0 Posts

Spurs sign Bent

spurs have signed bent from charlton for 16.5m pounds
    SLIGO ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Ridiculous money. Is he better than Henry or Berbatov? I don't think so.

He's a good player though. It's just unfortunate for him he'll have such a big pricetag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Ridiculous money. Is he better than Henry or Berbatov? I don't think so.

He's a good player though. It's just unfortunate for him he'll have such a big pricetag.
    There is a commonly held view (perhaps not you, SuperFrank) that English clubs pay over the odds for English players. Personally, I don't see why otherwise hard-headed Chairmen should suddenly lose their reason in this respect - especially when many of them are not English themselves!

There is usually a good explanation, which is why it's not realistic to compare e.g. Bent with Henry or Berbatov on a like-for-like basis.

Re. Henry, he's nearly 30, so after his present contract expires, he'll have virtually no sell-on value, whereas Bent is 23 - three or four good seasons at Spurs could see them get their money back if they sold him. Also, Bent's wages at Spurs are said to be £45k per week. Henry's are probably three times that i.e. an extra £3m(?) per year over four years = £12 million.
    Also, Charlton were at least as determined to keep Bent as Arsenal were Henry.
    Then West Ham drove up Bent's price, by agreeing the full asking price of £17 million up front (plus a reputed £70k per week wages ). If truth be told, there weren't any other rival clubs in for Henry who were prepared to stump up more than Barca.

As for Berba, transfer fees in Germany are generally much lower (I think the record ever paid by a German club is around £15m - certainly less than £20m). Primarily this reflects the fact that continental players tend to move clubs more frequently than in England. Also, strict financial regulations mean German clubs cannot go into debt by paying huge wages or transfer fees.
    More generally, there is more of a risk that even the top foreign players won't settle into English football e.g. Schevchenko, Crespo and Veron at Chelsea alone.
    And in any case, Berbatov was a rare bargain on Spurs' part. If Spurs were to sell him now, he'd command at least £20 million - probably nearer £30 million, in fact.

On top of which, if Bent can become an England regular, his "image rights" etc will be worth much more to Spurs (e.g. shirt sales) than for any other Nationality (esp. Bulgarian!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    There is a commonly held view (perhaps not you, SuperFrank) that English clubs pay over the odds for English players. Personally, I don't see why otherwise hard-headed Chairmen should suddenly lose their reason in this respect - especially when many of them are not English themselves!
    I do actually believe that myself but my understanding of it is that there are so few truly top English players at English clubs and that's why they cost so much.

Henry would be more expensive but like Bent his image will generate an awful lot more revenue for Barcelona.

Really though the sad thing about all football these days is every single player is over-priced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    there is an interview with bent on the bbc sport website

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The reason they paid so much for him is because he is English & proven goal scorer in the Premiership. Spurs could have spent similar money on La Liga player but would be uncertain if he would be suited to english style.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    If he delivers on what he's shown for Charlton in the past few years he'll be just about worth the money. At his age with his current ability I'd have said 8-10m would have been his price range but with the Premiership market being ridiculously overpriced as it is that is probably the best deal Spurs could have got on him.

IMO they'd have got a better player if they looked abroad to be honest.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Heard today that Sol Cambell has asked for a transfer back to Spurs as their strikers are Bent and Keane.

" I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    The actual deal is £12.9m with add ons taking it to £16.5 I think it's safe to assume those add ons relate to Spurs making the transition from 5th to top 4 & the CL money will more than compensate.
    There's no doubt that the fact that he's English inflate the price but he's 23 and has an impressive scoring record in 2 years in the Premier League with a struggling team.
    I think the Englishness inflates the price for 2 reasons, Firstly you know there are no settling or adapting issues going on, in a case like this where Bent is moving from one London club to another, he may not even have to move home (although their training grounds especially are on completely oppisite sides of the city) the player has played in the same league and this takes a huge part of the risk out.
    Second thing is less tangible but I think it's important for clubs to keep a core of locally produced players in their side, Chelsea have done it, Utd have done it, Benitez admitted bringing in so many Spaniards was a mistake, ok so he recitfied it by buying Pennant, Bellamy & Crouch but you get the idea. Of the top clubs only Arsenal have consistently bought abroad and I think this is because Wengers attempts in the past to buy British have failed misserably.

Spurs have made a concerted effort to keep their side predominantly UK/Irish & young in what appears to be an attempt to build a strong base for the future, Bent at 23 falls perfectly into the type of player they want, Charlton would be well aware of this and look to hike the price especially in light of the new Sky/Setanta money coming this season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I'd like to see how Bent will do not being the focal point of the team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Spurs did pay over the odds. But if Bent scores 20+ goals this season and get into 4th spot, then the money was well spent.

It was a bit like Carrick last year for Man Utd. United spent atleast 6 million more than they should have. But he was enough to help Man Utd win the league, qualify for the Semi-Final of Champions league and final of FA cup.

Sometimes you need to buy over the odds to get the right player in. Their are better players about. But some times better players are not always better eg Veron is a better player than Carrick, but Carrick is better suited to Man Utd and English football. So better isn't better in this instance.(I know probably not the best terminology, but I hope you know what I mean)
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well spurs should have a good team next season robenson,chimbonda,bale,king,dawson,lennon,malbraq ,beabatov,defoe,keane,bent in 4 2 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    More likely to be
    ---------Robinson---------------
    Chimbonda-Dawson-King-Bale----
    Lennon-Jenas-Zokora-Malbranque
    -------Bent--Berbatov-----------
    With Kenae & Defoe used as rotation strikers
    I also have a sneaky feeling Bale will play left side of midfield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Heard today that Sol Cambell has asked for a transfer back to Spurs as their strikers are Bent and Keane.

POTM brilliant!! Fcukin brilliant
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    There's no guarantee Bent will even be a starter for them. Keane and Berbatov seem to have a very good understanding between them so they will take a bit of shifting. To be honest, while Bent is a decent player, Spurs have paid too much money on a striker when there are other areas of their team in much greater need of strengthening. From what I remember they struggled a little bit early on in the season to score goals but that few weeks aside, they've been fine in that regard. Their main problems were at the back where they conceded an awful lot of goals, nearly as many as teams towards the bottom of the league. So surely common sense would say that if you're scoring enough but conceding too many the area you focus on is the back four. I know that midfield players have to take some responsibility as well but from what I remember of Spurs last season they need one and possibly two centre halves. This is even taking into account the fact that Gardner should play a lot more next season.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    More likely to be
    ---------Robinson---------------
    Chimbonda-Dawson-King-Bale----
    Lennon-Jenas-Zokora-Malbranque
    -------Bent--Berbatov-----------
    With Kenae & Defoe used as rotation strikers
    I also have a sneaky feeling Bale will play left side of midfield
    Spurs need to sign a quality left sided midfielder now to complete the team.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Surely Keane or Defoe will get out of there!!
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    A central midfield of Jenas and Zakora will guarantee them a UEFA cup spot again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    To challenge for a top four spot, I reckon a quality left mid, another good central midfielder to challenge for a spot, and a strong central defender to play 40-50 games a season as cover for Ledley King
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast