Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shels financial difficulties

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Shels financial difficulties

According to the back page of todays star and inside, senior Shels players and the management from Tolka are meeting tomorrow to discuss their futures. The players want assuarances on wages etc going forward.

I guess all the rumours can come to an end now soon enough, a Shels exodus will change the picture in the league, they all stay together and well we have to find players elsewhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No doubt Ollie will come up with an unorthodox payment scheme to keep the squad together for another year...

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/...resized200.jpg
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chippie0001 View Post
    they all stay together and well we have to find players elsewhere
    Theres always Cork I suppose.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Theres always Cork I suppose.
    After the last batch? I don't think so, they'll be more than likely sending them back barely used.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    No doubt Ollie will come up with an unorthodox payment scheme to keep the squad together for another year...

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/...resized200.jpg
    Am I right in thinking that the presentations for next years licensing have already been made and that the licensing body will be making the decisions around about Christmas/New Year?

Surely Shels will be struggling on the financial section if wages were not being paid as recent as a couple of weeks ago?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the presentations for next years licensing have already been made and that the licensing body will be making the decisions around about Christmas/New Year?

Surely Shels will be struggling on the financial section if wages were not being paid as recent as a couple of weeks ago?

No ground (or even substantial plans for one) in the long-term either.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Footballers aren't Accountants. It would be easy enough to just say to them 'Look - this year we struggled without Champions League or Eircom Title money, but next year will be all different. Course you'll be paid - no problems' .

They're unlikely to have the knowledge to raise pertinent questions to challenge that or probe to much depth. And all Ollie has to do is persuade them he can deliver - once he keeps them there, he can worry about whether or not he can actually deliver aferwards.

Fenlon's attitude will be key. If he stays I reckon a lot of players will too. If he goes, it could all start to unrvel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Footballers aren't Accountants. It would be easy enough to just say to them 'Look - this year we struggled without Champions League or Eircom Title money, but next year will be all different. Course you'll be paid - no problems' .

They're unlikely to have the knowledge to raise pertinent questions to challenge that or probe to much depth. And all Ollie has to do is persuade them he can deliver - once he keeps them there, he can worry about whether or not he can actually deliver aferwards.

Fenlon's attitude will be key. If he stays I reckon a lot of players will too. If he goes, it could all start to unrvel.
    Steve, the players and Fenlon are immaterial in many ways.

Surely the major point here is that if he is being forced to dangle the carrot a few feet in front of their noses, yet again, Shels are in no position to convince or prove they will be financial solvent for all of the next season, which is the core aim of the financial section of the license.

After the Dublin City fiasco the Licensing body are duty bound to conduct a more thorough review and challenge of the financial submissions, to ensure that they don't make the same mistake of granting a license to a club thats fails to see the season out.

Whilst clearly only Ollie knows whats really going on, it doesn't look good for Shels at the minute based on what little info is available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Steve, the players and Fenlon are immaterial in many ways.

Surely the major point here is that if he is being forced to dangle the carrot a few feet in front of their noses, yet again, Shels are in no position to convince or prove they will be financial solvent for all of the next season, which is the core aim of the financial section of the license.

After the Dublin City fiasco the Licensing body are duty bound to conduct a more thorough review and challenge of the financial submissions, to ensure that they don't make the same mistake of granting a license to a club thats fails to see the season out.

Whilst clearly only Ollie knows whats really going on, it doesn't look good for Shels at the minute based on what little info is available.
    Very true.

I can't see any of the main clubs getting refused a license through the process though.

Hopefully the Licensing Committee will probe more deeply on Shels this year, but I suspect that they wouldn't want to find any bad news by doing so - preferring instead not to probe, and then plead ignorance instead should something go wrong. They've already gotten off scott-free re the Dublin City demise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Very true.

I can't see any of the main clubs getting refused a license through the process though.

Hopefully the Licensing Committee will probe more deeply on Shels this year, but I suspect that they wouldn't want to find any bad news by doing so - preferring instead not to probe, and then plead ignorance instead should something go wrong. They've already gotten off scott-free re the Dublin City demise.
    Agree to a point, but remember some of the members are independent experts who have a reputation to worry about.

Ollies vindictive pursuit of some other clubs may come back to haunt him as I could see any license award being challenged in the courts unless Shels financial situation has visibly improved by the beginning of next season.

I also remain bemused as to why the PFAI haven't pursued Shels as vigorously through the press as they did Rovers, Harps, Dundalk and other clubs that have had financial issues.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I also remain bemused as to why the PFAI haven't pursued Shels as vigorously through the press as they did Rovers, Harps, Dundalk and other clubs that have had financial issues.
    I've wondered about that myself- especially given that Shelbournes players don't have other jobs and are therefore hit harder by any delay in paying wages that part time players.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Delaney has already said that the top two tiers of the new league will be made up of the current teams in the eL. That means all teams (plus one new one, in Dublins place) will have a slot. The requirements to get a license are strict, but they aren't actually used strictly. And the Dublin affair will change nothing. A

Lets face it, if every aspect of the licensing requirements were imposed to the letter not many clubs would be getting a D1 License, never mind a premier one. So why does everybody implie that Shels shouldn't get a license when the chances are - if the rules were totally followed - their clubs would also fail miserably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    why does everybody implie that Shels shouldn't get a license when the chances are - if the rules were totally followed - their clubs would also fail miserably.
    Nonsense. Licensing isn't some kind of wishy washy aspirational 5 year plan. FFS its already been watered down once since the first season to be more achieveable in respect of the infrastructure section, which was probably the toughest to achieve.

The Licensing body are duty bound to assess applications against the current manual and identify where clubs don't meet the standard. The legal and financial criteria have been enforced in the past (ask Longford) and it would appear that Shels may have a particular problem here for next season, even compared with other clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    You'd have thought that Rovers' problems the previous year would have had a similar effect too, I won't hold my breath.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Nonsense. Licensing isn't some kind of wishy washy aspirational 5 year plan. FFS its already been watered down once since the first season to be more achieveable in respect of the infrastructure section, which was probably the toughest to achieve.

The Licensing body are duty bound to assess applications against the current manual and identify where clubs don't meet the standard. The legal and financial criteria have been enforced in the past (ask Longford) and it would appear that Shels may have a particular problem here for next season, even compared with other clubs.
    So you that Derry have passed all criteria with flying colours since the scheme was introduced?

Download the thing, read through it, and tick the boxes of all the set criteria and you'll see what I mean.

The Licensing body should do it's job properly. But then again if it did, we wouldn't actually have a league.

As for Longford, was that not down to an admin error? Sending something to the wrong address or something like that. Or maybe it was because the league were afraid they would represent us in Europe again in the future?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    So you that Derry have passed all criteria with flying colours since the scheme was introduced?
    No idea historically whether they have, but for the coming season I would hope that they do.
    Download the thing, read through it, and tick the boxes of all the set criteria and you'll see what I mean.
    Have done, a few times. Its not rocket science.
    The Licensing body should do it's job properly. But then again if it did, we wouldn't actually have a league.
    Disagree. We'd have a smaller, better run league. Don't drag everyone down to Shels level.
    As for Longford, was that not down to an admin error? Sending something to the wrong address or something like that. Or maybe it was because the league were afraid they would represent us in Europe again in the future?
    No it may have been portrayed as an admin issue by the club, but it was a legal/financial issue IIRC. Sligo filling the application in in red pen was an "admin error" (not to mention a general reflection on how serious the process was being taken).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    No ground (or even substantial plans for one) in the long-term either.
    They have substantial plans alright. I've seen them. However, they can't get their hands on the substantial money. They can still show the plans to the FAI though. Remember the FAI showing EUFA a nice green field?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Well we were the first, and at the time only, club to get awarded an A license, and I've heard nothing to the contrary since, so I guess the answer to your question is 'yes'.

City spent a lot of time and money at the introduction of licensing to make sure we met the criteria. We were, in fact, the only club to take it completely seriously. It turned out that no-one else had bothered their arse to do likewise, and so effectively we had compromised our ability to spend income on our on-pitch performances for that season for absolutely nothing.

And what was the FAI's response ? Shift the boundaries to magically have everyone meet the appropriate license criteria. All that effort and money spent in Derry for feck all..... Makes you wonder if it's ever worth doing anythigng the FAI says.

Red&White
    In a word....yes.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It turned out that no-one else had bothered their arse to do likewise, and so effectively we had compromised our ability to spend income on our on-pitch performances for that season for absolutely nothing.

And what was the FAI's response ? Shift the boundaries to magically have everyone meet the appropriate license criteria. All that effort and money spent in Derry for feck all
    That sums up what is wrong with league. Even clubs that are doing it right have fans who'd prefer to have spent on players instead of doing things right.

btw A sure you got it first time, and there wasn't some issue over tax that youse threatened to go to court about? And then when he did get youse threatened to go to court about the other clubs?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast