Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 210 of 258 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Words doing the rounds now that he will start after all. For Scotland.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    If so, I predict we win 3 nil.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I know it's not what you feel personally, but why do your mates (and plenty others too) think he wouldn't have fancied the game? He's put up with plenty of vitriol and dogs abuse around Scotland before for lining out for us at youth level, yet he still committed to us at senior level. I do get the impression he's quite a shy, down-to-earth lad (a rare quality I admire in the modern footballer, although Trap used to always suggest it was to his detriment and that he needed to impose his mentalitee more, or was something lost in translation there?), but he's a professional at the end of the day and would even have had Aiden there beside him to soften the spotlight, if such would indeed have been the source of any anxiety. Whether or not he fancied the game or not, it hasn't had any bearing on the fact he won't be playing. If he was fit, he'd have been playing, or would people dispute that? As it turned out, he wasn't fit, as confirmed by the FAI's doctor who scanned him twice(?) this week.

Big respect to Whelan too for his efforts, definitely. Very admirable.
    Sure you know yourself, Danny, we Irish are a bunch of cynics! One or two referenced his, deemed, indecisive before he was tied to us in a competitive match. Another couple highlighted the fact that he played the full 90 for Everton but couldn't be fit for a match a week later. A lot conjecture.

I think a question must be asked as to why he was left on the field for Everton though. The Irish doctors have clearly exercised their duty of care. Difficult to measure the applicability of that to Martinez who is experiencing a bit of pressure of late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Sure you know yourself, Danny, we Irish are a bunch of cynics! One or two referenced his, deemed, indecisive before he was tied to us in a competitive match. Another couple highlighted the fact that he played the full 90 for Everton but couldn't be fit for a match a week later. A lot conjecture.

I think a question must be asked as to why he was left on the field for Everton though. The Irish doctors have clearly exercised their duty of care. Difficult to measure the applicability of that to Martinez who is experiencing a bit of pressure of late.
    Everton had used all their substitutes and were drawing 1-1 with a few minutes to go. I don't think any serious professional manager would bring a player off under those circumstances if it was thought the player could see the game through and he could keep a tight game eleven versus eleven.

The latter concern is easily dismissed by the fact that he was checked by the FAI doctor and sent home - not McCarthy's call - whilst the former concern you mention is negated by the fact he has been decisive. He committed to us. Any comments from the SFA (or related individuals) on the matter were ones of admitted failure to turn his head, whilst he himself said he had never considered switching. I mean, if he wasn't sure about playing for us, why would he go through with it and commit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I should say that his ultimate decision at least somewhat negated any concerns over possible indecisiveness rather. Obviously, we don't know the inner workings of his mind. Beyond his actions, we can only go on what he tells us. If it were true that he's not sure about playing for Ireland, then it would be to accuse him of conducting a charade. The recent "BringOnTheScots!" tweet would all have been a part of that. I just don't see him as being deceptive like that at all.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Of course he's genuinely injured - but I suspect he's relieved to be out of the game. Not the type of player who'd fancy being at the centre of dogs' abuse from some of the most, eh 'rugged' fans in the game. Some players might relish it - Roy Keane springs to mind - but I don't think McCarthy would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think he'd relish it.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Keep the psychoanalysis of a player you've never met before coming, guys.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It's always been said of McCarthy that he has a fragile mentality by people who know him better than we do.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    People have said he's a shy character and that he can fail to take control of games the way he should. Never seen any suggestion he'd run scared from a bit of abuse - in fact, the overwhelming evidence from his entire professional career is that he has the strength of character not to bow to pressure or abuse. That's not psychoanalysing him - it's just a rational observation based on the evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Martinez.html

Keane on Martinez pressuring McCarthy & Coleman not to play for Ireland; McCarthy pulling out of squad despite no significant damage to his hamstring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I feel like this thread has just plunged back three years to when it was a mere scamp at 105 pages.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Martinez.html

Keane on Martinez pressuring McCarthy & Coleman not to play for Ireland; McCarthy pulling out of squad despite no significant damage to his hamstring.
    Hey, just cos you're paranoid doesn't mean Martinez isn't a git.

Keane is a great one to talk. Tehran.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    This thread is now officially SAFC...

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Ronnie Whelan mentioned something about new comments from MON saying how McCarthy would have played if it was a club match. Keane is one to talk no doubts about it but something not right for me. I was surprised to see McCarthy at the game. The press (ok you would nearly not believe the date they print) said he was back at Everton for treatment. The Martinez apologists won't like all these comments all the same! LOL
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McCarthy didn't pull himself out of the squad; the FAI doctor assessed him and deemed him unfit to play, or so we've been told, no? Is Keane disputing this? If it wasn't the case that McCarthy was unfit to play, then why was he removed from the official squad and why hadn't this conversation that Keane talks about been had with Martinez? Martinez' job is to look out for Everton's interests. It's our side's job to stand up for our interests when there is a conflict there. If a talk needs to be had with Martinez, it should have happened weeks ago - post-Germany - when O'Neill initially seemed to express a guarded scepticism over the authenticity of claims about McCarthy's fitness. No point in us moaning about it to the media now when it's too late to change things.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    I thought the FAI Doctor said the scan was clear but it was the player himself who didn't want to put himself through the rigours of training on Thursday as he was worried the injury might recur.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought the FAI Doctor said the scan was clear but it was the player himself who didn't want to put himself through the rigours of training on Thursday as he was worried the injury might recur.
    I had understood differently. Did the doctor definitely pass him fully fit to play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I've seen numerous reports saying the scan gave the all clear. It was the McCarthy's call. He knows his body, it's a difficult one for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Bill Kenwright and Martin on Roy's comments: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inter...with-martinez/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has subsequently hit back at Keane for "saying some stupid things".

Kenwright told Sky Sports News: "I'm a big fan of Roy Keane's, but he does say some stupid things.

"That is just totally, totally unfair, we absolutely love our players going on international duty and we never ever get in the way of them and Roberto Martinez will be as shocked as everyone at Everton."

Asked about the comments of both his assistant and Kenwright, O'Neill said: "Well first of all, I haven't picked up on Roy's comments. I don't follow him around. I haven't had the chance to read what he has said.

"From my own perspective, regardless of what Roy has said, I think the situation was this: way back, let me put it this way, the two lads were not fit for the game against Gibraltar and Germany, and obviously played [for Everton] a couple of days later. That is understandable.

"I had spoken to Seamus and Seamus just wasn't right. I didn't speak to James at the time, but there was a thought that he might have played against Manchester United then, but didn't do so.

"I hadn't really a problem with that at all, it was just that this particular time, James does have a muscle injury. He came here, he was wanting to try it and really wanted to give it a go.

"We always thought that time would be against us and I think he will be perfectly all right to play at the weekend for his club, and really there isn't much more I can say about it."

Asked further if he would now look at Keane's comments, O'Neill said: "It is not my job to read the newspapers every single morning, it's not, honestly. I have other things to do at this minute.

"I'm not saying they are more important, but they are issues I have to address. I might get a chance to go down and find out what was said on both sides, and then I will take a view."