Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ideas for Legitimate and Peaceful Protest Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

The Ideas for Legitimate and Peaceful Protest Thread

First off - it's not my intention to take the steam out of the T-shirt protest thread. If a moderator feels a need to merge then how bad. It's just that thread is more specific than this one ...though there are some wonderful ideas coming through there ...the plane towing a "Delaney Out, Staunton Out" banner would be fantastic.

So would the balloons ...but how do you get them into the ground to release them?

Whatever is done it occurs to me that it should be good humoured, visually compelling and virtually impossible for a camera to pan away from.

It also occurs to me that you could get every soul on the island to sign a petition and the FAI would ignore it. They simply don't respond to that kind of ...um ...petitioning.

MY IDEA

What I think the FAI will respond to is their precious sponsors being embarrassed to be associated with them. Better again if it happens in the 1st game at Croker with the added attention that brings.

I believe something that targets the jerseys we the supporters wear might be worthwhile. I'm thinking along the lines of a sticker that covers the eircom logo -either obliterating it or turning it into something else. "Stan Out" for example.... I'm in two minds whether the orange blob should be left exactly as it is, obliterated or parodied.

If I can find the font Eircom use it'd be pretty easy to put a simple enough printout together that fits on an A4 sticky-back page. Post it up somewhere and it can be downloaded and printed off by the end-user. Securely affix to jersey once safely inside the ground and Roberts mamas bro. It would need mass participation to work but is relatively easy to participate in.

That's my tuppence ...lets' have yours.
    Last edited by Lionel Ritchie; 12/02/2007 at 3:18 PM.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Protest? Yeah dont go to home games. Havent been since 95 and wont be back.

But if you do go t shirts with Delaney Out for ten different individuals with the ten different letters would get attention.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    But if you do go t shirts with Delaney Out for ten different individuals with the ten different letters would get attention.

KOH
    It surely would -BUT how many of us travel to the match in groups of 10 plus?

Not pooh-poohing now ...just examining the technical logistics.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    It surely would -BUT how many of us travel to the match in groups of 10 plus?

Not pooh-poohing now ...just examining the technical logistics.
    In Limerick all your pals are probably locked up

Doesnt necessarily have to be ten people in consecutive seats. Any ten will do but get them up to stand up together for the photographers.

KOH

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    First off - it's not my intention to take the steam out of the T-shirt protest thread. If a moderator feels a need to merge then how bad. It's just that thread is more specific than this one ...though there are some wonderful ideas coming through there ...the plane towing a "Delaney Out, Staunton Out" banner would be fantastic.

So would the balloons ...but how do you get them into the ground to release them?

Whatever is done it occurs to me that it should be good humoured, visually compelling and virtually impossible for a camera to pan away from.

It also occurs to me that you could get every soul on the island to sign a petition and the FAI would ignore it. They simply don't respond to that kind of ...um ...petitioning.

MY IDEA

What I think the FAI will respond to is their precious sponsors being embarrassed to be associated with them. Better again if it happens in the 1st game at Croker with the added attention that brings.

I believe something that targets the jerseys we the supporters wear might be worthwhile. I'm thinking along the lines of a sticker that covers the eircom logo -either obliterating it or turning it into something else. "Stan Out" for example.... I'm in two minds whether the orange blob should be left exactly as it is, obliterated or parodied.

If I can find the font Eircom use it'd be pretty easy to put a simple enough printout together that fits on an A4 sticky-back page. Post it up somewhere and it can be downloaded and printed off by the end-user. Securely affix to jersey once safely inside the ground and Roberts mamas bro. It would need mass participation to work but is relatively easy to participate in.

That's my tuppence ...lets' have yours.
    Thats a good idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cover the eircom logo on your shirt with a stick-on Perlico, BT, Chorus, Swiftcall , Imagine, Magnet, or frankly, anyone bar Eircom logo & jump in front of a Star photographer. (Although to guarantee exposure in the Star, It would help if you got Glenda Gilson to stand beside you. You dont need a reason, it just seems to work)

Or

Email eircom customer service, and tell them you're planning to switch providers because of their willingness to associate with a substandard Partner with a terrible customer service record, a history of overcharging, no regard for customer satisfaction and a PR team seemingly recruited exclusively from St Dympna's home for the violently mad.

Because of all this, you're afraid that this trait would be carried on by a like-minded sponsor, which could lead to situations like these :

Q: "Hello, is that eircom? I ve been trying to get through to My brother in Austria, but I keep getting cut off. I had to call him three seperate times to give him information. It should have only been one call for the three things, but it ended up being one call for each piece of information. This is really bad service."

A:"He's got the three points. Thats all that matters."

Q: Hello, is that Eircom? I've requested a new handset, and the wrong one has arrived. Now under normal circumstances, this flashy untried model that you've sent out would be a perfectly acceptable handset, but I need it for my gran, so it has to be simple, and functional, and play a much needed holding role in my elderly gran's social life. Can I get the more suitable one installed?

A: "Here at Eircom, we're lookin to de future. The model you requested for your gran wont be in use by the time the next telecommunication congress comes around, so it's better for us all if your gran bites de bullet and gets to grips with the flashy new untried pigsmickey5000 she's been sent. Cos we're lookin to de future."

Q: "hello, is that Eircom? I'm mentally unbalanced, and saw the logic behind the new pigsmickey5000 handset I saw at a confrence in Cyprus. I'll be in Dublin soon, and am wondering if this will be available there for the rest of the 2008 telecommunications congress season?"

A: "No. We arent lookin to de future anymore because we didnt like the look of it at all at all at all.
    We've made a tactical decision, all by ourselves, and we're goin back to the old lumpy handsets. They may not work at 100% for the first while, but people dont roar at us as much when we send out these ones.
    One things for sure though, when you ring 999 on these and cant get through, it wont be our fault. No way Jose. Rest assured lads, we'll still be in our jobs long after everyone dies waitin to get through to an ambulance."
    "

Q: Hello, is that Eircom? I'm fed up with all this oul shyte, and I'd like to speak to someone in charge. Ideally, I'd like to speak to the Chief Exec, and inform him i'll be petitioning for him to resign. Could you put me through please?"

A: No. What we WILL do is put you through to the janitor. For around 75 minutes. To be honest, he doesnt really know whats goin on right now, but jaysus he was a great man altogether years ago when the P&T vans used to be little orange Renault 4's and Morris Minor vans. Sure what do you want to be hurtin your head arguing for when you can have a nice chat with a fellah just like your granda, eh? "

...although in fairness, Eircom's customer service is probably pretty close to that standard at the moment anyway, maybe thats why they chose the FAI......So I'm with the Plane idea.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've heard that Eircom are close to pulling their sponsorship (Not sure if this is both EL and the National side) - hardly surprising given that they have a crap brand in need of some positive associations which theyre not really getting from Irish soccer. Such a protest could be the straw to break the camels back and if you want rid of delaney hitting revenue is the key (Which is why none of us should be going to croker in the first place but anyway)
    With a Smith & Wesson 38,
    John Lennon's life was no longer a debate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why don`t people just wear their jerseys inside out? I would if the f**ckers allocated me tickets for the game
    Pull my finger!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatPat View Post
    I've heard that Eircom are close to pulling their sponsorship (Not sure if this is both EL and the National side) - hardly surprising given that they have a crap brand in need of some positive associations which theyre not really getting from Irish soccer. Such a protest could be the straw to break the camels back and if you want rid of delaney hitting revenue is the key (Which is why none of us should be going to croker in the first place but anyway)
    afaik the contract with Eircom is up next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

first attempt

first crack at it but you get the idea

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts

How about changing the orange "swish" into an orange raised index finger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    instead of Eircom you could but Eirheads?lol

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good stuff. fair play..looks well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    How about changing the orange "swish" into an orange raised index finger.
    instead of Eircom you could but Eirheads
    Goldust lads. Keep 'em coming.

The font itself is not available commercially as it was designed for them (Eircom) privately. This creates a considerable, though I'm hoping not insurmountable, problem for reproducing it in a size roughly big enough to fill an A4 page on a printer.

I haven't a clue how to actually "create a font" which would make the process easier and cleaner but I'll look into it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    a simple but effective protest would be " a turn your backs on the fai/ team protest" i.e. when the team comes onto the pitch turn your backs on them. Publicising this would be the only problem but that could be overcome.

A short and simple protest that would get the message across on how the fans are feeling.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    What people have to realise is that whatever we decide on this site to do, even if we got every single person who is registered on foot.ie to turn their backs on the team, or change the eircom logo, or wear t-shirts, or whatever, it's still only going to be in the vast minority of the crowd at Croke Park. So how do we get the wider football following population of Ireland aware of any protest in order for it to be effective?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    exactly - would have been a lot easier at landsdowne but on the other hand the majority of the the crowd will be ****ed off - getting the publicity on whatever is agreed will be the problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    a simple but effective protest would be " a turn your backs on the fai/ team protest" i.e. when the team comes onto the pitch turn your backs on them. Publicising this would be the only problem but that could be overcome.

A short and simple protest that would get the message across on how the fans are feeling.
    Truthfully I'm a little uncomfortable with that as it targets, or will be percieved to target, the team/players on the pitch rather than the FAI. That might well be spun back against the protest/protesters -particularly in the not at all unlikely scenario that things go tits up against Wales on the pitch.

I can picture Stan/Delaney/apologist in their post match interview ..." I think we did alright keeping it to 1-3 considering what we'd to put up with from our own supporters" -right or wrong they'd get a degree of sympathy for it.

I'm far happier to shout my head off and get behind the team and send a signal to the FAI and Delaney that the supporters are deeply unhappy with them and the managment.

The team are pawns in this, gullable pawns a few of them -and with misplaced loyalties to boot -but pawns no less.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    so what it upsets the spoilt basturds - they're going nowhere under the present regime and a lot of the players dont give two fooks about results or performances

let em have it - and if it means staunton and delaney are gone at least we have some hope of turning this mess around

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    so what it upsets the spoilt basturds - they're going nowhere under the present regime and a lot of the players dont give two fooks about results or performances

let em have it - and if it means staunton and delaney are gone at least we have some hope of turning this mess around
    But that's just it -this course of action is unlikely to bring about the result that the vast majority of the support (so far as I can gauge) want -the immediate removal of Stan and better again if Delaney goes with him. In fact it could go some distance the other way by garnering support for a pair of gombeens that we all know don't deserve to be supported.

I've no doubt some of the players are spoilt and strongly suspect that a couple of more (Robbie I'm looking in your direction) are rank fcuking idiots -but they are victims in this tawdry affair too as they are being grossly mismanaged and done a diservice by our corrupt FA.

Get behind the team, get on top of the FAI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast