Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abortion case.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts

Abortion case.

Has anybody see this story from the BBC about an Irish girl being denied permission to trave to Britain for an abortion?

Surely it is illegal to deny travel rights unless on suspicion of a crime of some sort, which abortion is not, in Britain.

Makes for pretty perverse reading, especially the psychiatrists view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    It is illegal. The AG says they have no right to detain her, the Gardaí say they can't, etc.

The HSE needs to stfu and let the poor girl go before they do any more damage to her or themselves.

As if they didn't have enough on their bloody plates...

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Gardai entitled to prevent travel unless there is a risk of suicide or a clear risk to the mothers health.

Agree its ridiculous.

Also bemused by the appointment of council to act for the foetus (which will only survive for a few days outside of the womb).

But then again, there was a referendum relatively recently on the abortion question.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I dont think anyone will actually stop her , she should have said nothing and just gone like the rest do .

While i dont agree with abortion i think in this case its acceptable . In most other cases it isnt .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Gardai entitled to prevent travel unless there is a risk of suicide or a clear risk to the mothers health.
    Was there not a referendum which allowed a right to travel and information about 10 years ago?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    I dont think anyone will actually stop her , she should have said nothing and just gone like the rest do .
    It would seem that she was planning to, and the HSE got wind of it. But that's hardly the way it should be anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    In other news, all travel links to Holland will now be cut in case Irish people smoke pot or use prostitutes there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    In other news, all travel links to Holland will now be cut in case Irish people smoke pot or use prostitutes there.
    Aw ffs!!! where do they expect me to score teenage amputee eskimo 'round here?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    So we onto Miss D case. How long before we reach the end of the alphabeth?

The entire system is a mess - its illegal here but ok to travel abroad to commit act that is illegal here.

Truelly an irish solution to an irish problem.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    So we onto Miss D case. How long before we reach the end of the alphabeth?

The entire system is a mess - its illegal here but ok to travel abroad to commit act that is illegal here.

Are you agreeing with her being detained or what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Was there not a referendum which allowed a right to travel and information about 10 years ago?
    Yeah, 13th and 14th amendments to the Constitution. I presume the problems in this case are because the girl is under 18?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Saved by Ryanair....

It's disgusting that the state, via the HSE has interferred in such a way. Fair play to Miss D for not taking the easy option of just saying she was suicidal, and questioning anyone's right to interfere with what she wants to do with with her own body least of all some (probably) busy body catholic fundamentalist in the HSE.

Hopefully the EU will eventually rule that the ban here, for what it's worth, is illegal anyway. Probably would've already if it wasn't for the time contraints involved in taking a case.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    The HSE in this case are acting in 'locus parentis' ie they recently obtained a District Court Child protection order... so in effect they because she is a minor have the same powers/resonsubilites that ordinary parents have over their kids. So the fact that citizens have the right to travel to other countries to avail of services not available here only applies to citizens 18 and over.

The issue for the HSE is that IMO whilst they fully intend to allow her to travel they feel it best to have the issues involved tested in the courts.

Also some reference was made to the Court appointing a legal team to represent the rights of the 'unborn' child. Again it is necessary to this as a result of the confusion that still pertains as to what exactly are the legal rights of an 'unbron child'.

The whole mess is a result of the fact that FF/PDs having being 10 years in power didn't have the courage to legislate for all aspects of the 'aborition' issue and instead have left us in a legal limbo as a result of stupid referendums which have been held to placate right wing nutters.

On numerous occasions over the last 10/15 years judges have again and again called on the legislatures to legislate for this.... of course they have failed to do so as they are cowards and thus kids/young adults like Miss D are left to suffer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    There is an absurdity to the whole thing alright which actually comes across better when read through foreign press sources.

Just google Anaecephalus "news".

I wouldn't google "images" if you're any way squeamish. I'd an older sister born in the late '60's with this condition and I don't mind admitting I found it quite upsetting when I realised what had actually happened to her. We were always just told she was stillborn and it wasn't until far more recently we got any details. My mam never even got to hold her. Whipped away as soon as she was born like she was some kind of 'devil-child'. Her name's 'Mary' ...given to her by the nurses.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    The HSE in this case are acting in 'locus parentis' ie they recently obtained a District Court Child protection order... so in effect they because she is a minor have the same powers/resonsubilites that ordinary parents have over their kids. So the fact that citizens have the right to travel to other countries to avail of services not available here only applies to citizens 18 and over.

The issue for the HSE is that IMO whilst they fully intend to allow her to travel they feel it best to have the issues involved tested in the courts.

Also some reference was made to the Court appointing a legal team to represent the rights of the 'unborn' child. Again it is necessary to this as a result of the confusion that still pertains as to what exactly are the legal rights of an 'unbron child'.

The whole mess is a result of the fact that FF/PDs having being 10 years in power didn't have the courage to legislate for all aspects of the 'aborition' issue and instead have left us in a legal limbo as a result of stupid referendums which have been held to placate right wing nutters.

On numerous occasions over the last 10/15 years judges have again and again called on the legislatures to legislate for this.... of course they have failed to do so as they are cowards and thus kids/young adults like Miss D are left to suffer.
    Agree that the situation is ridiculous and forcing the HSE to bring cases to Court to get guidance on how to proceed is a farce.
    As a matter of interest CJ, within what scope does the Constitution, as amended, allow the Government to legislate? How far can they realistically go without becoming unconstitutional?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Yeah, 13th and 14th amendments to the Constitution. I presume the problems in this case are because the girl is under 18?
    From memory the referendum was in 1992(ish) and was raised because a 14 year old had been raped, so surely the fact that she is under 18 would have been covered in the subsequent amendments?
    Preventing people the freedom to travel is a thin line away from a fascist state.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    As a matter of interest CJ, within what scope does the Constitution, as amended, allow the Government to legislate? How far can they realistically go without becoming unconstitutional?[/QUOTE]

The Govt can't legislate via the Constitution per se... they can however hold a referendum to (1) Delete an article or part of same, (2) add to an article and/or change one.

However the problem arises from the fact that they continue to in practice attempt to legislate via the Constitution but such changes more often than not have ended up having to be interputed by the Supreme Court who have a habit of sometimes making an interputation that causes more 'issues'.

Thus it makes sense to legislate on this issue rather than coming up with rigid ammendments to the Constitution and the courts have as I mentioned on a number of occasions stated that is the way to deal with this... however at the risk of repeating my self FF/PDs have shyed away from doing that... its called cuteness by some but IMO it's plain and simple cowardice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If the reason she's having an abortion is that the child is going to die... and the irish legal system insists that this child has rights the same as any of us, it would open a massive can of worms were she allowed to "terminate" (don't know why the media has stopped saying abort, both words mean the same thing) on that basis. You could have a euthanasia case call the "Miss D" case as precedent.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    There is an absurdity to the whole thing alright which actually comes across better when read through foreign press sources.
    Here's the BBC's take on it.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6618911.stm

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    If the reason she's having an abortion is that the child is going to die... and the irish legal system insists that this child has rights the same as any of us, it would open a massive can of worms were she allowed to "terminate" (don't know why the media has stopped saying abort, both words mean the same thing) on that basis. You could have a euthanasia case call the "Miss D" case as precedent.
    Yea she doesnt want to have to go through carryin gthe baby for 9 months and giving birth for he/she to die . they give the baby a life expectancy of 1 to 2 days .

Normally i am against abortion and i dont think this "its a womans body she cant be told what to do" holds any water . But in a few cases its for the best .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast