Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Whoops.. Glenn will be needing a new windscreen: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...er-fuming.html
    To be fair, I'd probably lose it too.... pretty stupid move.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    wonder what that was all about, a joke gone wrong?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Why did you post a pic of a Shamrock Rovers fan, junior?

Nice one Stu, you have the odd few gems in your locker.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    wonder what that was all about, a joke gone wrong?
    Pigs head, Muslims. Not that it takes much mind you.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

Nice one Stu, you have the odd few gems in your locker.
    Cheers bud... but for every hit, I have a hundred misses.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    It turns out that our Glenn had nothing to do with it and he has received an apology.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    It turns out that our Glenn had nothing to do with it and he has received an apology.
    Good lad Glenn, good lad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Still, the whole windshield issue beckons...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He will no doubt be bringing home the bacon for Ireland in the future.

11. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well presumably he won't be putting it in anyone's locker.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    You've been on fire lately Tricky. Really Ham and cheesing it.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    I honestly couldn't give a sausage what goes on in the Stoke dressing room.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    With Pulis moving on, it'll be interesting to see where our Glenn ends up next season. Is he an adequate Premier League footballer or just an unspectacular metronome for a Championship side with ambitions of passing the ball? I quite like him as a player. I feel he could have a couple of decent seasons, to far less noteworthy effect than Michael Carrick enjoyed this season. I think he'll remain in the Premier League either way. He has enough games under his belt at that level that Cardiff, Hull and Palace/Watford would be the lowest-lying sides to snap him up should the incumbent manager at Stoke deem him disposable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Just saw that Pulis was sacked. My first thought was 'Glenn's in trouble'. He doesn't have enough stand-out qualities on the ball to attract another EPL team or impress an ambitious new manager, and I don't think he's enough of an athlete either. Dare I say it, he's been lucky to be at the right club at the right time, where his technical limitations aren't exposed, and that the players signed to replace him (Olofinjana and Palacios in particular) didn't work out. It would be nice if, say, Garvan or McCann could have a similar break over the next few years.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 21/05/2013 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    You've been on fire lately Tricky. Really Ham and cheesing it.
    Well if it was on fire that would be smoky bacon!!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Subbed off for Charlie Adam on 62 minutes away to Liverpool. Strange sub given the fact that he was playing a blinder and quite clearly the best player on the pitch in my opinion. He looks fit, was making great passes and tackles, and more importantly, providing a constant layer of protection for the back four.

Marc Wilson got the start in central midfield alongside Whelan and Nzonzi - he hasn't done much in my opinion but it is nice to see him starting in that position, given that I think he might be on the bench behind newly signed left-back Erik Pieters for most of the season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Had a right cut back at Dunphy in the indo today, fair dues.

IRISH soccer star Glenn Whelan has invited Eamon Dunphy to meet him face to face after the pundit slated the midfielder live on RTE.

"He [Dunphy] is a media bully. He sits in front of the camera and causes controversy so people can laugh at it but I won't be standing for it. He is welcome to come down to our training ground -- he knows where we train -- and he can talk to me then, get things off his chest if he wants," Whelan said.

Following last Friday's loss to Sweden, Dunphy tore into Whelan on live TV.

"He's a terrible player. He can't run, he can't pass, he can't tackle, he doesn't see anything.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland," Dunphy said on RTE.

Whelan issued his own retort after the national side lost out on qualification to next year's World Cup and Giovanni Trapattoni lost his job as manager after a 2-1 loss to Austria on Tuesday night.

"I only found out what was said about me and I felt it was way over the top.

"He is a bully who wants to get under people's skin. I have held back on saying something until now but I won't hold back any more.

"For him to say that I am a terrible player and was lucky to get 50 caps, well let's put our records and our achievements on the table.

"What has he done in football? Compare his stats and his achievements to what I have done and that speaks volumes. I have played 50 times for my country, played at the European Championship finals, played in the Premier League for a long time, played in Europe for two clubs, played in an FA Cup final.

"For someone who has achieved nothing in football to speak so harshly about footballers from his own nation is hard to understand.

"Since I first came into the squad, for whatever reason, Dunphy has picked on me. Maybe it goes back to the very first start when I first came into the squad and he had it in for me -- You had the whole Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid story and he wanted them in the squad.

"Over this campaign we as a team have been battered in the media but he [Dunphy] has battered me."

Whelan feels he has been made a scapegoat for the failures of this qualifying campaign even though he played in only half of the group games.

"I only played in four games in the qualifiers and we got seven points from those," he said.

"If we concede a goal, it's said that the midfield aren't strong enough, if we win 3-0 the midfield is still not creative enough. He comes at me from every angle. No matter how well I play, I am the No. 1 suspect."

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Was just about to post that. Fair play to him.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    To be honest, I wouldn't disagree with the content in Dunphy's remarks but the wording was disgraceful, especially about a guy who had been extremely professional and undoubtedly given his best for us... didn't he shed a tear after his goal against Italy? Give me that over more talented prima donnas like Stephen Ireland and Darron Gibson any day. Of course, Whelan has probably made Dunphy's day by actually taking any notice of him.

Whelan was defended by the Stoke-on-Trent media also:

Stoke Paper Defends Whelan Against Dunphy’s ‘Assault’

A regional newspaper in Stoke-on Trent has come to the defence of Glenn Whelan after Eamon Dunphy launched a stinging broadside at the Ireland midfielder. The Sentinel took exception to remarks made by one of RTE’s wise men in the aftermath of last week’s home loss to Sweden.
    Dunphy labelled Whelan a ‘terrible’ player’ saying: “He can’t run, he can’t pass, he can’t tackle, he doesn’t see anything…he drives two Ferraris and I’m entitled to say what I think.”
    The Sentinel’s Martin Spinks called Dunphy’s outburst an ‘unwarranted verbal assault’ adding that the outspoken former Irish international is known for regularly coming out with outrageous comments. Spinks defended Whelan observing that both Giovanni Trapattoni and former Stoke manager Tony Pulis (who handed Whelan around 120 Premier League starts) saw fit to regularly include the Dubliner in their sides.
    “Now Whelan is no Roy Keane, we are all agreed, but he is surely the best available to the Emerald Isle in the role of holding together a midfield invariably competing against superior opposition.” he wrote.
    Spinks acknowledged that Whelan might possess more heart than ability, but added that the same could be said of “just about every Irish player since the halcyon days of Charlton and McCarthy.”
    Adding that as an Englishman he too wanted to see Ireland do well, and anyone who did likewise would acknowledge the effort of Whelan to the cause.
    However, in the eyes of Eamon Dunphy, the midfielder was ”a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland.”
    Last edited by DeLorean; 13/09/2013 at 9:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Agreed wording by Dunphy was ott. He is becoming increasingly irritating to watch on the panel and is entirely unable to rebuff Brady's defence of Trap. Regarding Whelan though, his fall in standards has been synonymous with the collapse of the team in general in the past few years. He has been absolutely dire and should have been axed from the team long ago.

I think Whelan will possibly be in there with a bunch of Trap's favorites that might never play for us again now that he's gone-Cox, Keogh, O'Dea, McShane, Green, Sammon even Walters
    I

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast