Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connacht V United

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Connacht V United

My dad, brother and myself all work for connacht and are season ticket holders at united. it sucks that they clash and my dad talked to them about it. they are reviewing the situation so hopefully they will change to sat. it doesnt make any difference to play on sat cause the dogs are on and it would make it easier for people from mayo, sligo etc. to go to the match. i saw that united had a piece in the programme about it, i will leave it on the marketing managers desk just to cop her on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    My dad, brother and myself all work for connacht and are season ticket holders at united. it sucks that they clash and my dad talked to them about it. they are reviewing the situation so hopefully they will change to sat. it doesnt make any difference to play on sat cause the dogs are on and it would make it easier for people from mayo, sligo etc. to go to the match. i saw that united had a piece in the programme about it, i will leave it on the marketing managers desk just to cop her on.
    While the two teams are not ground sharing, they are certainly crowd sharing to a significant degree. Connacht's attendance was down last night, and it makes no sense to have the two teams competing on the same night.

However, they don't necessarily need to switch from Fridays. After all when you consider how it can be arranged for some of the teams that do ground share, then it surely could be arranged that home games don't clash.

So, as the seasons overlap at both ends, Connacht look out for United's last six or seven games and ask for no clashes. Then United do the same for Connacht's last few games when the FAI publish their new season fixtures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Galway United have played our home games on Friday nights for the past
    number of years. We are certainly not going to change to accomodate another organisation who have moved in to our traditional time slot.

Connacht rugby are an artifical Dublin City-like entity. They are propped up by the IRFU who send E40,000 per week down from Dublin. Without this, they would collapse.

GUFC is mainly ran by volunteers who put in their own time to make sure the club survives. We are a community club. This is the total antithesis of Connacht, where everyone gets paid to do even the most basic of tasks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

You're dead right Patrick.

I've held a United season ticket for 8 years now and a Connacht Rugby one for the last two. And I know plenty of others who support both teams.
    This clashing of games is potentially a long term problem. Both teams are losing fans due to the short-sightedness of the Connacht Rugby board.
    Connacht should feck off back to Saturdays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Your very welcome Latcheko to foot.ie. I too am a season ticket holder of GUFC but for only 7 years and I used to frequent a connaught rugby match, but never became a season ticket holder with them. NOW, I will never be seeing another rugby match again, stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Latcheko View Post
    Connacht should feck off back to Saturdays.
    Couldn't agree more, I've only ever attended 1 connacht rugby game, but i have no intention of ever going to a game again after their attempt to muscle in on our Friday night spot.
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Terry and hello everyone.
    Wasn't John Fallon Connacht's manager for a couple of seasons?
    He should go up to The Sportsground and hit someone across the back of the head!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if we keep on playing like we are then i think that they inevitably wont have a choice but to change back to saturdays.if we keep playing the way we are the crowds are gonna get bigger and bigger because as we know galway people love following teams who are doing well. the better we do the more players we'll attract which could inevitably destroy they're friday night games
    Homer: I'm gonna make sure these deliveries are made on time.
    Bart: Let me come with you
    Homer: Dont you have school!
    Bart: Dont you have work!
    Homer: Ah Touche!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    where will we fit them all? Great complaint!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    we have nothing to fear from the rugby bunch, there was over twice as many in terryland on friday compaired to the sportsground - only Att: 1,687 watched the rugby! theyll soon change to saturdays me thinks
    Salthill/Knocknacarra Gaa Official Website- http://www.salthillknocknacarragaa.ie/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    we've only 2-3 home games left this year so if wecan fill it up for them we should hopefully have our new stand for next season which will help us fit a hell of a lot more people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I've never ever been to a Connacht Rugby match in my life. Damned if I'm going to start now.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    I've never ever been to a Connacht Rugby match in my life. Damned if I'm going to start now.
    Ditto.
    The egg chasers can get lost trying to force an unnecessary competition on a Friday night for crowds.Well we're winning at the moment!
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    same as now, i've only ever been in the sportsground for the greyhounds and thats the way its gonna stay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was never a regular at Connacht matches, but i did go to some. I usually work on Saturday and used to finish early in order to go to their matches. I’ll never go again. I’m sorry I supported their efforts to remain in business some years ago when they were almost shut down.

I don’t know what kind of league they play in, where they have 7 home games in a row. I’m sure they could have tried to change a few of the ones that clash with ours and play them during the soccer close season. They didn’t even consider it. I think they think they’re superior to us. At this stage I almost hate them, and kinda like to see them loosing every week. Long may it continue

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Has anyone from GU actually talked to anyone at Connacht Rugby to get their views on this? I think it would be better to seek accomodation with them rather than dismissing them. There may not be many that would attend both, but every body through the stiles counts.

Must admit I was at the Sportsground on Friday night and had a great time. But then I am an Ulsterman! If it hadn't been Ulster that were in town I'd almost certainly have gone to Terryland- it was daft to have them on concurrently.

Incidentally Eddie the Eagle is absolutley brilliant and every team in every code should have one!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway Harps View Post
    Has anyone from GU actually talked to anyone at Connacht Rugby to get their views on this? I think it would be better to seek accomodation with them rather than dismissing them. There may not be many that would attend both, but every body through the stiles counts.

Must admit I was at the Sportsground on Friday night and had a great time. But then I am an Ulsterman! If it hadn't been Ulster that were in town I'd almost certainly have gone to Terryland- it was daft to have them on concurrently.

Incidentally Eddie the Eagle is absolutley brilliant and every team in every code should have one!
    I dont think anyone contacted them yet, but they should have - Ive never been to a connacht game but id still look out for there scores on aertel and would like to see them doing well, but they should play on saturdays, on days we are playing at home, as friday is gufc night! And how about united getting a mascot like eddie, would really get the crowd going, what happened to the tiger we used to have?
    Salthill/Knocknacarra Gaa Official Website- http://www.salthillknocknacarragaa.ie/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    no point in saying you hate connaught etc. think dialogue and accomodation the way forward - it is only for 3 home matches - if it hits them in the pocket they are more likely to change anyway

would say id go to a connaught game if i was looking for something to do - but wouldnt go out of my way which is what i do for united!
    more water!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayFrancis View Post
    what happened to the tiger we used to have?
    He became a journalist for a local newspaper and still goes to all the games!
    "Are those my feet" Fr Jack Hackett

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    He became a journalist for a local newspaper and still goes to all the games!
    It's so often the way.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast