Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Damien Delaney

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Tbf, Mick and Trap both went bad, which is why the public turned on them, rightly IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Tbf, Mick and Trap both went bad, which is why the public turned on them, rightly IMO.
    so the previous achievements of both should have simply been forgotten about when things went a little sour?
    such a fickle attitude and there is nothing "Tbf" about it at all. both deserved far better ends to their reigns than they got given what they both achieved with us.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    What was unfair about the end of Trap's tenure? Mick's was cut short, two games after a World Cup last 16. Trap had run his natural course, as had Jack, for example. Trap also left himself very open to accusations he was on a well paid sinecure and wasn't working hard enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think Mick had to go as well, there was just too much bad feeling at the time, coupled with a disastrous start to a rare campaign where we were actually top seeds. We were practically out of contention after those two games. The whole thing was unfortunate and highly regrettable but I don't really think there was any way back for him overall. We performed very well at the WC, probably through togetherness and adrenaline as much as our obvious talent, but once the dust settled the country was still divided and I think he was p!ssing against the wind a bit. It might have been a bit unfair but he played his part in not managing an admittedly 'tricky' situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What was unfair about the end of Trap's tenure? Mick's was cut short, two games after a World Cup last 16. Trap had run his natural course, as had Jack, for example. Trap also left himself very open to accusations he was on a well paid sinecure and wasn't working hard enough.
    very few disagreed that trap had to go but the vitriol from media and fans alike was unfair

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Showered with praise on MOTD, but as is the case with any player who is playing really well he won't be playing for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Showered with praise on MOTD, but as is the case with any player who is playing really well he won't be playing for Ireland.
    his own decision though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Delaney released this statement through his Instagram account.
    So what does that mean?

He is basically saying I won't be playing for Ireland as I am concentrating on my club career, but I do have some concerns about
    the the team which I can't be bothered t play for an how it is set up.

So what is is really saying here? That he might consider playing under different management or that he won't
    play even if Simon Cowell was manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    his own decision though

Indeed, it always is the player who will not play rare that he is not selected.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    It is interesting to ponder on why Damian Delaney has so few Irish caps under different Irish managers.

He is the kinda guy that just does a very good job for some managers even at club level, and then other managers do not seem to have the same faith in him.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    It is interesting to ponder on why Damian Delaney has so few Irish caps under different Irish managers.

He is the kinda guy that just does a very good job for some managers even at club level, and then other managers do not seem to have the same faith in him.
    But prior to his time at Palace, was he not just a very ordinary, Championship-level fullback? That's where he earned any of his caps for Ireland.

I would admit that he should be in the frame in more recent years, following his rejuvenation, but himself and John O'Shea at the back might not be ideal so his starting opportunities would have been limited.

It's disappointing he hasn't been utilised though. He's done well every time I've watched him for Palace.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I'd say he lacked that bit of pace for fullback at international level. I think centre back would be his best position and I believe thats where Crystal Palace have got the best out of him.

I think Peter Taylor got the best out of him at another club (was it Hull) when he was a lot younger.

Particularly earlier in his career he seems to have been one of these players that certain managers could get him to do well and other managers couldn't.

IT seems as he has matured he has grown in to a player that now can do it consistently.

He should certainly be an example of where perseverance and hard work can get you to a very high level indeed.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post

He should certainly be an example of where perseverance and hard work can get you to a very high level indeed.
    I can attest to this first hand. I saw him during his summer break in a gym in Cork (a few days before we played Scotland in fact). He must have spent 30 minutes on a spinning bike, followed by 30 mins on a treadmill. At a very high pace on both. He was absolutely covered in sweat but his conditioning was unbelievable. I don't think you could find a pick of fat anywhere on him, from what I could see anyway.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 30/08/2015 at 1:26 PM.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Hear some palace fans on a radio phone in (5 live) saying he was "immense".

17. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    One of the heroes of the week in the Daily Telegraph. I think MON and Co are getting off fairly lightly with their treatment of JD. I would imagine a certain native of Cusano Milanino would be getting it in spades from the media and fans alike if he was alienating players like this.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Is he not alienating himself by saying he'd prefer to focus on his club career?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Is he not alienating himself by saying he'd prefer to focus on his club career?
    Yes seems six of one half a dozen of another I don't thin he wants to play anyway but the statements he have been rather confusing and cryptic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He didn't like the fact that O'Neill claimed he was demanding a starting place. Ultimately though, even if that was a complete fabrication on O'Neill's part, Delaney has still made it clear that he would prefer to focus on his club career. It's not as if O'Neill has just ignored his existence, he started him against Turkey little over a year ago and Delaney wasn't very good as it happens.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 31/08/2015 at 4:40 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Jeez, if he was to drop everyone who "wasn't very good" in that or any other game we'd have nobody left!

It's true he was pretty poor in that game alright. I think it's also fair to assume that there is no mutual connection to say the least, so for the sake of squad atmosphere it's probably best. Delaney doesn't strike me as the precious type. He is from Cork though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Jeez, if he was to drop everyone who "wasn't very good" in that or any other game we'd have nobody left!
    That was just an aside really, but if he had been outstanding maybe there would have been a bigger will to keep him on board.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast