Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaa 2009

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts

Gaa 2009

In a nutshell can anyone tell me what this Cork GAA thing is all about with the footballers now also threatening to go on strike. Is it something in a Corkman's blood to "rebel" against the powers that be? It all seems a bit over-dramatic to me in an amateur game.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    In a nutshell can anyone tell me what this Cork GAA thing is all about with the footballers now also threatening to go on strike. Is it something in a Corkman's blood to "rebel" against the powers that be? It all seems a bit over-dramatic to me in an amateur game.
    Basically its all about Frank Murphy, who is basically a dictator in the Cork county Board. Everything goes through him and he wrote himself an airtight contract until he chooses to retire.

McCarthy is Murphys man. McCarthy never wanted the job in the first place but runs a trophy business almost completely reliant on business from the cork County Board. Murphy threatened to take the business elsewhere if he refused the job.

Theres hundreds of other things but thats the crux of it.

Now everyone agrees with the above part but what the disagreements are about is whether the players were right to go on strike over it.

Personally I think theyve done the right thing, stuck by their principles and in the last statement left it up to the people of the clubs to decide. If the clubs back them they'l continue if not theyl disband and a lot will retire.

I think the players have a lot of support, especially after the last statement, the march tomorrow will tell a lot
    Last edited by micls; 06/02/2009 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the matter as to who should have what power, the players were placed in a position where they essentially had to strike this year.

They ended last year's strike based on a fairly specific deal regarding consultation with them. Again I'm not trying to come down on one side or another on what should have been given to them. The point is that the county board essentially reneged on this deal leaving the players with no real alternative but to strike as to do otherwise would make them appear toothless.

Irrespective of any negative public opinion the current action might garner, a failure to take such direct action by the players would render their position at future impasses indefensibly weak. From their perspective, if a stand is going to be made then it has to be made here.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdonian Stu View Post

They ended last year's strike based on a fairly specific deal regarding consultation with them. Again I'm not trying to come down on one side or another on what should have been given to them. The point is that the county board essentially reneged on this deal leaving the players with no real alternative but to strike as to do otherwise would make them appear toothless.
    Not sure about the board reneging on the deal. The players assumed Gerald Mac wouldn't run again for 2009. Nothing in the agreement said that he wouldn't. Also nothing in the agreement that there would be more than 1 candidate for the job. Players should have had their own candidate ready to be nominated to run against the "board nominee".

Whatever about the rights and wrongs Frank Murphy ran rings around them last year. However that obviously only stored up trouble for the future (ie now).

Interesting to see what the footballers strike threat will do.
    Murphy won't budge so it's up to club delegates to do something to break the impasse, ie get rid of Murphy.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The deal said that they would have a say in the matter, they didn't. Either way if McCarthy kept the job without player backing, and it was clear he didn't have it, they would still look toothless.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdonian Stu View Post
    The deal said that they would have a say in the matter, they didn't. Either way if McCarthy kept the job without player backing, and it was clear he didn't have it, they would still look toothless.
    The players were to have 2 reps on either a 6 or 7 man committee. That in itself was wrong IMO but they were always going to be outvoted anyway.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Players should play the game and let the administrators get on with administration (however badly). What Cork players turned out against Tipperary then?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Players should play the game and let the administrators get on with administration (however badly).
    So the players, who are also fans, should stand by as their sport is being run into the ground by Frank Murphy?

A makeshift team lined out, many of them relations of county board members. Over 50others refused to tog out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I'm inclined to agree with Owls Fan. I can understand in exceptional circumstances that a bunch of players in any sport will be unhappy with a person they percieve to be incompetent or unworthy managing them -but this doesn't appear to be one of those exceptional circumstances.

This appears to be about players ...and senior players especially, wanting to excercise a right of veto over who manages them. If a manager is selected on that basis -then frankly he's no manager at all -he's a puppet and a yes man for the senior players.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'm not sure on this one at all. I'm confused between wondering whether the players want to topple the undemocratic hierarchy in Cork for the good of the little club; or whether they just want to get rid of Gerald McCarthy and get their own man in as manager?

If it's the former, wider purpose, then why didn't the players highlight that at the outset - especially given it is the root of the problem and solving it is the only real way of rectifying the complaint they have? Pointing the finger at the cabal running Cork GAA would surely have given them a stronger position in everyone's eyes rather than vilifying the manifestation of the core problem (ie the manager).

I'm not sure the position they adopted (seeking to oust the manager) can be tallied with the broader desire of recalibrating the structure in Cork GAA. The fact the hurlers didn't combine with the footballers would suggest the hurlers just want to appoint their own manager. As it has turned out, it merely seems there's a serendipitous synergy between the wants of the hurlers and the needs of the smaller, non-voting clubs in Cork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post

This appears to be about players ...and senior players especially, wanting to excercise a right of veto over who manages them..
    Em no..theyve stated repeatedly they dont want to choose the manager.

Yes they refuse to play under McCarthy but this is simply a syptpm of a much bigger problem.

I cant understand that its difficult for those outside Cork to understand but the CCB and Murphy are rotten to the core. He's a bullying dictator who is ruining GAA in Cork.

All you have to do is look at the clubs and how they feel.
    There are 258 in Cork from Junior level up. Every one of them voted Most have no representation in the players involved and no loyalty to them and yet 193 clubs backed the players. Surely that tells anyone looking in that there is more to this than just whinging players.

Not a single club backed McCarthy/CCB(44 abstained, 21 didnt get a chance/chose not to meet).

Now if this was just players out for themselves there is no way they would get that overwhelming support from the grassroots.

The players started this and now its up to the clubs to finish it but it could be one of the most significant events in Cork GAA history. If this panel of players, who put their own reputations on the line(they had a lot less support at the beginning, result in Murphy gone and an overhaul in the county board the I have no doubt they will be looked back upon as legends.

If the players had come out first day and said 'we want rid of Murphy they would have been laughed out of the place. His power has been ultimate for so long. By pushing it starting with McCarthy(Murphys yes man) they starting building up support slowly and some momentum. They more stupid statements the county board made the support for the players grew. Sean Og came out a while back and basically admitted that Murphy was the problem but I honesty dont think they would have gotten anywhere by starting that way(I could be wrong though).

The re-appointment of McCarthy was just the straw that broke the camels back when it came to th way the CCB was doing things.

On the ' senior players wanting to pick their own manager' thing, Id be very surprised if we dont see the retirement of a few of the more senior players anyway so what benefit is it to them to pick the manager. The players fo course want the best man for the job but I really dont think that's the main point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    McCarthy should have resigned ages ago rather than being forced out. A lot of wrong on both sides it would appear to me. If a manager loses or in fact never had the dressing room for whatever reason, with no hope of turning things round, he should fall on his sword. Apparently he only resigned because of death threats to his family which I very much doubt were anyway serious. Easy for me to say I know but....no way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Completely off-topic but can someone tell me the county colours of Fingal hurling team? Thanks! :-)
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/champion...nship2009.html

Cheers mate, another query. How come Pat Spillane isnt presenting on RTE's coverage?
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I see Cork gave Tipp a good run for their money. Not sure Tipp are the contenders some people think they might be for the All Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Anyone off to the match tomorrow??
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    It should be an interesting one. Dublin were hopeless against Mayo in the League earlier this year. Any good young players coming through from either side?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Paddy O Rourke will start in goals. A good young keeper. Nephew of Colm O Rourke.
    You've got no fans.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Two referees wrecked both televised games yesterday.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast