Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Alternative Limerick FC

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alternative Limerick FC

Limerick FC is in a corner now and it is not looking good. From what I’m reading of events however there could be an option open to the Supporters Club to come out of this on top. I don’t want to sound like I’m trying to undermine what you’re doing Joe Soap, fair play to you for what you’ve done so far, bringing the supporters together is the most important thing at this stage. Maybe I’m completely wrong here but the statement from the FAI saying that other interested parties in the area should apply for a licence in order to keep senior football in Limerick gives the Supporters Club a blank page to start from. It removes the need for the SC to deal with the representatives of the current set-up.

I am certain that there are many supporters in Limerick that would initially contribute a small amount in order to give the club a fresh start, however (personally speaking here) I would prefer to do it in circumstances where the supporters have assumed full control of affairs. I think it’s a bit rich that the club’s owners are now turning to the supporters given their attitude towards the SC in the past but maybe they have cottoned onto this as well. However as Joe Soap mentioned in another thread it’s best at this stage to let the past be the past and try to move on from here. Maybe just maybe the FAI have opened the door for the SC to make a new start. Maybe key individuals who were unwilling to deal with the club under the present ownership would be a lot more favorable towards a new set-up under the SC umbrella. I’m also sure that other clubs that have had similar difficulties could lend us advice on the practicalities involved.
    Last edited by A face; 17/12/2006 at 11:22 PM.
    Business as usual

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think you're spot on here. Drews chairmanship of the club has put us in this situation after just two years in charge. We have to ask ourselves whether we want to try and save Limerick FC or Danny Drew's ownership of Limerick FC. Personally I think its a bit rich for Drew to blame everyone else but himself for what has happened to our club, to demand that the people of Limerick not let Limerick FC die when it is he who has put us to the brink of survival. To appeal the refusal of the Licence without even making any attempt to solve the issues that brought about that refusal in the first place simply smacks of pigheaded arogance. If the FAI is serious about transforming the league then its only right we were refused considering the absolute shambles our club finds itself in. Now however the supporters must work for an alternative that is lasting and progressive. Time is obviously not a friend to us in this situation, but we do not need Drew remaining in control only to have us here once again down the road.
    Limerick 3:7
    "Marvel not that I said unto thee, ye must be born again"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    a club set up under a sc banner wouldnt work and woudnt be accepted by the league.also when i saw this alternative Limerick FC i thought it was a drag comptition run by some dodgy limerick gay business people.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Clubs have until the 2nd January to apply for a place.

What are the chances of a club being formed before then, to apply?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    a club set up under a sc banner wouldnt work and woudnt be accepted by the league.also when i saw this alternative Limerick FC i thought it was a drag comptition run by some dodgy limerick gay business people.

Shamrock rovers are accepted. They even got into the premier division both on the field and off the field.

I think the issue may be existing debts. Would a new entity have to assume them? Apparently that is the case for any provincial town/city under club licencing.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From a brief flick through the manual yesterday, that seems to be the case. But I'm not sure how that would work out in practice. I'd say that condition is just there to protect the FAI: they don't want to be financially responsible (which legally they probably wouldn't be), but more importantly, they don't want clubs running up loads of bad debts because the government would then step in with new legislation or stricter enforcement of current business law to try to prevent this. The FAI would like to keep what autonomy it has.

Getting back to the real issue, I don't think small debts (in general business terms) or small outstanding fines would pose a barrier to getting a license. As long as there was a realistic plan to deal with the situation, I think the FAI would be supportive.

I reckon the FAI might have concerns that if their league wasn't properly representative of the country as a whole that they would come under pressure from UEFA. Hence the openness of their notice this week seeking expressions of interest. They're only looking for the minimum of detail by the 2 Jan deadline (though I'm sure they'd expect that to be fleshed out very quickly thereafter).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gombean View Post

I reckon the FAI might have concerns that if their league wasn't properly representative of the country as a whole that they would come under pressure from UEFA.
    I don't think I've ever seen any noises from UEFA remotely along those lines. Are you referring to geographical representation?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Obviously, it would be well down the list of priorities.
    But these "development" issues are important for FAI and UEFA, especially when there is a downward slide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gombean View Post
    From a brief flick through the manual yesterday, that seems to be the case. But I'm not sure how that would work out in practice. I'd say that condition is just there to protect the FAI: they don't want to be financially responsible (which legally they probably wouldn't be), but more importantly, they don't want clubs running up loads of bad debts because the government would then step in with new legislation or stricter enforcement of current business law to try to prevent this. The FAI would like to keep what autonomy it has.

Getting back to the real issue, I don't think small debts (in general business terms) or small outstanding fines would pose a barrier to getting a license. As long as there was a realistic plan to deal with the situation, I think the FAI would be supportive.

I reckon the FAI might have concerns that if their league wasn't properly representative of the country as a whole that they would come under pressure from UEFA. Hence the openness of their notice this week seeking expressions of interest. They're only looking for the minimum of detail by the 2 Jan deadline (though I'm sure they'd expect that to be fleshed out very quickly thereafter).
    I actually think it is totally unfair as no new club in Dublin will have to accept Dublin City's debts.

I don't think the level of debt is known (by anybody ) so a consortium would be foolish if they tried to just take over without knowing the liabilities.

A new consortium with a clean slate is a different story.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These are issues that could be teased out after the 2 Jan deadline.

I REALLY DO THINK that there should be an "expression of interest" submitted by supporters on 2 Jan. Feedback from the FAI after that will determine how viable the idea is in real terms.

To make a realistic submission we just need to know roughly how much it would cost to set up and run the club for a year, and formulate plans for fundraising and for getting the maximum number of people involved. Anything else at this stage would be a bonus.
    Last edited by gombean; 21/12/2006 at 11:35 PM.