Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1520

Thread: Damien Duff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Need some new blood. Who else will follow DD into the sunset?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    He is one I was hoping would stay. Then again maybe the lads most likely to retire would like to play bit parts, help a new team emerge but if they remain available Trap will change nothing, or not enough.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    It's a nice thought if he could move into the middle, but it's not realistic is it?
    Belgium had an old player (Van something) who they recalled to their team for their 1980 Euro campaign to play at CM, I think he had played out wide previous.

The old days were better, more respect for your elders.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Looking at some of our tournament statistics its very revealing as to just how important Duff is for us (http://greenscene.me/2012/06/ireland...12-statistics/)

- He's one of only 4 starting players with a passing % of greater than 80.
    - He presents himself as a receiver better than anyone, being our top pass target.
    - He has the joint highest successful passes in the final 3rd. Almost double as many as McGeady.
    - He delivered more successful crosses then the rest of our team put together.
    - He was in our top 5 for interceptions made, bizarrely ahead of both fullbacks.
    - He was our most fouled player, winning 9 free kicks. 2 more then anyone else.

I don't even want to imagine what this team would be like without him.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    You won't have to imagine for much longer I'm afraid... Huge loss.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Duff: "I can't walk away."

Not sure if he is injured again or plans to stay on rather than retire as I don't have page 64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Jesus wept!

Why don't you open up a 'Page 64 & - does anybody have them?' thread.
    Last edited by The Fly; 25/06/2012 at 2:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    But its not a topic about his inability to walk away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Jesus wept!

Why don't you open up a 'Page 64 & - does anybody have them?' thread.
    Because if I bury it in a tread nobody will ever see it.

It means anyone coming to the forum has to open even play thread and every other mass thread
    and read it backwards to find out what is going on.

Anyhow page 64 cover 2 separate topics.

You will notice that even newspapers do not intermingle topics like that because it is ludicrous idea, why people fail to see this never creases to amaze me, seems like a case fo mass brainwashing.
    if you don't believe me ask any new paper proprietor, phone up Rupert Murdoch and ask he why he does do that in his newspapers. I expect his answers would be along the lines of:

"Because I don't want to got bankrupt"

or

"Because I am not $%*!ing mental"

Neither am I.

Jesus would be weeping if the four Gospels were all mangled into to one, believe me!!
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 25/06/2012 at 2:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Or your posting in the Duff topic will bump it to the very top of the list. If anyone cares about Damien's walking habits they can find it there quite easily there after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Because if I bury it in a tread nobody will ever see it.

It means anyone coming to the forum has to open even play thread and every other mass thread
    and read it backwards to find out what is going on.
    If you post it in the Damian Duff thread then anyone who is interested can view it, comment on it, or discuss it, if they so wish.

The arrows before each thread title allow the user to go directly to the first new post made subsequent to their previous viewing.

To aid you, cast your eyes to the white arrows contained in the blue box after your username name in the quotation box above. They are pointing Eastwards. Each thread has a similar symbol before the thread title. Only this time the arrows point Southwards and are displayed on a blue disc as opposed to a blue box. Click on that and you will arrive at the first new post in each thread. If no such symbol appears before the thread title, then there are no new posts for you to read.

----------------

If this post is successful it's bound to be worth a nomination for POTM!?
    Last edited by The Fly; 25/06/2012 at 3:41 AM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The problem is nobody know whether it is something new they might be interested in or some
    fairly meaningless post at the end of and old topic they are no longer interested in.
    It just does not work very well.
    Any how I did that on the Darren Gibson thread and I starts me off with the page 65 story
    but with a lot more info. ( had a bit of deja vu)

Ideally that would have all been in one thread (perhaps) as it relates to specific story affecting several players and the team. Actually the bit about Duff which I started a thread on, is actually a separate story, so I think I am justified in starting a tread on that.

I actually had not used the go to last post button before because I never knew it was there but that does not really change my views, I still do not know if I am reading an old story I am no longer interested in or a new one I would be very interested in.

Anyway a bit of an aside form that. This is what was posted in the Gibson thread which was very interesting to me.

by Paul Rowan

.....Last week we felt that Trapattoni deserved the benefit of the doubt, but since then the reservations have grown stronger. Neither Ireland's fans, nor players who broke ranks during that time, only the manager sought to wash his hands of responsibility for Ireland matching the worst ever showing of any team at the Euros and highlighted further failures of the players instead.

Having said that the players were playing with 'fear' and the 'jersey was too heavy' he then identified a lack of leadership and after the Italy game was saying; "if I tell the truth it would seem that I want to humiliate people". Not a single Irish player managed to raise his game for the Euros and some of them underperformed, which was the most disappointing aspect for those who didn't lose sight of the fact that Ireland were in an extremely tough group and were likely to lose all three matches.

Trapattoni also had an extremely poor tournament and his efforts to preserve his own reputation at the expense of others has lowered him in the eyes of the players. Richard Dunne is believed to have been unhappy with the way the campaign was run and had exchanges after the Italy game with Trapattoni. Senior players advised him to go holiday with his family rather than make any rash decisions about his Ireland future. There was unhappiness about the hotel in the middle of the resort town of Sopot - revelling Irish fans actually kept some of the players awake the night before the Spain game - but the players didn't want to be seen to be whingeing. However, what made them most unhappy was the long camp and the fact that they considered themselves overworked after a long season.

Darron Gibson, form instance, reported to Dublin two days after he played the last Premier League game of the season for Everton on May 13. It's belived he asked Trapattoni if he could report the following Sunday along with the rest of the Premier League players - for one thing he had been invited along with Robbie Keane and others to Glenn Whelan's wedding on the Saturday - but was told in no uncertain terms to show up as instructed. Gibson didn't see a moment of action in the Euros and asked the manager the night of the Spain game if he had a problem with him.

The Italy game in Poznan has thrown up a new problem which will focus plenty of attention on Gibson. Some commentators along with Trapattoni pointed up an improvement in the performance level, but whatever it was escaped this particular observer. The mistakes at the back have been a standout feature, but even more glaring has been Ireland's lack of any goalscoring threat in all three games.

UEFA statistics credit Ireland with two shots on target against Italy, but it's difficult to remember either and Keith Andrew's petulant blasting of the ball into the crowd after he had been dismissed was one of the times Ireland got closest to scoring. He is automatically banned for Ireland's opening World Cup qualifying game against Kazakhstan in September but UEFA will probably be minded to put a few more on top of that after reading the referee's report. Gibson will be needed more than ever, but is believed to be considering his future under Trapattoni. The player himself is maintaining an unhappy silence. "I have nothing to say about that," he remarked when asked about his international future.

Important people continue to back Trapattoni in his dealings with Gibson and everybody else. Denis O'Brien, who pays half Trapattoni's wages, says he is delighted with his investment, scotching any thoughts that he might consider a different manager. The FAI too won't get rid of Trapattoni, unless the crowd in Dublin turns on the manager a it did in the case of Mick McCarthy and Steve Staunton. In that case, he would probably go quite quickly, so a good start to the qualifying campaign is vital if Trapattoni is to stay on board.
    I always though there was some problems in the camp for some reasons, the players did not seem happy at all and I believe it affected their play.

The thing about Darren Gibson missing Glenn Whelan wedding I find disturbing.
    I expect it upset Whelan as well as Gibson, and that it affected his play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Actually as you posted that yourself, I am sure you probably don't want to see it again
    (didn't notice at the time).

Anyhow you have a story which affects several players, the team the manager and the tournament
    at the same time, and it kind of proves my point as it fits into numerous treads.
    Which is why I believe the threads should be based on 'the story', because that is essentially what
    people are interest in, and it is much easier to read if separate story are kept separate, even if they are about
    the same player, manager, tournament or whatever.

Anyhow thanks for posting that article, it is probably the big story of the tournament.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 25/06/2012 at 3:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    I still do not know if I am reading an old story I am no longer interested in or a new one I would be very interested in.
    Well click it and find out! This is the tried and trusted method employed by the vast majority of users.

Anyway a bit of an aside form that. This is what was posted in the Gibson thread which was very interesting to me.

The thing about Darren Gibson missing Glenn Whelan wedding I find disturbing.
    I expect it upset Whelan as well as Gibson, and that it affected his play.
    The article doesn't state that he missed the wedding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    So you started a thread about a headline you saw and provided no further information relating to the article the headline is referring to and no insight whatsoever related to the player who this thread is supposedly about?

You, sir, are a [insert 4 stars].

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    One interesting point to take from all this, and something that i dont think has been pointed out before, but the leetle details and all that are a load of crap. The players looked fatigued in all 3 games, and lacked any spark, they were jaded, and all this perperation was a load of crap. An awful lot of what people respected Trap for and said he was getting right, backfired enormously in this campaign. I hope he can get it right quickly for the start of the qualifiers.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Not sure if he is injured again
    In fairness, that was funny.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I genuinely have no idea where to look for what stories in the last few days.

This forum has become a mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    With Stutts on this. TC its becoming a joke how at this stage.
    Only you out of all the regular users on this forum seem to have difficulty with the processes involved.
    The best thing about this forum is the continuity afforded by the lack of constant be threads.
    Now give up.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    can the mods remove the "create new post" option for users?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast