Thread: Robbie Keane

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...arts-with-bang

Hammered 7-0 by Utd in pre season tour and Galaxy well into their season.
    So wouldnt get carried away with how good Robbie is, he would be still playing in England if he was any good.
    Congrats - you have won this months "Idiotic Comment of the Month" award
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ah im sure they would want to perform against the best team in the world.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    So much for robbies quotes a few days ago about giving man u a big challenge. Im actually kind of surprised they dumped 7 on them. Not very nice.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    From Galaxy to small constellation.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    So much for robbies quotes a few days ago about giving man u a big challenge. I'm actually kind of surprised they dumped 7 on them. Not very nice.
    As little as I think of MLS clubs, the score can't be seen as a fair indicator of LA's overall quality. Clearly not up for it. United fresher and with plenty of players trying desperately to convince Van Gaal to keep them on, like Ashley Young.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex View Post
    www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/24/manchester-united-hammer-la-galaxy-as-van-gaals-reign-starts-with-bang

Hammered 7-0 by Utd in pre season tour and Galaxy well into their season.
    So wouldnt get carried away with how good Robbie is, he would be still playing in England if he was any good.
    This is a obvious troll comment and I shouldn't rise to the bait, but nobody ever suggested being in LA makes him any good. Clearly he moved there for the lifestyle, and presumably so he didn't have to listen to know-it-alls like you.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I was at the Galaxy against United game last night. Galaxys midfield and defence were terrible, Robbie was at left back at one point trying to get on the ball as he was getting nothing up front. He looked very very frustrated, even got himself booked, but he was head and shoulders the best footballer in the Galaxy team.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Were you the guy in the robbie rogers shirt Razor?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    TOWK; I'll respond to your post in the Richard Dunne thread about Robbie here instead...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    OK..... Robbie Keane is 34 years old. He's playing in the MLS. His performances against pedigree International teams - and pedigree club teams before that - have been in decline for several years. I think other personnel are more suited to a change in formation. That forms the basis of my argument that he should be rotated.
    Fair enough, there's certainly an argument for rotation and exploring/trying other long-term options, especially now that Robbie is coming towards the end of his career (or soon to walk out...). I'm actually a big fan of Long myself, despite his habitual wastefulness/hastiness when seemingly running low on confidence. Nevertheless, I wouldn't say Robbie's performances have been in sharp decline. You'd inevitably expect age to take its toll on any body, but he has maintained a top professional level throughout his career and, even if he has been in relative decline, he has consistently proven time and time again that he's the best we have on offer. To be honest, I think his fitness and conditioning improved as he matured. Even now, he looks leaner than he did, say, as a 21/22-year-old at the 2002 World Cup when he was still carrying what might generously be described as a bit of baby-fat. His record in latter years has also been in spite of Trap's limited tactics over that time.

Over the past few seasons at club level, he's been scoring goals in MLS, he had a good record at Celtic (12 goals from 16) and he also had a ratio of a goal every two games when briefly on loan at Villa. Fair enough, you can say he's playing at an inferior level now, but he can only score against what's put in front of him and he has continued doing that. If he hasn't been performing against the teams you'd like him to be at club level, it's not necessarily because he's been in serious decline; it's because he hasn't been playing against such teams full-stop. Sure, maybe you can hold something against him if you think he's settled for a comfortable retirement or twilight period (although he'd dispute that), but don't claim there's evidence to indicate a serious decline in performance.

I just think you're being unfair on Robbie when there's no need to be really; you seem to have expected him to have scored in every game we've played against pedigree opposition. No top striker manages that. Even Miroslav Klose's record shows he's scored a broad mix of goals against pedigree teams and no-hopers alike. You're not evaluating Robbie's contribution within context, or reality even. You're judging him by such a bizarre and inappropriate standard. What makes your position even more unreasonable is that we simply have nobody else who has proven themselves to be anywhere close to him in terms of strike-rate and ability to finish. Niall Quinn trails far behind with 19 goals in the record books, whilst our current batch of strikers simply haven't proven themselves as equally-capable successors (yet, hopefully). Sure, give other options like Long a chance, but you don't have to attack Robbie's pedigree and record to justify that. Robbie has been an aberration and I'll be surprised if we ever see his like again in an Ireland shirt after he retires (or walks off in that huff...).

I have doubts on if he will play on, if he is rotated, for a couple of reasons; in part due to quotes like this: "I have not really worried or thought about my position with the Ireland team." It is all about now and I've said before if I didn't play for Ireland and someone else came in, I have always said I would walk away." I thought we had agreed to disagree on our interpretations of that comment? And take into account the sanctimonious mocking I had to endure until I provided the numerous sources for those quotes.
    Hehe, maybe I was more resigning myself to an inability to change your stubborn mind in spite of offering a sound counter-interpretation in line with credible evidence to the contrary that would suggest you were interpreting his comments unfairly, but we can agree to disagree. As for the sanctimonious mocking, that's out of line, and I hope I haven't been guilty. If you think I have been, although I don't think I've resorted to mocking, I apologise, but you can be very frustrating work at times. As you well know though, you made a startling claim based upon your non-universally accepted interpretation. It's no wonder people would suspect you of making up a quote when your claim didn't remotely sit in line with all they'd ever heard from Robbie and how they'd interpreted his past words. The particular quote had been previously discussed and analysed on the forum, so people were already aware of it before you brought the matter up again; they just didn't share your interpretation and, as a result, obviously failed to realise that that was the quote to which you were referring when you made your assertion. That all became apparent after you produced the quote and I'm pretty sure this has been explained before.

... That's not a magnificent record.
    Are there other players you have in mind who do have magnificent records of which only Robbie could dream? From other teams even? Who from our own batch do you foresee scoring even half the number of goals Robbie has? Who will do it against the teams you claim Robbie can't? I mean, your argument would hold a lot more weight if it was the case that Robbie was keeping a player like Ronaldo or Rooney out of the team. Not that I'm trying to dismiss him, but Shane Long has one competitive international goal to his name.

We have qualified for two tournaments with Keane and I would say neither was in large part due to Keane. He was unable to be influential enough to come up with the goals during his barren spell in the mid noughties, post namesake, to fire Ireland into tournaments.
    You're having a laugh if you think we'd have gotten anywhere near the finals we did without Robbie. I wouldn't even like to imagine where we'd be in the world of international football now had we not had Robbie over the past decade and a half.

I do not have a vendetta against Keane whatsoever. He has scored goals against big teams and performed against big teams - largely in the past. He has a magnificent goalscoring record overall that will never be equalled. I even agree with people largely that he is probably our best bet to score; in certain games. And he has an integral part to play off the bench, with his experience, in other games. Do I think he's more likely to score against Poland and Germany on current form? No. And do I think it's worth it relying on him at the expense of the way we set out to play? No.
    That sounds a bit more reasonable and your final point is valid, but who is more likely to score against Poland and Germany?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't know why you are still taking the **** out of me for the "walk away" comments! It was Robbie who made them not me. To put it into context he was 30 years old when he made them, not in the twilight of his career. Oh he backtracked on the comments did he? We'll just forget about them so.

Yeah. The MLS and SPL are Mickey Mouse Leagues and I don't see Anthony Stokes or Jon Daly's goalscoring ratios being touted here. Keane has been oft poor in his second spell at Spurs, at West Ham, and pertinently, for Ireland.

If I gave the impression that Keane's record against big teams was crap, I apologise, but it does not stand out. I didn't bring up Klose this time but he has a far more consistent ratio against stronger teams and has been far more influential for Germany.

All this talk of who is going to equal Keane's goalscoring record or who is more likely to score against Germany or Poland is trivial and beside the point. Long's performances for Ireland have been better and he is playing consistently well, week in, week out, against the standard of players Germany, Poland and Scotland have. Long probably is more likely to score against Germany and Poland. He hasn't started enough competitive games to prove otherwise. It also makes far more sense to start with Long or even Long and Doyle against these teams unless we just want to persevere with the same personnel and same tactics that we have ran into the ground over the last several campaigns. Fair enough, Keane's record against teams the standard of Gibraltar and Georgia is fantastic. He should be able to start those games no question; even have an important part to play off the bench against Germany and Poland. He is a team player after all, isn't he?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I don't know why you are still taking the **** out of me for the "walk away" comments! It was Robbie who made them not me. To put it into context he was 30 years old when he made them, not in the twilight of his career. Oh he backtracked on the comments did he? We'll just forget about them so.
    I seriously don't know if you're being intentionally difficult on this one or just obtuse... Yes, Robbie made comments; what you think those comments meant is open to interpretation. I was challenging (and lightly ribbing, OK) your interpretation because I think it's way, way off. I don't dispute what Robbie objectively said; that being the exact set of words that he uttered. Rather, I'm disputing the meaning you've subjectively assigned to those words. I don't see his words as conveying the same meaning or sharing the same connotation that you do. There's an important distinction. You keep saying Robbie said what you think his words meant - that he will walk out in a huff as soon as he's dropped - but that's not an undisputed fact. It's your opinion and I disagree completely, as you know. Is that really so difficult to comprehend? Am I explaining that concept - the distinction between objective/subjective, fact/opinion and statement/interpretation - poorly or something?

I'm not sure why you're talking about back-tracking either; he had nothing from which he needed to back-track. Unless, of course, your interpretation is correct. But there's no reason to assume that it is.

If I gave the impression that Keane's record against big teams was crap, I apologise, but it does not stand out.
    Whose does?...

All this talk of who is going to equal Keane's goalscoring record or who is more likely to score against Germany or Poland is trivial and beside the point. Long's performances for Ireland have been better and he is playing consistently well, week in, week out, against the standard of players Germany, Poland and Scotland have. Long probably is more likely to score against Germany and Poland. He hasn't started enough competitive games to prove otherwise.
    Maybe Long will prove his worth and I certainly hope he can. We can only wait and see. As you admit with your use of "probably", however, there's nothing certain about it. He has not (yet) proven, by any means, that he's on a higher pedestal distinct from where Robbie finds himself at the minute. Hopefully, that will change though and he can become his worthy successor over the next few years. Or, if not Long, then someone else.

He is a team player after all, isn't he?
    Yes, he is. I don't know why you're trying to insinuate otherwise with such a sarcastic rhetorical question.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Yeah. The MLS and SPL are Mickey Mouse Leagues and I don't see Anthony Stokes or Jon Daly's goalscoring ratios being touted here. Keane has been oft poor in his second spell at Spurs, at West Ham, and pertinently, for Ireland.
    According to this article - http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/edi...rs-at-the-2014 - the MLS had 22 players at the World Cup, joint ninth with the Portuguese Primera Division. Stokes is already in or around the squad. Daly is 31, hasn't played at SPL level in a year, and it will be at least another year before he does again, which is why he hasn't been touted for a call up

If I gave the impression that Keane's record against big teams was crap, I apologise, but it does not stand out.
    Do you have a list of players whose record does "stand out"? Where is Keane on this list?

I didn't bring up Klose this time but he has a far more consistent ratio against stronger teams and has been far more influential for Germany.
    Do you have Klose's ratio against "stronger" teams and how exactly do you measure, and compare, "influence"?

All this talk of who is going to equal Keane's goalscoring record or who is more likely to score against Germany or Poland is trivial and beside the point.
    It really is trivial, Keane is more likely to score

Long's performances for Ireland have been better and he is playing consistently well, week in, week out, against the standard of players Germany, Poland and Scotland have. Long probably is more likely to score against Germany and Poland. He hasn't started enough competitive games to prove otherwise.
    Do you understand probability? Keane's record in competitive internationals is almost 1 in 2, Long's is 1 in his career to date! Which do you think is more likely to score?

It also makes far more sense to start with Long or even Long and Doyle against these teams unless we just want to persevere with the same personnel and same tactics that we have ran into the ground over the last several campaigns.
    This would be the same Doyle who has played in the last several campaigns and, according to this article - http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spor...-squad-7547883 - doesn't have a squad number at Wolves this season?
    Fair enough, Keane's record against teams the standard of Gibraltar and Georgia is fantastic. He should be able to start those games no question; even have an important part to play off the bench against Germany and Poland. He is a team player after all, isn't he?
    Are you implying he isn't a team player?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    45th MLS goal for Robbie Keane this evening against Portland Timbers, in only 73 appearances

<EDIT>

46 goals now, 12 this season, with a converted penalty. Had one missed and one saved earlier this season
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/08/2014 at 8:42 PM.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Alexi Lalas asking the question on Twitter if Robbie has been the best foreign import into the MLS :

https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/statu...70636355026944

Good to hear him being mentioned like that, not the greatest league in the world but certainly improving. Any Irish fan who doesn't rate Robbie has his head up his hole to be completely frank!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

22. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    45th MLS goal for Robbie Keane this evening against Portland Timbers, in only 73 appearances

<EDIT>

46 goals now, 12 this season, with a converted penalty. Had one missed and one saved earlier this season

Scroll down a bit on this link to 85min and 73 mins for video footage of his goals

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/mat...d-timbers/feed
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Your backtrack is, for most other people, a simple clarification. He had also said he'll always turn up if fit and as long as he is picked. Does that mean his commitment is only contingent on being picked? Should he turn up anyway if not picked?

Your refusal to accept any ambiguity really marks you out as a zealot with an agenda.

