Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those slippery slopes I warned of are here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    Help out? As far as I know the FAI owe Limerick a lot of money but there's no sign of it winging our way. Limerick have been spending money on the back of this expected FAI money, for example as far as I know new turnstyles were purchased recently. A club in financial crisis does not buy new turnstyles. So by all means I think our officials trip to Dublin is to get money that we are owed, not to beg for help...
    As far as I can see, the main outgoings for the club are wages. The FAI aren't going to help with those. I appreciate that new turnstiles have been bought, but for Jackman Park, a ground we lease. I would question why the club put new turnstiles in at their own expense when they are only tenants. Would you put a new door in a house you rent, or would you expect the landlord to do it? The grant money is for development only, so the only money the club can claim back is what they've spent on development of Jackman, which, lets face it, isn't a whole lot. There is a reason that the FAI money hasn't arrived before now. I would like to know what it is. And it still won't be the solution to the problems. The club needs a full time commercial whizz in place, someone well paid and motivated. There are a lot of well-intentioned people out there, but good intentions don't make you money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would appointing a full time commercial manager not be a big drain on club....if ye cant afford to pay the players how are ye going to pay a commercial manager...thought when LIM37 was formed ye had high profile people in place that could run the club properly like a business

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    A proper Commercial Manager will work best off a high commission/bonus structure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Finance is simple.You cannot spend what you havent got.What is this redherring about FAI money??As far as I know to get any licence you need to be able to pay your way.Thats why they put in place the rules about wages not exceeding the % of your income (???).I would think that the arrival of the lads back from Rovers has severely overbalanced that equation.As far as I know again the FAI do not contribute to wages.Can anyone tell me I am wrong about that.

The only positive I can take from this is that it has not been let run too long so its not a Shelbourne size thing yet and may be salvaged by interim funding but then the horns of expense have to be pulled in.

The issue has to be players wages expectations.They attract the crowds so based on the gates less the expenses that leaves money for wages(before tax).If they only attract 700 then the net figure (taking into account home and away for simplification)divided by 2 leaves the amount that can be shared out with the players .Any more than that and that "slippery slope" has added oil on it.The people who take control have to do exactly that=ONLY PAY OUT ON WAGES WHAT IS LEFT.Otherwise its mismanagement not management.
    "You'll not see nothing like the Shelbourne team"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The only positive I can take from this is that it has not been let run too long so its not a Shelbourne size thing yet and may be salvaged by interim funding but then the horns of expense have to be pulled in.
    Good point. We have time to sort all this out. Maybe now is the time for the Club to Launch their "Friends of Limerick 37" direct debit campaign. Also the Supporters' club could start up a fundraising campaign.

We have a big match coming up soon v Finn Harps we need to sell the importance of this game to the general public and media and get over 1,000 people through the "new" turnstiles
    "How Can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team"-- B.Bragg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the dazzler View Post
    lads from what i can gather from a player is the three lads who came from rovers are getting nearly double the other lads are getting and still being paid the lads there all year have not being paid six players were told they could leave
    Bull$hit, Laughable Bull$hit
    Last edited by Lim till i die; 26/07/2007 at 8:54 PM. Reason: HA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    I appreciate that new turnstiles have been bought, but for Jackman Park, a ground we lease. I would question why the club put new turnstiles in at their own expense when they are only tenants. Would you put a new door in a house you rent, or would you expect the landlord to do it? .
    Could you honestly see the LDMC Comittee going to buy turnstiles without coming back with magic beans??

The grant money is for development only, so the only money the club can claim back is what they've spent on development of Jackman, which, lets face it, isn't a whole lot.
    Believe it or not, it's an awful, awful lot

There is a reason that the FAI money hasn't arrived before now. I would like to know what it is.
    The FAI are a shower of clowns???

And it still won't be the solution to the problems. The club needs a full time commercial whizz in place, someone well paid and motivated. There are a lot of well-intentioned people out there, but good intentions don't make you money
    Fully Agreed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbourne1904 View Post
    The issue has to be players wages expectations.They attract the crowds so based on the gates less the expenses that leaves money for wages(before tax).If they only attract 700 then the net figure (taking into account home and away for simplification)divided by 2 leaves the amount that can be shared out with the players .Any more than that and that "slippery slope" has added oil on it.The people who take control have to do exactly that=ONLY PAY OUT ON WAGES WHAT IS LEFT.Otherwise its mismanagement not management.
    Nonsense

No club in the world could pay its wages of gate receipts alone.

It's on the commercial side we're falling down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So much for this professional league. Look what is happening with us now Limerick again. Surely the FAI must pump money into this league or it will never get better

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Am I right in saying that L37 are in financial trouble, organised a fundraiser but then cancelled it to have an emergency meeting about raising funds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    bring back danny drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lads same story every year with limerick no money always begging stARTED WHEN THEY ANNONCED a signing of a player on the radio which player knew nothing about some commercial side of the club ok what a joke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote JoeSoap:
    The grant money is for development only, so the only money the club can claim back is what they've spent on development of Jackman, which, lets face it, isn't a whole lot
    Quote Lim till I die:
    Believe it or not, it's an awful, awful lot
    I know exactly how much it is. However on that note I ask one point, annd you were around in the last few years so you'll know where I'm going with this. How was Danny Drew able to do the work he did in Hogan Park (which to be fair was a fair bit of good work) for one third of the cost that L37 were able to tarmac a car parking area and throw a lick of paint on the shed for?

Either Danny is a very very good bargainer, or L37 got ripped off in their development work in the jacks...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    Quote JoeSoap:
    Quote Lim till I die:

I know exactly how much it is. However on that note I ask one point, annd you were around in the last few years so you'll know where I'm going with this. How was Danny Drew able to do the work he did in Hogan Park (which to be fair was a fair bit of good work) for one third of the cost that L37 were able to tarmac a car parking area and throw a lick of paint on the shed for?

Either Danny is a very very good bargainer, or L37 got ripped off in their development work in the jacks...
    was a lot of wasted money spent when a certain person was with the ldmc and seems to be happening now with lim37 strange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What has any of the developement funds got to do with the day to day costs versus incoming revenue of runing the club??They are 2 completely seperate issues and if there is an idea that the former can influence the latter then the slippery slope is avalanching down behind the skiier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbourne1904 View Post
    What has any of the developement funds got to do with the day to day costs versus incoming revenue of runing the club??They are 2 completely seperate issues and if there is an idea that the former can influence the latter then the slippery slope is avalanching down behind the skiier.
    We have had to channel funds that were earmarked for elsewhere into devolpment, as the FAI haven't produced the money they said it would. Simple enough for you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats the opposite to what is normally the problem with things like this.Anyway this is not the place to go into detail.
    But if L37 goes down through not fault of the people in control and solely down to the FAI someone needs to let them know fast that all their new job appointments and all the PR in the world will not gloss over the demise of what should be the third biggest football centre in Ireland and was up to this clearly on the road to achieving this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    well if it happens to us it could very easily happen to other clubs that aren't financially sound, Longford in particular, and other 1st Division clubs that have schoolboy club attendances, Kilkenny, Monaghan etc., so hopefully the FAI will start pulling the finger out for all of us, and not just for one club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    In fairness Jebus, I don't thinkthat there's any blame to be passed the way of the FAI on this. It's pure and simple bad management. You don't hear of Kilkenny, Monaghan, Wexford in financial trouble because they live and operate within their means. Even Wexford, who could afford to go wild with Mick Wallaces's money, don't do so because there are prudent commercial minds at the club.
    Last edited by joeSoap; 27/07/2007 at 12:26 PM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    This is kind of scary considering that the performances and the crowds have been pretty good. What would have happened had the team played poorly and the crowds stayed away?

Hopefully it's a storm in a teacup or some sort of cunning tactic to pressure the monies owed out of the FAI, but still, it ain't good.

One point- last year I think the proportion of Harps income that came from gates was about 35%, and it's been around that mark for quite a while. (It'll probably jump a bit this year due to the Derry and Celtic games though).

Getting income streams set up other than gate receipts is a prerequisite for survival in this league, simple as that. Our own commercial side has been traditionally very weak, yet it still brings in a good few quid. With the launch of the new club in Limerick an opportunity was missed to capitalize on the good publicity and vibe to get some sponsors aboard. I guess that's easily said now, but getting some form of commercial income could and should have been one of the central planks of the new club setup.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast