Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ill get us promoted ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

ill get us promoted ;)

Hi lads, in a bad mood over the Dundalk result, from what i heard from the lads that were there Dundalk were shocking, the worst Dundalk team in yonks! So maybe a bit rash but i think during the break we need to bring in a few and get rid of a few. lll try not to offend anyone here so bare the codes in mind. Id sign in that lad Ricardo (Creative midfielder) the left back from ashling who broke his coller bone against cork. Central defender Brian Buckley From Fairview, The lanky striker Tobin from St micks in Tipp, Weldrick and Hughes who will be back for the run in last 10 or so games, and i belive Eddie Hickey is being mentioned by some.
    But wait...Trev these players cost money! thats right Dr Nick they do so heres the players we ammm lose, misplace etc...Donnlan hasnt turned up for weeks so hes gone, Limsfans favorate son i think he could go, that very quite shotstopper of ours, maybe maybe JohnDs fav no 6!!! and most of all the stirker who hasnt even got on a bench in the last few weeks. That should balance the books and get us up. well what do ye think, oh and one thng from what ive been reading Cooney is too light and inconsistent to be a central midfielder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

come on

come on someone attack me for my slaying of our most finest athletes, im getting sars here in eurosurf waiting for the onslaught

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    grand so . I happen to agree with you on all counts boy !..especially the no:6. I surprised you havent been attacked yet but sometimes the Lurkers wait until the real world before they let loose ;- )..!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

how do u

get those football things to come up?? true Johnd 23 views and not a single responce, there seems to be loads sitting on the fence here as per usual. I post up these brilliently titled posts by the way to see who can get the most views. look at my limerick fc rip one...the clear winner! oh i heard from a mate (female of course) that sligo have no wigth and little penitration up front cept for Cretario on the right wing. The full backs squeeze4 in on the center backs and the english lad in midfield drops back to form a tight back 5. so when they come in a few weeks time we play wide players to pull them apart. The goal they conceeded was a well diliverd corner which was headed in on their own 6 yard line. pity non of our boys can beat the first man from corners lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry Gael, didn't repond because you are talking a load of ****e.

Your analysis is so brilliant I don't know why anyone didn't think of it before. Maybe its because we can't sign these players (transfer window and all that), these players don't want to sign for us or they are not better than the players we have. You can't just say "Oh go out and sign this fella and that fella". Football doesn't quite work like that.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Originally posted by LFC in Exile
    Maybe its because we can't sign these players (transfer window and all that)
    Transfer Window reopened on June 1st so we can in fact sign players again.

And I've got to say you're after getting very narky there for no reason that I can see. Transfer speculation is part of football and given that Mike Kerley has said on local radio that he's looking for a few new players then surely we're hardly over-stepping the mark in trying to predict who they might be?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

lims fan

Idiot

Its people like you that are holding this club back - apologists.
    Everything Gael353 said is true, why are you getting so defensive.
    You want the club to fail, you can't handle success and you love your smalltime internal squabbling with no constructive critique.
    Writing off a humiliating and overwhelming defeat because its too far of a trip is stupid, downright crap.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a record number of views Gael 353!! You must be proud!!!

Myself, I have been giving serious consideration to posting a thread asking the lurkers and one-time posters to come forward, but I doubt it would make a difference... (probably get a lot of views though!! )

As for Cooney, I think you're being harsh. He is the only mid-fielder we have that pushes forward. The rest of our guys are predominately defensive mid-fielders and we need the variation so we don't end up like last year where most of our football was played from deep in our defence. If anything I think he is being underused. We have Stevo feeding in, when he should be in the box. It makes more sense to me to have Stevo on the recieving end of the crosses possibly whipped in by Cooney? Thoughts anyone?
    "Anyone who's Soapy should be flushed and anyone who's a Deserter should be shot."
    - John Purcell (Limerick FC Commercial Manager), February 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Originally posted by deise deserter
    Thoughts anyone?
    If you play Cooney central midfield he won't be whipping in any crosses anyway. I don't think he's big enough physically yet to make an impact in the middle of the park either. It's all very well for Stephen Kenny to tout him as a central midfield star but for now he's best suited out on the wing where I think he generally does a very good job for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Sometimes I wonder about the knowledge some people on this board have about the game, I really do.This Ricardo will do only one thing for the club...and that is attract female support (no bad thing) but as a left back or creative midfielder....forget it.I don't know this Tobin lad from St Micks and Buckley would only be a squad player...maybe a left back. As for Eddie Hickey...he seems to have ideas above his station, and the reason Pike got rid of him was that he was demanding more than the 2 grand, yes, 2 grand he got off them to play junior football, and then got a huff when he was rested for a meaningless cup game and left Pike high and dry.Do the club need a guy like that....I doubt it.Weldrick and Hughes have been tried and tested and at best would only be squad members, not regulars.As for Cooney being light and inconsistent-He's physically bigger than any other midfielder we have at the club and I was talking to Bobby Ryan on Friday night and he tells me that Bohs are thinking of recalling him and using him as a ... you guessed it...central midfielder for the rest of their campaign.Inconsistency stems from him not knowing whether he's a winger or central player, and he seems despondant at being left on the wing. Then again it wouldn't be the first time that this club has completely ignored obvious talent and oportunity staring them straight in the face and let it move on, now would it??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Don't agree with all of that JoeSoap. Cooney is tall but quite skinny, much like myself. He's looked lost in central midfield when he's played there. If (and it's a big if) Bohs recall him it's because Stephen Kenny has panicked because of their current poor form. I like Cooney a lot as a player but he doesn't track back enough to be used in central midfield.

Similarly my mind boggles that you can question anybodies football knowledge in one sentence and then dismiss the Italian lad Ricardo in the next... He looked absolutely top-drawer in the friendly against Galway and would be a better option than many of the current incumbents at full-back. A full-back who can pass? We wouldn't know ourselves (with all due respect to Eoin Keating who's well able to pass a ball).

Welderick and Hughes as squad players? I disagree. Two good young, versatile players who will still only get better if given the chance. Likewise so what if Buckley is on the fringes of things for a season or two. What age is he? 20? It'll all be good experience for him.

I do agree with you about Hickey though, there must be better goalkeepers around who won't rock the boat and will display some professionalism (which rules out Mike Heath too)

We need a goalkeeper, a left-full, another centre-half and a striker to beef out the squad a bit. Maybe another midfield player too.
    Last edited by sadloserkid; 10/06/2003 at 1:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Maybe in Lims Fan' s brain realism is the same as small-time but that's his issue not mine.

I think Gael is big enough to take me saying that he's talking ****e. And unlike Lims Fan's post(s) I backed my comment up with an argument as opposed to just having a rant.

Always it seems there is talk about we should sign this player or we should sign that player. Can we give the players we have a chance to settle down before launching some more in on top. There are regular players who played regularly last season. O'Flynn, Purcell and Finucane. Molan, Keating and Heffernan were around of course. That means that the vast majority of the team has changed in the space of 4 months. Not to mention a new manager as well. I think the players that have been signed are a huge improvemnt on the corresponding players from last season. I think it would be madness to go out and buy 5 new players suggested by Gael. I also reckon those players would be a bit more expensive than those they would replace - the club is not in a position to be able to afford expensive squad players.

I think Cooney is being played out of position. We have wide men as good, but we don't have central midfielders as good. Play him in the centre with Cooney. I didn't see Loughman play but I reckon he should be tried since Healy does seem dodgy.

Let me clarify one thing. I did not put the defeat to Dundalk down to the bus journey. I said that you can hardly expect footballers to be sharp coming off a 5 hour bus trip. The reason we lost to Dundalk is probably because we didn't take our chances and we were missing key players such as Purcell.

As for not wanting success - I think this is a howl coming from that poster who wrote off the League Cup win as soon as it happened. Lims Fan has been remarkably quiet this season. Is it because the team are playing good football, have signed some good players and have won a few matches? If we were bottom of the league it would be impossible to shut him up.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I don't agree with SLK...Cooney is plenty strong enough and certainly good enough to play central midfield.I think our strongest possible XI to beat Kildare would be:Loughman, Kerley, Purcell, Finnucane, Molan, Keating, Sweeney, Cooney, Heffernan, McCarthy, O'Flynn. Subs Healy, Whyte, O Donoghue, O'Mahony, Foley. I know you'll all think I'm mad but Kerley is still a fine player that will bring a much needed bit of experience to proceedings, Keating has a bit of pace and can beat a man and I believe he would be great on the right side. Cooney and Sweeney are a fine combination, and I was tempted to play Ciaran Foley on the left instead of Heffernan, who I will give the benefit of the doubt to one last time.Foley is a little unlucky but shows great attitude and just gets on with it.I'm assuming Sugrue is still exam tied.
    Last edited by joeSoap; 10/06/2003 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I agree with you about Kerley himself, still a class player. I don't know if he feels that sure of himself any more though. As for Cooney himself, we'll have to agree to disagree though I also think he's a fine player, just that he doesn't impose himself enough in the centre. Mike Kerley seems to hold that view also. I'd be more tempted to replace McCarthy than Heffernan with Foley as well at the moment though because even though he seems to be putting in the effort Derek is finding it tough going right now.

And on a last point if you're going to drop John Whyte to play Gareth Cooney in the middle then I think it's even more important to start Kerley for some experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think your mad? No way....

I'd play

Loughman

Keating Purcell Finucane O'Mahoney

Heffernan Cooney Sweeney Sugrue

McCarthy O'Flynn

Heffernan is right footed I think but I wouldn't break up the O'Mahoney-Sugrue partnership on the right.

Cooney should play in central midfield. He doesn't have to track back that much with Sweeney playing a holding role. This would also stop O'Flynn from having to drop back to pick up ball in midfield. At times we play too deep with too big a gap between the front two and two defensively minded midfielders in Sweeny and Whyte.

I agree that Kerley could play (still more than capable) but I'm not a big fan of player managers. Managers have to be able to watch the game and make changes as needed. This is harder to do when you have to think about your own game too. I don't like Foley playing wide. He kills an attack by taking too many touches to bring a ball under control. If Sugrue is not available I'd play Molan at ful back and move Keating forward and Heffernan to the other side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    SLK...We'll agree on all points bar the Cooney issue then.I agree with you about Derek, I just feel that because we're not penetrative enough in the central midfield area, he's suffering. He's having to work too hard to try and get quality ball.Thats my argument about Cooney, I believe he'll provide him with that service through the direct channels, thus eliminating the workload for Derek allowing him more time to concentrate on what we all know he can do...
    Last edited by joeSoap; 10/06/2003 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

If I was picking the team

Loughman

O'Mahony Purcell Finucane Kerley

Sugrue Sweeney Keating Cooney

McCarthy O'Flynn

Subs: Healy, Molan, Whyte, Heffernan, Foley

A bit experimental I know but hear me out. Loughman deserves a run, Healy is too inconsistent and makes too many errors. The two centre-halves pick themselves and we haven't many options when they're out (bar the flexible Keating) Kerley also deserves a start but I don't want to break up the O'Mahony/Sugrue axis so I'd play him on the left with O'Mahony on the right. You could stick Conor Molan at left-back and Kerley at right back and I wouldn't complain either.

Midfield will cause some arguments I'd say. Since John Whyte is too immobile for ye I've pushed Keating into the middle instead. He's done well there a couple of times this season and can pass the ball well. Give him a bit of a license to roam and let Sweeney anchor midfield as ever. Then Cooney goes on one flank and I'd pick Sugrue over Heffernan at the moment because he (Sugrue) is getting more balls in. If he's still sitting exams then I'd just about give Heffernan the nod over Foley. I'd stick with the same two up front for now though if Derek is struggling to keep up I'd throw Foley on or else push Heffernan up (he can score) and play Foley out wide.

Now for the abuse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: If I was picking the team

Originally posted by sadloserkid
    Now for the abuse!
    Okay, you're some la nger. And ugly with it too.

Now, as regards your selection. Not much argument really. Kerly shouldn't play himself - as I argued above it is too hard to manage a team and concentrate on your own game at the same time.

Why Keating in the centre and Cooney left. Cooney is a natural central-midfielder, Keating isn't. Keating has played wide more often than Cooney so stick with that. Service to the front two would improve with Cooney more involved in the game. Get him more involved by putting him in the centre. I think you're a bit inconsistent saying that Cooney is too light and then going with Keating in there.

I hope Mike is reading all of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

HOW ABOUT THIS FOR MADNESS???

Lets go completely bonkers here for a minute and go 3 at the back with wing backs. This way we can accomodate John Whytes lack of mobility and still have a hardman physical presence in the middle??? Now I know I'm losing it....or am I????

Loughman

Keating Purcell Finnucane

O'Mahony Sugrue(wing backs)

Cooney Whyte Sweeney (central)

McCarthy O'Flynn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Keating has probably played central midfield more times than Cooney this season. He can also defend, my main objection to Cooney being stationed there. Keating could easily become a box-to-box player while Cooney is very much an attacking player. I feel Keating will 'get stuck in' more. That's why I put Eoin in the middle and left Gareth out wide.

Similarly it would have been a disaster last season to have had a player manager but with two more members of the coaching team on the bench in Derek Whyte and Kevin Fitzpatrick they should be able to fill that void to a degree. It worked for Cobh last season (granted Hill was suspended most of the time anyway!) and could work for us too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast