Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Aer Lingus to LA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Aer Lingus to LA

I'm looking at flying to LA next year from London, and looking at the prices tonight I see that it is far cheaper to fly to Dublin and fly from there (all Aer Lingus) than to go with Virgin (my usual choice). Before I book, can anyone tell me, based on experience or report any of the following of the economy trip:

1. How are they with the transfers?
    2. Do they charge / charge much for luggage, & how much can you bring?
    3. Is the entertainment up to the knocker - it will be a long time in a steel tube with a combination of children, silent farters and the inside of my head for company?
    4. How is the food?
    5. Is there anything to do within a half hour of O'Hare Airport in Chicago on a Sunday?
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Usually.

I usually fly Aer Lingus to the U.S although next Sunday im going with Delta so will be interesting to compare.
    To answer a few of your questions,the food is pretty basic but edible(unlike some airlines).
    The entertainment is ok i suppose,a recent movie,an episode of Friends/Simpsons/Home Improvement etc and a tourist video about where your going to-standard stuff basically.
    For Delta now its 50lbs limit for one bag and 20lbs limit carry-on bag,i assume its the same for every transatlantic flight reguardless of Airline.
    By the way,i highly recommend going to San Francisco as opposed to LA,LA is a bit of a tourist trap to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    I've had no trouble, but Chicago can be crazy busy and/or covered in snow and ice - I've spent the guts of 90 minutes at a time just sitting on runways there.

I've only ever travelled light with them.

3. Is the entertainment up to the knocker - it will be a long time in a steel tube with a combination of children, silent farters and the inside of my head for company?
    A couple of films which have been edited to pieces - unless you're fine with silently counting the threads in the headrest in front of you, bring a book.

4. How is the food?
    You won't die. No need for anything extra, unless you'd like to keep a bottle of water handy.

5. Is there anything to do within a half hour of O'Hare Airport in Chicago on a Sunday?
    I've never been outside the airport, sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'm looking at flying to LA next year from London, and looking at the prices tonight I see that it is far cheaper to fly to Dublin and fly from there (all Aer Lingus) than to go with Virgin (my usual choice). Before I book, can anyone tell me, based on experience or report any of the following of the economy trip:

I presume if its via Chicago its a United Codeshare from ORD to LAX. You may or may not pre-clear customs and immigration at Dublin. Not all flights do, at least until Terminal 2 at Dublin opens. Assuming you don't pre-clear, you land at international Terminal 5 at O'Hare, go through immigration, pick up bags, go through customs and immediately put bags on a belt at the transfer desk. You then get a little shuttle train to the United terminal (5 mins). If you do pre-clear, you won't have to do the immigration thing and possibly not the customs thing. Point above about Chicago in the winter is very valid. Avoid if thats when you're planning to go.
    1st bag (23kg?) free, subsequent bags you pay, but thats pretty standard amongst all airlines transatlantic these days.
    I believe Aer Lingus will have got rid of their old A330s by then, so the entertainment should be on-demand, and pretty good.
    4. How is the food?
    Beef or salmon? Seriously, its awful on all the transatlantics in economy. Don't let that be a differentiator. Bring a nice sandwich.
    No. Its at least an hour to downtown. There's a Hilton hotel attached to the airport that has an overpriced sports bar.

Personally I'd pay a premium to avoid three flights from London, as you're obviously increasing the chance of missing a connection and being delayed, but when you say Aer Lingus are cheaper, it depends how much cheaper.

I don't like flying non-stop to the west coast due to being tall and rarely getting exit row seats, so I tend to break my journey up for the benefit of my knees, but having tried almost all the transatlantic carriers (except USAir who I hear are worse than Ryanair), they are all much of a muchness.

One other thing is that BA are re-balloting for a strike timed to hit the UK half-term holidays in Feb, not sure if thats close to when you're travelling?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    You may want to check United which will still put you on Aer Lingus but free bags. They have been cheaper than Aer Lingus.

Shop around on expedia and a few others.

Changing terminals in O'Hare is a pain and takes time.

Downtown Chicago is an hour on the local train. It was really cheap.

Best to allow plenty of time coming back. Company travel agent gave me approx 1 hour layover that I very nearly missed (they refused the guy 30 seconds behind me). My brother in law did miss it a few weeks later. Only one flight per day so you are stuck for 24 hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

4. How is the food?
    1. I've only ever flown direct from Ireland to LAX, is that option gone?
    2. Never had any issue and have carried enough luggage to sustain me a month at a time
    3. It was still hit and miss last time I flew, but most of the planes now have seat back entertainment consoles
    4. Edible, but not great
    5. Don't know, see Pt.1

6. Fly Virgin, it's worth paying the extra to save on extra flights and give yourself extra comfort. If you haven't been in LAX before, brace yourself, worst airport I've ever been through.
    Last edited by tiktok; 21/12/2009 at 2:34 PM.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

JFK.

Flying Dublin-NY JFK in the morning,they said there's delay's at JFK which is a bad sign because there's always delay's,they only say it out offically when its really bad.Will be on the runway for awhile me thinks.Going Delta as i had said already,sure to be extra security after that Nigerian nutcase yesterday.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The entertainment is a lot better now than when you guys travelled. I had 10+ films to choose from and loads of music or TV programmes.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    I think Iorfa2MaccaJim got hold of your login details, Bluebeard.