Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerr -becoming a Sad Figure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Agree with all that Emmet. I'm a Kerr fan and think he was harshly judged, both by fans and media during his time. His team was miles better than Stauntons, in fact if you look back it's only towards the end of Kerrs reign that things started to go pear shaped. It must particularly annoy him now to see the whole of his time in charge lumped in together with Staunton as five years of disaster. However, as you say he's doing himself no favours now. Any criticism he makes ( and a lot of the article seemed fair enough to me) is bound to be viewed as sour grapes. Really, he should steer clear of comment completely.
    I'd say that annoys a lot of us. Thought it was funny in a quirky way how Dion Fanning was almost, almost sticking up for Kerr, even though he was main protaginist in witch hunt against BK, and Kerr then used the example of the Schizo kid as an example of problems for trap, when the Schizo kid incident was what started to witch hunt against BK.
    Mad stuff altogether
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    I'm a Kerr fan and think he was harshly judged, both by fans and media during his time.
    He has to be harshly judged with the most important coaching job in the country. Can't stand the heat.....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Kerr was unluckly, however made poor tactical decisions in both Israel games where ultimately qualification was lost. And despite that going into the final game with the Swiss, we needed a home win to make the playoffs and put in one of the most dull and inept performances that night and shouldve lost if frei had put away any of the decent chances he had. The team certainly didnt look like they wanted to play for Kerr that night. Having said all that, sacking him and replacing him with staunton was a disaster.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Kerr thinks he is the parallel FAI. I'm still waiting for a "big" club to offer him a job. Why has that not happened?
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 26/05/2008 at 1:07 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    But
    "Giles was brilliant but the terraces couldn't stand it".Kerr is spot on here.
    Giles was about 20 years ahead of his time in the way he wanted Ireland to play.
    I was one of the "terraces" at the time. It was totally ineffective because all they did was tip and tap the ball between the central defenders, eventually lose the ball and the opposition score. Most fans don't care how you play, provided you win. If Giles' football had been remotely successful, the "terraces" would have lapped it up. Truth is it wasn't and it was boring as well. The "terraces" are supposed to accept losing football as well as boredom?? I think not. It wasn't 20 years ahead of its time either. Leeds played the passing game in midfield and most Liverpool teams of that era were also very successful at it. It was new to Irish international teams ok but it was ineffective.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Are we still having problems getting kit out to other countires? After the 2002 debacle you think this might have moved up the agenda.

Laughs might not be at a premium? Who gives a flying monkey's. They can celebrate and go out on the lash when they qualify for a major tournament. They are professionals and must realise that work isn't always fun and games. Kerr made them endure hours of dvd watching so he's hardly one to talk on this point to be fair.

Why should Brady lick **** for those he has criticised in the past, he was a lot more restrained than Dunphy! IMO it was all merited, if the players are that insecure then they aren't cut out for this new team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I was one of the "terraces" at the time. It was totally ineffective because all they did was tip and tap the ball between the central defenders, eventually lose the ball and the opposition score. Most fans don't care how you play, provided you win. If Giles' football had been remotely successful, the "terraces" would have lapped it up. Truth is it wasn't and it was boring as well. The "terraces" are supposed to accept losing football as well as boredom?? I think not. It wasn't 20 years ahead of its time either. Leeds played the passing game in midfield and most Liverpool teams of that era were also very successful at it. It was new to Irish international teams ok but it was ineffective.
    Mick Marting to Giles. Giles back to Martin. No sorry Giles back to the French center forward and 2-0 France. Same thing happened in Denmark away under Giles. We gave away a 3-1 lead due to Giles being caught in possession. Everything had to go through Giles and any half decent opposition copped on to that fact. He did not dominate a game ala Roy Keane . He did try to have us play his version of possesion football but it failed to get us to any tournaments.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Kerr was unluckly, however made poor tactical decisions in both Israel games where ultimately qualification was lost. And despite that going into the final game with the Swiss, we needed a home win to make the playoffs and put in one of the most dull and inept performances that night and shouldve lost if frei had put away any of the decent chances he had. The team certainly didnt look like they wanted to play for Kerr that night. Having said all that, sacking him and replacing him with staunton was a disaster.
    i would have to agree with most of whats said here.. personally i was a big fan of kerrs while he was at the helm..i thought he just made a couple of bad calls that cost them vital points before that final swiss game.. but people who compare his reign to stauntons are having a laugh...
    staunton was the worst manager ireland have ever had - great player and it was sad to see him sully all his playing achievements with us..
    the biggest point though is that as said above, the players didnt look like they wanted to play for kerr that night against the swiss - is this a bigger indictment of the players than kerr??? i definitely think so..
    i mean, if half the team dont like the management, do you then give less than 100% in that match.. i wonder are we all supporting a huge bunch of pansies in ireland shirts these days???

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman View Post
    i wonder are we all supporting a huge bunch of pansies in ireland shirts these days???
    There might well be some truth in that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
    There might well be some truth in that
    I've been coming to that conclusion for a while now.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I've been coming to that conclusion for a while now.
    its really sad though isnt it..i mean think of the great men who have played for us over the years... i often think we are just a team filled with boys nowadays...
    no offence to the likes of robbie keane, but him being the captain of an irish team 10/15 years ago

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Mick Marting to Giles. Giles back to Martin. No sorry Giles back to the French center forward and 2-0 France. Same thing happened in Denmark away under Giles. We gave away a 3-1 lead due to Giles being caught in possession. Everything had to go through Giles and any half decent opposition copped on to that fact. He did not dominate a game ala Roy Keane. He did try to have us play his version of possesion football but it failed to get us to any tournaments.
    Giles was 38 or 39 then, still playing up to a decent enough standard and managing as well. So you and Owls were the poison on the terraces that Kerr referred to
    Begrudging backstabbers, who couldn't wait to stick the knife into legend Giles

Okay, he hung around the playing field a bit too long.
    Do you know how we played before Giles? Kelly to Treacy was a popular route.
    Under Giles we had plenty of good exciting football, good performances as well as the dreary home draws at the end.

Denmark beat NI 4-0 then.
    A fortunate England were the only team to beat Denmark in Copenhagen and that was 4-3.

Giles for sure would have qualified us for WC 82

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Brian Kerr is great at critisizing others but I will never forget his last game against the Swiss when we needed a goal and he had taken off Robbie Keane and Clinton Morrison and we were left with Doherty and Elliot up front when we needed a goal,it was unbelieveable that even then he was so conservative that he couldnt have gone 3 up top or something for the last 10-15 minutes and go for it. Also the game against Isreal at home when Robbie had to go off he took Duffer off the wing where he was tormenting Isreal and stuck him up top where he hardly got a kick for the rest of the game. Kerr had no one but himself to blame for his dismissal and his bitterness since then has been out of order in my opinion
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Brian Kerr is great at critisizing others but I will never forget his last game against the Swiss when we needed a goal and he had taken off Robbie Keane and Clinton Morrison and we were left with Doherty and Elliot up front when we needed a goal,it was unbelieveable that even then he was so conservative that he couldnt have gone 3 up top or something for the last 10-15 minutes and go for it. Also the game against Isreal at home when Robbie had to go off he took Duffer off the wing where he was tormenting Isreal and stuck him up top where he hardly got a kick for the rest of the game. Kerr had no one but himself to blame for his dismissal and his bitterness since then has been out of order in my opinion
    Exactly, Kerr is nothing but a bitter little man who was never up to the Ireland job. The IT should show him the door because his vitriolic columns aren't even worthy of the red tops. He launched a scathing attack on Stephen Ireland last year after the Wales game saying he was nothing more than a passenger (amongst other things). It was not that surprising to learn that he and Ireland don't get on.

His sh!t-stirring on Saturday was pathetic and while he wasn't as bad a manager as Staunton, he wasn't a whole lot better and was substantially worse than McCarthy with essentially the same team. Wish he'd crawl back under his rock, he's a disgrace.

To blame luck for his record is just a red herring. In 8 competitive games against top 70 teams, he registered no wins and only 6 points. That's not bad luck, that's just not good enough. We threw away a 2-0 lead at home to Israel, that's not bad luck, that's careless. We threw away a 1-0 lead over there with seconds to go. The good sides don't do that.

We turned in spineless performances against the Swiss in decisive games twice under his tenure. The man wasn't up to the job and he should keep his bitter and twisted observations to himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kerr has gone down in my estimation, big time, thanks to his pieces on Saturday and today.
    I thought they were snide, negative and bitter. He was, in my opinion, trying to stir up the shi1t. He has a sneaky habit of praising Trapattoni - and then sticking a knife in. Both articles were littered with little digs - such as raising the curfew angle; the way Brady spoke to Ireland; the lack of laughs within the squad. (Yeah, like everyone had a great giggle with him).
    I wonder what his reaction would bhave been if McCarthy made such comments about him - before he'd even had a real game?
    I thought Dunphy was right to get stuck into him in The Star today: "Kerr's just a back seat driver showing no class."
    I think he couldn't wait to get stuck into Trapattoni and his bitterness at the way the FAI treated him is clouding his views.
    Last edited by dublinmick; 26/05/2008 at 5:07 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Kerr milked the "miracle worker" tag a bit too much when he took over from Mick. He got the results you'd at least have expected against Georgia and Albania (93rd minute OG to beat Albania at home remember). When it came to any of the big games we really only delivered once in any way - in Paris - and the 2 crucial games against Switzerland were embarassing.

That said, I think he was unlucky at times and was more capable of putting out a decent side than Staunton was.

If players are not keen on Brady because he was critical of them then God help us. What reaction do they expect after some of the rubbish we saw from them in the last campaign?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Very poor judgement by Kerr, Trap is entitled to a settling in period without being sniped at from the sidelines by a bitter and disgrunted failed former manager. Kerr has had his chance and failed, he should keep his mouth shut about the national team unless he has something positive to say.

I'm surprised the Irish Times pay him for such tabloid drivel.

The only thing I would like to see from Kerr is one article where he gets his feelings about the players off his chest once and for all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Kerr also made reference to Trap and Marco's salaries. Why ?

He also said there is no fun and laughs in the camp. There was certainly none when he was in charge either.

Marco's on MNS on RTE2 now.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Blinky has got to be the most bitter man in football.

Can't stand the sight of him.

Read literally the first paragraph of his article the other day, and just stopped because it was quite clear to see where he was heading yet again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Has Kerr forgotten he got rid of "Kisser in Chief Mick Byrne" only for Stan to bring him back, now he's upset Trap has got rid off him

2 memories of Kerr

On the seafront in telaviv about 6am the morning after the match, outside the Buzz bar, he was nearly lynched by a few supporters, he was delighted with the point...

In the Step Inn in Limassol after the 5 2 defeat, he was gloating about the result and in his own words "the comedy goes on"

While I welcomed his appointment at the time the man disgusts me with his attiude now, preferring us to lose so he can snipe.

As for Liam Brady, a legend as a player, probably the most successful person at bringing throug young kids in England, any player who thinks they cant learn from him or Trap are living in Cuckoo Land
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast