Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limerick - Funboys post match thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Limerick - Funboys post match thread

Well first win of the season lads, whats the thoughts?

Personally I think we're short a couple of players, right back, centre mid and a keeper being the most pressing concerns. Davy looks very shaky between the posts at the moment in fairness, I know he pulled off a great save for the penalty but he needs to learn to take his time with his kickouts, and he got out of jail when he passed the ball straight to that Funboy forward when he was off his line, any other team bar Wexford 'let's run it to the corner' Funboys and we would have been one down, and it was the type of game that if we went one down we weren't getting back into it.

On the plus side Wayne Colbert was immense last night, covered the work of three men, was creative on the ball, and was always looking to make space for himself, he could be our Kevin Waters this year. That said we can't expect him to put that level of performance in for each and every game. The atmosphere in the crowd was very good too, and hats must be off for Mr.Fish and Mr.I Die (?) for organising the Funboy flag and CD player amongst others, the megaphone is a great addition for this year too

Wexford, as always, are so poor that they are actually a pleasure to have in this league, how many other teams have gone 8 games without beating us? The main gripe with the ref this time is that when he called the first goal back for a penalty for a Wexford defender handling it on the line why wasn't that player sent off? It's a straight red in the rulebook and yet again we seem to have guys calling First Division games that haven't read it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    The atmosphere in the crowd was very good too,
    Very slow to get going (match didnt help) but we got there in the end, fully enjoyed the 90min pi$$ take, not sure what everyone else thought but I enjoyed myself

Hope those 2 Wexford girls got home safely in that car of theirs BTW. 'lim til i die' was very concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Well first win of the season lads, whats the thoughts?

On the plus side Wayne Colbert was immense last night, covered the work of three men, was creative on the ball, and was always looking to make space for himself, he could be our Kevin Waters this year. That said we can't expect him to put that level of performance in for each and every game. The atmosphere in the crowd was very good too, and hats must be off for Mr.Fish and Mr.I Die (?) for organising the Funboy flag and CD player amongst others, the megaphone is a great addition for this year too
    Tell me more about the craic lads, wasn't there myself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    Tell me more about the craic lads, wasn't there myself
    MC Fish was in residence and he didnt like the pink kit.
    Large pink flag with 'Wexford Funboys' being waved while someone with a sterio played 'gay bar' by Electric six, a normal South Side Friday night no doubt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    We're expecting a lot of competiton for the biggest pi**takers of the season and you've set the bar. Bring it on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    enjoyed the game last night.great laugh with all the good humour and the slagging of the wexford funboys."Gay bar" song was class! Thought the team started really slowly but had a good second half.Tracey is a super lookin player and could play an important role for us in the season ahead.Manjor had a good game,was better than expected especially after some of the flak he was given here,he combines well with tracey up the left side.Agree with previous comment on Wayne,smashing game,centre midfield alongside Tommy Barret will be strong.One serious problem is height,we're not going to score a lot of headers with Bruton and Hayes up front.
    Overall very pleased with our first home game and once the players get used to each other i think our season may not be as bad as expected.
    By the way whats with the green gear.Aweful. hope its only a one off.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Enjoyed the match aswell. Limerick have some very handy players and one plus up from last season is speed, there are some very quick players in the team this season which was a little lacking last year. I think a tall striker up front would be a great help to bruton who didn't really have much to work off, he showed some very good touches though. With a few matches together and some more senior soccer experience this could be handy enough team (better than expected anyway). I'd be worried though when we come up against a more pyhsical team. All in all it was great to get a first win in the first match infront of the home crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    Manjor had a good game,was better than expected especially after some of the flak he was given here,he combines well with tracey up the left side.
    You're the first person I've met to praise him. I thought he was rubbish, kept giving the ball away and couldn't even hold a ball up. He is nowhere near LOI standard. Davy Ryan who replaced him is a far better player. When Derek McCarthy comes back to fitness Manjor shouldn't get a look in. Shane Tracey is wasted at left back, should be playing midfield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post
    Hope those 2 Wexford girls got home safely in that car of theirs BTW. 'lim til i die' was very concerned.
    We got home fine thanks.

Jebus it is a red card when a player handles on the line but I don't think that the ref knew exactly which player handled. Any reports I have read today don't mention a name so not sure anybody does.

As for the flag and music very creative in fairness to ye. Top so far in the **** take league but only our first away game. We shall see.
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Youths4Ever View Post

Top so far in the **** take league but only our first away game. We shall see.
    Keep us updated , good to see you have a sense of humour anyway.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    didn't think manjor was that bad. seemed to play very deep at times though. it was only his second game in league of ireland, i'd see how he gets on in his next couple of matches before making a decsioin on how good he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    didn't think manjor was that bad
    Dont think he did anything that was wrong, we had to watch Cosgrave for most of last year who cant look up and pick out a pass, same thing really but his speed may cause a lot more trouble. Bruton needs support but with Kerley we are never going to play it long, we need Tommy in midfield with Wayne and it'll give us more options

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Keep us updated , good to see you have a sense of humour anyway.
    Ah you gotta have a laugh. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Pink issue progresses through the year. However, I think it will quieten down when we get our act together and start clocking up points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    However, I think it will quieten down when we get our act together and start clocking up points
    So it the slagging might ease off in 2012?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it was interesting to see the team try to play their way through the Youths defence, rather than go for the long ball. I think we are lacking a bit up front and that will be exposed by better teams than Wexford. I thought there wasn't much between the two teams, both of us will probably struggle in the lower reaches this season but one can always be optimistic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpypaddy View Post
    it was interesting to see the team try to play their way through the Youths defence, rather than go for the long ball. I think we are lacking a bit up front and that will be exposed by better teams than Wexford. I thought there wasn't much between the two teams, both of us will probably struggle in the lower reaches this season but one can always be optimistic!
    Draw would have been fair enough and ya I agree, we could be in serious trouble playing Dundalk, Waterford and Longford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    We got home fine thanks.
    Thank God!!

Large pink flag with 'Wexford Funboys' being waved while someone with a sterio played 'gay bar' by Electric six, a normal South Side Friday night no doubt
    Dayyyyycent cuz.

Manjor had a good game
    didn't think manjor was that bad.
    Lads, he's not particularly quick, has a woeful first touch and isn't particularly strong.......

What purpose does he serve??

Bobby Gregg to left full and Shane Treacy up to the left side of midfield.

On the game in general, Wexford are still an absolutely awful side, seriously fairplay to anyone who's still persevering with them at this stage. For our own part, there wasn't half as much football being played as Mike Kerley would like us to believe.

Also, what in ainm de is the story with the right back?!?!

Overall, I'm going to reserve judgement until we get the two lads back from injury but defeat away to a crap Monaghan side followed by needing 86 minutes to put away that pile of rubbish Friday doesn't bode particularly well

What I will say is a team of:

Ryan
    AN Other
    Purcell
    Dannagher
    Gregg
    Treacy
    Barrett
    Colbert
    Cosgrove
    McCarthy
    Bruton

Will genuinely compete with any side in this division if we are keeping the ball on the deck. Injuries throughout the course of the season will kill us though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

On the game in general, Wexford are still an absolutely awful side, seriously fairplay to anyone who's still persevering with them at this stage.
    General opinion is that our players didn't even try for the 2nd half and The Boss is talking today in the local paper about possibly handing over the senior team to someone else and concentrating on the underage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    General opinion is that our players didn't even try for the 2nd half and The Boss is talking today in the local paper about possibly handing over the senior team to someone else and concentrating on the underage.
    Do not give it to Noel O'Connor is all I can say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast