147 26.68%
Page 9 of 212 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    I see Capello is laying down the law with England. I reckon some of our lot would quit or, worse, start crying.

Whatever about our physical inadequacies, those who pointed out that our squad lacks moral courage / leadership were spot on.

I recall Brian Kerr being said to have given an inspirational speech prior to his first game in Scotland. I'd love to have the chance to sit these guys down and tell them what's what, what is expected and why.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with Stuttgart in regards to Ireland. I personally think we would have done better without him in our midfield, despite the goals. I watched the Slovakia away game a second time and it amazed me just how little Ireland was offering the team, particularly when we were defending. He was often miles away from the ball and not really trying to get back and help. I remember there was one point when he picked up a man and then just stood still for about 5-10 seconds only for that player to advance forward, receive the ball and get a shot in. The fact is that it seems as though his attitude during the game is bad just as it is in regards to him wanting to play for us again. I definitely think he can offer us something positive, but only in a 5 man midfield (in the hole behind the strikers) or as an impact substitute.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Pamering to Stephen Ireland is creating another Roy Keane / Saipan situation.

He never genuinely apologised to the nation for his grannies

He never repaid the cost of his private jet, paid for by you and me

He never put the record straight with regard the alleged bullying

HE will not play for Brian Kerr

He refused to play for Steve Staunton

He refused to play for Don Givens

The man should NEVER be allowed to represent his country, and if we are doing well and he is allowed back into the fold it's an insult to those who play and support the team through thick and thin

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    In hindsight, just to cut the bull and put the ball firmly in Irelands court, Givens should have just named him in the squad ful stop. Nothing more than type his name in amongst the rest of the squad and release it, no persuasion, no chasing, just type it in... And let Irelands actions do the talking after that instead of this kind of mexican stand off. It would clarify allot.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    In hindsight, just to cut the bull and put the ball firmly in Irelands court, Givens should have just named him in the squad ful stop. Nothing more than type his name in amongst the rest of the squad and release it, no persuasion, no chasing, just type it in... And let Irelands actions do the talking after that
    No argument to that here.

I think it was Milutenovic who, when having trouble with some squad members, said something along the lines of
    "When I draft a squad, If I were to remove everyone who I considered to have an attitude, & then remove everyone who supposedly thought I had an attitude, I wouldnt have enough players to field a team"

Don Givens seems to be under the impression that what Don Givens personally thinks of someone is the single most important factor in football, if not the entire civillized world. From what I can see, he's used personal dislike as a reason for non-selection / dismissal scenarios in the past, and he's seemingly done it this time with the exclusions of Ireland (somewhat inevitable) and Morrison (frankly inexplicable).

Givens would have come out of this entire farce a hell of a lot better if he, as said above, simply named Ireland in his Brazil squad (instead perhaps of the pointless inclusion of a clearly injured Andy Reid), and letting Ireland's future sink or swim on his response to it, rather than issuing rambling, unhelpful pontifications on behaviour which have done neither party (or the paying fans) any good.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondvillain View Post
    No argument to that here.

I think it was Milutenovic who, when having trouble with some squad members, said something along the lines of
    "When I draft a squad, If I were to remove everyone who I considered to have an attitude, & then remove everyone who supposedly thought I had an attitude, I wouldnt have enough players to field a team"

Don Givens seems to be under the impression that what Don Givens personally thinks of someone is the single most important factor in football, if not the entire civillized world. From what I can see, he's used personal dislike as a reason for non-selection / dismissal scenarios in the past, and he's seemingly done it this time with the exclusions of Ireland (somewhat inevitable) and Morrison (frankly inexplicable).

Givens would have come out of this entire farce a hell of a lot better if he, as said above, simply named Ireland in his Brazil squad (instead perhaps of the pointless inclusion of a clearly injured Andy Reid), and letting Ireland's future sink or swim on his response to it, rather than issuing rambling, unhelpful pontifications on behaviour which have done neither party (or the paying fans) any good.

Why would you name someone in the squad who has already made it clear they do not want to be considered for selection.

What does that say to the rest of the squad? No committment required to play for this team...just turn up when it suits you

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    That's the thing though.... He hasn't really made it clear.. NOt to the fans anyway

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's the thing though.... He hasn't really made it clear.. NOt to the fans anyway
    What couldn't be clearer

He is on public record as not willing to play for Kerr

He is on public record that he was not available for the games against Germany, Cyrpus and Wales.

Do you thing that we should get down on our knees and beg him to play, what messages does that send out to the rest of the players?

Plain and simple he has no interest in playing for his country.

If only he had the attitude of Bernard Jackman who in a radio interview yesterday said he would walk through a field of nettles to play for his country, after getting his first start for Ireland in Paris this weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Why would you name someone in the squad who has already made it clear they do not want to be considered for selection.

Why name someone in the squad who is recuperating from injury and has absolutely 0% chance of making the game?

Givens' squad was exactly that. Givens squad.

It was not the best available in-form squad for the Republic of Ireland. For all intents and purposes, it was "Who Don Likes. Feb 08"

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I certainly have no idea (other than speculation over the lad's mental health) why Ireland wont play. The posts above were not a ringing endorsement of Irelands attitude, but rather that a statement naming him in the squad would force a definitive statement from Stephen Ireland one way or the other , which would go some way to ending speculation once and for all, letting us move on from this, and giving Don one less subject to waflle about , as if he's the keeper of some great secret, in the future.
    Last edited by Bondvillain; 06/02/2008 at 11:20 AM.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondvillain View Post
    Why name someone in the squad who is recuperating from injury and has absolutely 0% chance of making the game?

Givens' squad was exactly that. Givens squad.

It was not the best available in-form squad for the Republic of Ireland. For all intents and purposes, it was "Who Don Likes. Feb 08"

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I certainly have no idea (other than speculation over the lad's mental health) why Ireland wont play. The posts above were not a ringing endorsement of Irelands attitude, but rather that a statement naming him in the squad would force a definitive statement from Stephen Ireland one way or the other , which would go some way to ending speculation once and for all, letting us move on from this, and giving Don one less subject to waflle about , as if he's the keeper of some great secret, in the future.

Why he is unwilling to play is irrelevant, did you read Richard Dunne's comments about him, from what he said on the record I doubt if Ireland will be very welcome back with the players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Do you think that we should get down on our knees and beg him to play, what messages does that send out to the rest of the players?
    I've already said what I think.. No begging, no chasing, no bitching in the media, None of this "It's your move" sh!te in the media from Givens, and none of the "How dare he" sh!te from Ireland in the media, just type his name in with the rest of squad and release it. Ireland shows up, grand. Ireland doesn't, it's his decision but he can't claim anything other than he simply doesn't want to play.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Why he is unwilling to play is irrelevant, did you read Richard Dunne's comments about him, from what he said on the record I doubt if Ireland will be very welcome back with the players.
    This should not be an issue. I'm sure that most people here have had to work with people that they didn't really like at some stage and they just had to get on with it. Once the players are professional about it, and with Stephen Ireland are focused on a common goal, ie. qualification for the World Cup, we will hopefully be alright. This common goal is best served by having our best players available to us for selection.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What? You're kidding right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    All I was suggesting is that clarification of the situation from Ireland himself would be helpful. We haven't had that. We've had other people affirming why he wont play, but thats pretty much all third hand information. Incedentally, Why he is unwilling to play is very relevant. As a ticket buyer, Im personally quite interested in whether there's something going on which stops a talanted player wanting to play for his country.

People can give as much amateur analysis as they like, none of us clearly knows why, and I just dont think third party hints and speculation, unhelpful griping from Givens and Silence after the fact from Ireland himself constitutes clarity.

And they nearly did.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    We have had a lot more than third party information, its pretty clear when you examine the history of Stephen Ireland that he doesn't want to play for his country, the lies about the dead grandmother in order to get out of the team, him withdrawing from the team because he was too depressed to play for Ireland but not depressed enough to not play for his club, failing to pick up the phone and say he is ready to play again, failing to take up Dunnes offer of letting Dunne contact the FAI on his behalve, there is easily enough evidence to conclude that he doesn't want to play for his country

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    I'd love to know how Dunne's comments can be reconciled with this:

http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News...nd-on-Ireland/

I'd believe Dunne over Ireland any day of the week, but still why would Ireland bother spouting this guff so recently?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    What? You're kidding right
    No..... Leaving aside the 'Granny' fiasco, since then there's been nothing commital from Ireland about him staying out of the fold... Unless I've missed something... Have I?

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Didn't Dunne say he'd offered to intermediate but that Ireland is not for turning?

Anyway, Liam Miller showed last night that it's one thing being able to play a few passes around but if you're not physical or athletic enough to do the required work off the ball you get swamped. I don't see how Stephen Ireland could improve things. JJ & Owen to the rescue!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I think as a few have already mentioned, let the next manager name him in the squad, forget about the past, if he doesn't turn up then so be it.
    Let the new manager deal with him as he see fits and as the situation transpires should Ireland accept the squad call up..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I think as a few have already mentioned, let the next manager name him in the squad, forget about the past, if he doesn't turn up then so be it.
    Let the new manager deal with him as he see fits and as the situation transpires should Ireland accept the squad call up..
    Bol**ks to this. 'if he doesn't turn up, then so be it'.

He made himself unavailable for whatever reasons he has. When he is ready to make himself available again, all he (or his agent) has to do is pick up a phone and tell someone.

Simple as.

F**k this notion of mollycoddling him.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Page 9 of 212 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast