Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Epl 2009/2010

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Wonder why Man U have bought Valencia from Wigan (replacement for Giggs/Ronaldo)? Not exactly a prolific goal scorer? Other than Berbatov (on which the jury is out), do they have a genuine centre forward?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Wonder why Man U have bought Valencia from Wigan (replacement for Giggs/Ronaldo)? Not exactly a prolific goal scorer? Other than Berbatov (on which the jury is out), do they have a genuine centre forward?
    It's hard to know what Fergie has in his head. Maybe he thinks that Macheda or Welbeck will come to the fore or that Berbatov will be more effective without Ronaldo, who knows. With Ronaldo sold, Nani looking poor, Giggs past it and Park fairly limited I think Valencia is a good addition but don't think he was bought for goals really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Michael Owen perhaps?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Forecasts for the new season:

Champions: Chelsea

CL: Usual other 3.

Next 2: Man City and Spurs

Relegated: Hull, Burnley and Stoke.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I think Man City are worth a small bet, if they sign a decent center half they could do well. They've a strong spine with the likes of Kompany, De Jong, Ireland, Tevez. Robinho and Wright Phillips could do well on the wings too. This is probably a season or two too early for them as a team, but if they get off to a decent start and with no European distractions they should be able to break the big 4 at least.

I think Liverpool have a great shout if they can keep Alonso and Mascherano they will have the best 11. Chelsea have a good chance too but I think the Ancelotti factor might mean a slow start for them, Yhirkov will be a great player for them. I think Man Utd still need to sign 1/2 more players if Hargreaves was to come back that could be a major boost for them but he seems out long term. I fear for Arsenal, they really need to sign another top class striker, otherwise they will fall apart if they have any injuries in attack.

Spurs still look suspect at the back, Gomes looked shakey last weekend and they might start the season with Dervitte and Chimbonda as center backs, Celtic's reserves destroyed them on Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    A Liverpool squad including Torres, Gerrard, Benayoun, Riera, Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Fabio Aurelio, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Reina... is capable of destroying any other team - albeit David Silva or Villa would be a welcome addition.

Assuming Alonso stays, I'm going for Liverpool to win the title, and Man City for a top four finish at Arsenal's expense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    A Liverpool squad including Torres, Gerrard, Benayoun, Riera, Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Fabio Aurelio, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Reina... is capable of destroying any other team - albeit David Silva or Villa would be a welcome addition.

Assuming Alonso stays, I'm going for Liverpool to win the title, and Man City for a top four finish at Arsenal's expense.
    The usual Liverpool pre-season optimism, granted a bit more justified than most years but still a bit deluded. Since when are Riera, Kuyt, Aurelio all that great? Agger generally doesn't get on the team. Benayoun had a good season last year but can be pretty ordinary. The biggest thing Liverpool have going for them is the players that have left OT imo. I don't think there's any reason that Liverpool will accumulate any more points than last season so they'll be dependent on United dropping a level and Chelsea standing still. I agree completely about needing to keep Alonso as he's pure class and won't be replaced easily. Mascherano epitomises everything about Liverpool... hard working, dogged, effective without any flair or ability to use the ball whatsoever, so they'll need to keep him too. A fully fit Torres for the majority of the season will obviously be huge as well, more so than Gerrard I'd suggest.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The usual Liverpool pre-season optimism, granted a bit more justified than most years but still a bit deluded. Since when are Riera, Kuyt, Aurelio all that great? Agger generally doesn't get on the team. Benayoun had a good season last year but can be pretty ordinary. The biggest thing Liverpool have going for them is the players that have left OT imo. I don't think there's any reason that Liverpool will accumulate any more points than last season so they'll be dependent on United dropping a level and Chelsea standing still. I agree completely about needing to keep Alonso as he's pure class and won't be replaced easily. Mascherano epitomises everything about Liverpool... hard working, dogged, effective without any flair or ability to use the ball whatsoever, so they'll need to keep him too. A fully fit Torres for the majority of the season will obviously be huge as well, more so than Gerrard I'd suggest.
    Considering they went from 21 points behind in 2007 to 11 in 2008 and now (i think) 4 in 2009 suggests they can go further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa B View Post
    Considering they went from 21 points behind in 2007 to 11 in 2008 and now (i think) 4 in 2009 suggests they can go further.
    It's hard to see how they will improve further without signing anybody of note. Torres has brought ye from that -21 points team to something far more competitive but I think ye need more than Glen Johnson (and possibly minus Alonso/Mascherano) to improve further. It will depend on how United respond to losing Ronaldo/Tevez I think, how good Valencia/Tosic are and the fitness of Hargreaves and Owen. Chelsea will have a lot to say as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    ..and now? City's pre-season form has also been poor. If it continues for say 8 games in to the new season, farewell Mark Hughes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Read a rumour on another forum that Portsmouth are going into administration within the next few days. Relegation odds have been slashed aswell apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    they'll get points docked if they do. I was tipping them to go down anyway so -10 or -15 seals it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Yep, I'm just raging I didnt put a nice wad of cash on them to go down a few weeks ago when they started selling their best players.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I have money on them to go down from a few weeks ago. At 9/2 I think. Not much though.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    More so than ever the scramble at the bottom will cover many teams, including

Hull, Burnley, Wolves, Birmingam, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Stoke, Wigan with one other surprise one (Fulham?).

More poor sides than usual this season thanks to the likes of Stoke and Hull staying up last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Just spotted this is the guardian so for a laugh here are my predictions for the season:

World Cup Winners - Brazil (but win ugly!)

Premier League Winners - Man Utd

Champions League Winners - Real Madrid

Player of the Year - Andrei Arshavin

Top Scorer - Torres if he stays fit. Darren Bent gets close to 20.

Best Buy of Summer - I'm hoping it's Kevin Doyle. Cana for Sunderland and Arsenal's new centre back from Ajax.

Young Player of Year - Wilshere will get it but I think Foley will impress.

Relegated - Portsmouth, Hull, Burnley

Surprise Package - West Ham/Sunderland

First Manager to be sacked - Alex McCleish. However I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes is gone by end of September!

Promoted - Sheff Utd, Ipswich, Forest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Promoted - Forest.
    Do you know something I don't?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Arsene admits to selective vision:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...al/8201233.stm

Now, there's a shock .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Arsene admits to selective vision:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...al/8201233.stm

Now, there's a shock .

more of a shock he admited it.... even better on match of the day tonight as stephen ireland scores second goal to clinch victory for city
    commetator comments " the home bred player clinchs it for city"

" football is a simple game "

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast