Page 68 of 257 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 5128

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    He's definitely eligible through at least one if not both of his mother's parents from Dublin. He's been with the England under-21s of late, hasn't he, or is he passed that age now?
    Still under 21 for England & will be going to their U21 Tournament. He's definitely eligible for us. I remember reading a tweet from his mother one time that the Irish in her would love him to play for Ireland but doesn't think it will happen any time soon.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Still under 21 for England & will be going to their U21 Tournament. He's definitely eligible for us. I remember reading a tweet from his mother one time that the Irish in her would love him to play for Ireland but doesn't think it will happen any time soon.
    Aye, I'm pretty sure I once quoted that in this thread actually. Will have a look for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    This exchange wasn't the one I was referring to but it confirms his eligibility and that he has chosen to represent England: https://twitter.com/michredz2510/sta...17535155613696

Whether that means he'd be closed to possibility of representing Ireland, I'm not sure.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He has a brother named Niall according to his mother. No idea if he can play football but with a name like that we should be calling him up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Should go and get Callum Wilson and Connor Wickham now. Neither are included in the England U21 provisional squad for the U21 Euros despite being available. Battle between Afobe & Bamford for the 4th striker as Kane, Berahino & Ings are ahead of them. If Bamford was smart he'd declare for us. He's way off the English senior squad with Kane, Berahino, Ings, Rooney, Sterling, Walcott, Welbeck, Sturridge, Austin, Carroll & Rodriguez ahead of him as it is.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 20/05/2015 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I got the impression from that interview with Bamford recently that he is very open to the idea. He seems to be genuinely hoping for an opportunity at Chelsea though which would probably lead to England recognition. It seems far fetched though, the Chelsea bit anyway but he could still be playing PL football elsewhere which would put him on the map, so to speak. When you say about the battle between himself and Afobe, do you mean to make the final squad? It's just Bammy seems to think he's in.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bamford
    After this [play-offs], I’m concentrating on the Euros with England so I think by the time I’m back from the Euros I can sit down with Chelsea and see what’s happening.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 20/05/2015 at 11:09 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Should go and get Callum Wilson and Connor Wickham now. Neither are included in the England U21 provisional squad for the U21 Euros. Battle between Afobe & Bamford for the 4th striker as Kane, Berahino & Ings are ahead of them. If Bamford was smart he'd declare for us. He's way off the English senior squad.
    I don't think Wickham has any interest in us. With a father born in the North who fought in the British army, I'd imagine his allegiances would lie with Northern Ireland.

As regards Bamford, he's known to have an education and is smart- hence why he hasn't ruled out playing for us. He's one of these dual-nationals who recognises both his Irish and English identities as he is reminded of the Irish arm on his maternal side of the family (i.e. Ireland-supporting uncles). But, I think, at present he's happy to represent England and if the senior opportunity with them presents itself, he'll avail. If it doesn't present itself in the next few years (i.e. if he can establish himself in the PL and the call doesn't come) then I think he'll switch. I could be wrong but I don't envisage Bamford playing for us in the near future unless he forecasts the English door not opening.

Of course, some are comfortable with that and some aren't. I'm comfortable with it from the perspective that he's a dual-national who seems to be aware of his dual-identity and, consequently, wouldn't apply the term 'mercenary' to him.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    When you say about the battle between himself and Afobe, do you mean to make the final squad? It's just Bammy seems to think he's in.
    Don't know how he thinks he's definitely in when the squad is still to be further reduced from 27 to 23 with 2 more strikers to be cut from the 6 named. In any case he still seems a long way off the England Senior squad.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He seems to be genuinely hoping for an opportunity at Chelsea though which would probably lead to England recognition.
    There is another young striker at Chelsea by the name of Dominic Solanke who Mourinho has great time for & has put him on the bench many times this season. Solanke is only 17 but seems to be ahead of Bamford in Mourinhos 's thinking. Bamford is definitely good enough for the Premiership though.

Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I don't think Wickham has any interest in us. With a father born in the North who fought in the British army, I'd imagine his allegiances would lie with Northern Ireland.
    Ya, I wouldn't cry if he didn't play for us tbh. Just mentioned him as he was someone with supposed ability at one stage. Seems a lazy sod on the pitch, likes the party lifestyle & his heading ability for a tall lad is quite average.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 20/05/2015 at 11:40 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Confident lad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I'm posting this here as there is no reason for the other thread to be locked but..

But there will be no place for Villa's teenage sensation Jack Grealish, who has already represented the Republic at Under-21 level but was born in Solihull.
    It is understood he has let it be known to Hodgson he will make himself available for the next Three Lions' squad, for the qualifiers against San Marino and Switzerland in September.
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...odgson-England
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 21/05/2015 at 12:02 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Buuuuuuuuullllsheeeeeeeettttttt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Think this Jack Grealish saga is getting closer to finishing.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...P=share_btn_tw
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 21/05/2015 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Wee beggars.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,331 Posts
    hands off our kids!

moving on....
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    "If he doesn’t want to play or has doubts, then don’t play,” Hodgson said. “We want people who want to be there.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-10268596.html

It doesn't look like Roy is going to wait forever, but it's clear the FA has been putting pressure on.

There's a great pair of quiffs in the photo in that article. Jedward's influence is greater than I previously thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,331 Posts
    Moving. On.

Am I making myself clear?
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 22/05/2015 at 9:44 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah cop yerselves on, ye can surely find something less significant to chat about

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Moving. On.

Am I making myself clear?
    Oh, so it's ok for you to talk about Jedward but not me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Not sure which thread would be best for this, but I'll stick it in here. It's a video of various England-born players talking about their Irish identity and having chosen to play for us:

Interesting to hear the various perspectives. Features Gary Breen, John Aldridge, Mick McCarthy, Lee Carsley, Steven Reid, Chris Hughton and Jason McAteer. Carsley perceived there to be a bit of a barrier there in the sense he thought England-born players had to prove themselves more, but I get the sense this was a rarer opinion. The remainder all seemed to feel immediately welcomed.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/...n?ICID=HP_TS_5

Brooks Lennon securing Irish citizenship in order to push through a move to Liverpool.