Your latest rant appears to have been prompted by my post on the Dunne thread where, not for the first time, I agreed that accommodating Keane is a conundrum due to the failings elsewhere in the team. I think we can all see that but you then went off on one about his "walking away" remark as if it's relevant to anything. It fits perfectly with your sophistry. If you can't attack the facts, attack the man. The ad hominem fallacy.

The fact that he was 30 when he said "it" is far more likely to indicate it was meant how most people understand it. If he does retire when no longer picked he'll probably be 35, hardly the execution of a "pick me or I walk" threat made 5 years earlier.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 02/08/2014 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Can we all just agree that The one who twerks is sensetive but knowledgeable and move on? JMAJ! Its boring y'all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    ... but you then went off on one about his "walking away" remark as if it's relevant to anything. It fits perfectly with your sophistry. If you can't attack the facts, attack the man. The ad hominem fallacy.
    To be fair, I think my quip from the Richard Dunne thread might have provoked that.

Anyhow, I found a piece by the perceptive Liam Mackey, written at the time, and he had the following to say on Robbie's comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Mackey

Then just 37 minutes into his West Ham debut at Bloomfield Road, he seizes on a loose ball in the box and — boom! — it’s in the back of the net. Debate over — or, at least, the terms are suddenly changed to what might yet be in store from Robbie Keane as opposed to whether he has any future at all.

A pity then, that before he put his foot through it, he’d put his foot in it, his apparently dismissive reply to a question about his Irish future causing another little flurry of bad publicity.

Asked at his inaugural Upton Park press conference about Giovanni Trapattoni’s concerns about the player’s club situation, Keane replied as if he’d just stepped in something unpleasant.

“I have not really worried or thought about my position with the Ireland team,” he snapped back. “It is all about now and I’ve said before if I didn’t play for Ireland and someone else came in, I have always said I would walk away.”

Paper never refuses ink and, within 12 hours, an apparently throwaway remark was being headlined as a ‘Robbie Quits’ threat on the more excitable back pages, his narky response at a press conference transformed into a pick-me-or-I’m-off ultimatum supposedly directed at Trap.

And, indeed, that would have been a very big story indeed, were it not for the inescapable sense that Keane’s words were generated in the heat of the moment and that — his evident annoyance at being asked the question notwithstanding — a more acceptable expression of the intended sentiment would have gone something along the lines of, “I’ve always been very proud to play for Ireland but, of course, when the time comes and someone comes along who can do the job better than me, I’ll gracefully leave the stage.”

But even though we all know that Irish players don’t come much more committed than Keane, that is not the way he chose to answer a perfectly legitimate question and the result was a mini-own goal which, on past experience, he is more likely to blame on the pesky meeja than his own lack of thoughtful eloquence.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    We will agree to disagree on the meaning of Robbie's comments. I'm not positive that it was me who brought up his dedication this go around but if it was, I apologise. He is not eloquent - not many footballers are, he was in a bad mood and the press corps were breaking his b*lls. Keane had carte blanche to lose the rag. I respect that.

I should just never have brought up Klose in comparison to Keane, but yes I believe he is more influential and has a better goalscoring record as his goalscoring record, qualification record and performance at big tournaments - well into his 30's - would bear out.

I think we need to stop playing 4-4-2. I think Long's energy, pace, strength and link up play would be better suited to playing in a different formation and he has already shown signs of intuition with Hoolahan. I also think it would suit certain other players too. I think, given the chance, Long can score goals. He has probably started half-a-dozen games at a competitive level. Now at 27/28 he is coming into his peak years. It's the time to get the best out of him and play him consistently; and play to the strengths of the team, not in my opinion, to the strengths of Keane. I also think Doyle has an important role to play for Ireland, judging by the sustained consistency in the strength of his performances for Ireland. I judge his use, not on the basis of his club situation, but his performances on the pitch for Ireland. And any road, didn't he help get QPR promoted?

I still think Keane has a role to play against i.e. Germany and Poland off the bench, after Long/Doyle have run themselves ragged and Keane can use his experience to take advantage of any gaps left by tiring defences. He is always a good bet to score against teams like Georgia and Gibraltar so he could maybe start those games.

No, I don't think Keane is more likely to score against Germany or Poland than Long. I would be more positive of Long matching some of his recent PL performances against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal than I would be of Keane scoring. And I fear that Keane's effectiveness could mirror his performance against Portugal and that of several recent Qualification games.

Or am I being unfair? You could say I'm distorting things but people could be equally culpable of doing that with Long.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being harsh on Keane. Ireland legend. First name on teamsheet up until recently. Record never equalled. Obviously better player than Long at his peak. But 34 and I think we would be a better team if he was rotated and make a peaked Long the focal point up front.