Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The great stand up sit down debate

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eaststand85 View Post
    that doesn't necessarily mean everyone has to stand up for the whole game which is what this thread is about.
    That's not what the thread is about at all. It's about why there isn't a split for people who want to sit and for those who want to stand. The only person who brought in what everyone should do is yourself, when you wondered why anyone would stand in a seated area which was designed for seating.

It's very annoying when you want to stand and sing, and someone beside you or behind you tells you to sit down. Both should be catered for.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    For now Ill take solace in trap coming out applauding a half an hour after the game, given coming right over from the goal, duff coming over and all the others ive left out as a sign that they appreciate it and it makes a difference.
    sure how do you know they werent applauding eastend also?......wait a minute of course they were. They were applauding all the Irish fans who made their way out to Sofia to watch/support the team.

Too many 'fan' police in this internet era (this not directly aimed at you here Paul) but it gets fcukin tedious reading it all the time but hard to avoid all the same.

you should stand up or yer not a proper fan
    you should sing constantly or yer not a proper fan
    you should only wear a replica ireland soccer jersey or yer not a proper fan
    you should use the phrase 'barstooler' at least once every other post or yer not a real fan.............
    Im not sure whether wearing a leprechaun outfit (really not my thing) makes you a real fan or not but you get the picture......It takes all sorts............
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yes but it definitely doesn't go on that much with those who sit down, maybe once every 15 minutes or when a corner is given there is a small cheer. The atmosphere the Bulgarians generated was just brilliant. I Would love if we could do the same at home. And I didnt see too many of them sitting either.
    Especially at the far end, when alot of their fans set fire to their seats!!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    They were giving eaststand a hint, sit and we burn your seats
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's not what the thread is about at all. It's about why there isn't a split for people who want to sit and for those who want to stand. The only person who brought in what everyone should do is yourself, when you wondered why anyone would stand in a seated area which was designed for seating.

It's very annoying when you want to stand and sing, and someone beside you or behind you tells you to sit down. Both should be catered for.
    [/QUOTE]

I was only making the point that it can be equally annoying if you've a ticket for a designated seated area and someone insists on standing up (for the whole game obviously, not in those situations where everyone's singing together or straining to see a chance) which means everyone behind has to do the same whether they want to or not. Agree both types of fan should be catered for which is why I'm a fan of the singing section in Croke Park.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    sure how do you know they werent applauding eastend also?......wait a minute of course they were. They were applauding all the Irish fans who made their way out to Sofia to watch/support the team.

Too many 'fan' police in this internet era (this not directly aimed at you here Paul) but it gets fcukin tedious reading it all the time but hard to avoid all the same.

you should use the phrase 'barstooler' at least once every other post or yer not a real fan.............
    Im not sure whether wearing a leprechaun outfit (really not my thing) makes you a real fan or not but you get the picture......It takes all sorts............

Cheers Junior, made the same point earlier, everyone shows their support in different ways and sitting down does not make anyone less of a fan/supporter.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    They were giving eaststand a hint, sit and we burn your seats
    After three days on the beer my ar$e was on fire anyway!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eaststand85 View Post
    After three days on the beer my ar$e was on fire anyway!!
    So why didn't you stand then?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post
    I have mentioned this before.

The demographic of our support is such that some fans are not capable of standing for the whole game(never mind in that heat). Added to that, you have clowns who land in late and decide to stand in stairwells, forcing everyone round them to stand.

I think it is something the FAI could look at- get people to indicate if they want to sit, then allocate tickets for those people at the front. Anyone who wants to stand can, at the back.
    Since they have 'allowed' standing at CP , dont see why they cant do it for away games - specify on you ticket application standing or sitting*

* away games tend to be free for alls though but at least there would be a 'standing' section if anybody moaned

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    So why didn't you stand then?
    I did but the view wasn't great with everyone else standing too, wonder if we all shouldn't have just have sat down?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    eaststand[/b]85;1175638]I did but the view wasn't great with everyone else standing too, wonder if we all shouldn't have just have sat down?
    Perhaps in a reflective moment you might think prudent to ask dahamsta to change your name to "eastsit85"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    Perhaps in a reflective moment you might think prudent to ask dahamsta to change your name to "eastsit85"
    Boom, boom!
    This is (hopefully!) my last post on the matter so to summarise:

I have no problem with standing, sitting, singing, chanting, flag waving, beach ball throwing etc. and depending on what form I'm in I may partake in all or none of the above during a match but I generally prefer to sit due to nerves.

I think that where possible it would be a great idea to accommodate fans who want to sit and stand in separate areas but where that's not possible everybody should consider those around them.

Those who prefer to stand normally should consider they may be blocking the view and enjoyment of others before deciding whether to stand in the aisles or on top of seats and those who prefer to sit should consider that sometimes the majority would prefer to stand, and everyone should consider that all of us show our support in different ways so can't we all just get along people??

I think I may have spent too long on this thread today!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    what about mexican waves?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post

Great post, I agree with everything here.
    By the way, I detest sitting at football matches, I believe if you want to sit and watch a match, there's always the perfest pub..., or your own living room.

However, the elderly, and the young should be accomodated if need be, but seriously travelling fans should know the story by this stage on away trips that the vast majority of fans do stand.

As for the internet police, couldn't agree more!
    Remember, people are entitled to do what they want.
    People wearing leprechaun suits are slated on this site and YBIG (Ive never worn 1 and never plan to wear 1) and it really just adds a bit of colour to the occasion, no harm. I don't believe that it'd be a normal away trip if there weren't fellas wearing them.
    And another is anti-British songs, again I don't ever recall singing one but for those that do, arguing about them online isn't going to stop them, and they still are fellow fans.

By the way that's not aimed at this thread or Paul.
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I have got into a few arguments over this -I dont care - If its a big game and my nerves are on edge I stand, end of story.

I often wonder why certain people attend "soccer" games!!!! Would the Gah not be enough for you!
    Its very hard to shout your support to your team if you are sitting down.

And I HATE Mexcian waves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12