Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDC World darts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

PDC World darts

Anyone else been watching what is the highlight of the festive season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Ya, had a bet on earlier too... A.Villa, Klassen, Wade and a horse at Wolverhampton at around 15/1.
    Delighted

Van Der Voort was woeful and Wade is lucky he didn't have a stronger opponent or he'd have been beat easy!!

Barney made hard work of that game against Baxter, seemed to be crusing early but then it flipped completly with Baxter throwing some amazing darts!!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Got a tip for Wade at the start so had a little e/w bet on him @17/2. Hopefully he'll up his game from here on in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Haven't watched much of it yet but on Stephen's Day my wife, kids and I went for a stroll around the Alexandra Palace & grounds. All the promotional posters were up with giant sized pictures of the "athletes", prompting my wife to ask "why is that ugly bloke called "The Artist"? There was a huge Newcastle Brown Ale delivery truck outside, and hundreds of beer kegs stacked up. I must actually go along for the darts next year for the laugh.

I've a soft spot for the Ally Pally as I worked as a building site labourer there in 1987. I actually helped lay the floor in the main auditorium.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Barney with the 9 darter tonight, then taking out 161 to win the match. First 9 darter in the PDC world finals. 106 average, if Barney and Taylor can keep up this for it's going to be an unbelievable final. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 9 darter from Taylor now too, every time he got close up to now you could see him thinking about it, he desperately wanted to be the first to do it in the worlds, it'll have hurt him a lot to see Barney get it.

On a personal note I just hit my 3rd 180 of the night!

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Final was an extraordinary performance from Taylor. Set a new three dart average record for a PDC final.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Awesome is the only way to describe him. His concentration levels are a different class, he's on another level to anyone else that's ever played the game.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Was watching the BDO World Championship over the weekend. I haven't seen as much PDC as BDO but despite Barney defecting, I still think the BDO one is the one to win.. You just can't beat the Lakeside as a darts venue. It's to darts what the Crucible is to snooker.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    As far as tradition and grass roots of the game go BDO is still the king. The PDC does have more money and a stronger top player pool, although the gap is not nearly as wide as Sky would have you think. Taylor and Barneveld, at his best, are a different class to anyone in either organisation. A number of players are leaving the PDC this year due to the high cost involved in playing on the tour and returning to the BDO which should add more strenght in depth.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Was watching the BDO World Championship over the weekend. I haven't seen as much PDC as BDO but despite Barney defecting, I still think the BDO one is the one to win.. You just can't beat the Lakeside as a darts venue. It's to darts what the Crucible is to snooker.
    The BDO is the Conference of the Darts world, as opposed to the PDC being the premiership. There is no comparison whatsoever in the skill levels of players in both organisations. The Lakeside might be the traditional venue, and a great one at that, but it's the equivalent of watching Blackpool and Crewe at Wembley...utter sh1te gracing a great venue.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Heard a quote from Taylor on the news yesterday where he said he would look to "work on his fitness" so he could win again next year. "Nothing serious like treadmill as I am older now". Did not sound like it was tongue in cheek either.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Heard a quote from Taylor on the news yesterday where he said he would look to "work on his fitness" so he could win again next year. "Nothing serious like treadmill as I am older now". Did not sound like it was tongue in cheek either.
    This sketch is appropriate at this point I think..

www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    The BDO is the Conference of the Darts world, as opposed to the PDC being the premiership. There is no comparison whatsoever in the skill levels of players in both organisations. The Lakeside might be the traditional venue, and a great one at that, but it's the equivalent of watching Blackpool and Crewe at Wembley...utter sh1te gracing a great venue.
    PDC is stronger yes but your comparison is well off. Last years PDC wasn't the best ever but I think the comparisons from this post, last year, are still a fair enough example of how small the gap actually is.

Players like Co Stompe were fairly average in the BDO and have done well on the PDC circuit. Most of the PDC quarter finalists this year had played in the BDO within the last 5 years.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    This sketch is appropriate at this point I think..
    Brilliant.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    PDC is stronger yes but your comparison is well off. Last years PDC wasn't the best ever but I think the comparisons from this post, last year, are still a fair enough example of how small the gap actually is.

Players like Co Stompe were fairly average in the BDO and have done well on the PDC circuit. Most of the PDC quarter finalists this year had played in the BDO within the last 5 years.
    BDO don't count darts thrown when on a finish so gap would be greater if it weren't for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    BDO don't count darts thrown when on a finish so gap would be greater if it weren't for that.
    Really? First I've heard of that. They often show the average for the first 9 darts as well as the overall average. The overall average has to account for all darts thrown. 15 dart leg = 33.4 average.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Not sure that that is correct to be honest cant find anything to prove it though.

I still like watching the BDO darts coverage. It isnt as good a standard as the PDC obviously but it has its good points. Whatever you say about Bobby George, the mans a character and i always find him funny. Sid Waddell on Sky is a pain in the hole, comletely intolerable, even though the guy from BBC is a bit irratiating as well(Tony Green?).
    The razmataz of the PDC gets a little boring after a while. I think they could do with a new song between sets for one thing as the one they have now has been done to death. It is a bit boring hearing a load of pished up fellas shouting Oi,Oi,Oi for the thousanth time.
    Some of the opening round of matches in the BDO were fairly shocking but the standard has picked up and the Fitton-Whitlock match would have been up there with the best matches in the PDC championship. I wouldnt mind seeing Fitton win it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    watching the darts last night and the average where shown for both first 9 darts and all darts thrown.

unless this is only shown on tv and not shown in the official stats
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    If Hankey hadn't won last night I think it could have been one of the greatest chokes I've ever seen in sport. How many shots did he have for the title before finally getting it? Missing single-12 to leave himself on no finish.

At one stage he did the classic amateur finish of missing everything inside the double-ring so he needed double-one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Heard a quote from Taylor on the news yesterday where he said he would look to "work on his fitness" so he could win again next year.

In fairness F1 drivers have to be very fit and all they do is sit in a car and drive. My point is with the darts becoming more popular (more comps/prize money) players will need some level of fitness (healthy body healthy mind and all that) to fully compete in all tournaments. If you look at the best young players and il take Wade and Klaason as examples, they would hardly be what you would call beer monsters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast