and Given are better than their Dutch counterparts. I even thought at the time that Stephen Carr could have been their right back. Age didn't hold Van Bronckhorst back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Indeed it was you stutts. Look where it got woodward.

Also might I throw this in there. Compare the ability of the dutch team under marwijk to those down the years. There's certainly a step down in ability but the attitude Is far superior.
    It helps that van Marwijk is a belter of a manager too though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I was laughed out of it, but I still think some of our back 4 are better than the Dutch back 4 that got to a WC Final, and has won 22 out their last 23 competitive games.

I think Dunne, O'Shea and Given are better than their Dutch counterparts. I even thought at the time that Stephen Carr could have been their right back. Age didn't hold Van Bronckhorst back.
    I don't rate Steklenberg at all, and am surprised by how much he's sought after. He's good, but he's not better than Given. As a partnership Dunne and O'Shea are much better, but now at full back we lag behind greatly. van der viel and peters are great now, and will get better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Stekelenberg has the VDS-like physique that has become the vogue for keepers now. It's just assumed that tall thin keepers are good keepers, but in my opinion it doesn't equate. Schwarzer is assumed to be a top keeper but it's easy to look good at Fulham. He had a mare of a World Cup. His judgment was flawed and his handling poor. How he was deemed to be better than Shay by many (e.g., Arsenal) was amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Scored tonight against Bournemouth in the Cocaworthlittle Cup
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Gets a start v Arsenal
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    West Brom: Simon Cox considering move away from the Hawthorns

SIMON Cox has conceded that he might need to move away from Albion to fulfil his ambitions of playing in Euro 2012.
    The Republic of Ireland international has remained loyal to Albion in the past, despite being linked with several clubs last season.
    Those gestures have drawn praise from boss Roy Hodgson, but the 24-year-old now admits the time might be right to move on.
    Cox, who has started just one Premier League game this season, knows that he will need plenty of game time to convince Giovanni Trapattoni to pick him for his Poland/Ukraine-bound Ireland squad next summer.
    And that might mean a move away from the Hawthorns either on loan or permanently.
    Cox intends to use the coming weeks to decide his future before the January transfer window opens.
    “I’m never happy when I’m not playing,” said Cox.
    “I would like to play more and it might be something I have to look at in the Christmas period.
    “I might have to look at what I do but it’ll be decision made then, not anytime soon.
    “If that is to happen then it’ll be a decision that suits everyone concerned - myself, my family, the club and if there is a club who would take me on loan or more.
    “It’s a decision that’ll be made further down the line.
    “The manager has said some kind things.
    “But if you don’t play then you can’t show what you can do.
    “I want to be in the best physical shape possible and in the best mental state to give myself the best chance of getting to the Euros.
    “My form has to be good and that will only happen if I’m playing games.
    “So I will have to look at what the manager thinks, what he wants to do - we have the January window coming up and he might want to bring people in himself too.
    “Maybe he might think the time is right for me to go somewhere else. Obviously there are still a few weeks to go but we will see how it all unfolds.”
    Zoltan Gera’s recent injury provided an opportunity for Graham Dorrans at QPR.
    But Cox believes he is also capable of stepping into that role, despite being a more natural striker.
    “I am happy playing in that role, I played there under Robbie (Di Matteo) and last season too.
    “Don’t get me wrong, I would love to play in a 4-4-2 as a centre forward but we don’t always play that way.
    “And if there is a role for me then it’s about getting into the team and showing what you can do.
    “It’s up to me to get into the side by hook or by crook.”

Source: birminghammail.net
    "Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I was anticipating a story like this regarding Cox in the run-up to the window. He's the odd one out at this point when it comes to our strikers and their minutes on the pitch. Not that Trap's selection process would rest entirely on that.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Hopefully he'll get a Premiership move, because I think he's deserving of that level, not just on the basis of his international form but some of the glimpses he showed last season at WBA. But in fairness to Hodgson, he's left Cox with the unenviable task of dismantling Long. I think he'd fit in at many of the second-half sides. If he stepped down to Championship level there are a lot of variables to take into consideration in relation to his own form and the form of the side he's joining in a very competitive league. A few months powering a side to play-offs/promotion wouldn't do him any harm.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast