Page 168 of 229 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    McGeady came on for last 3 or 4 minutes in a 2-2 draw.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That's great news.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Even better news is that Akinfeev was injured. Welliton, who would be one of the best players here, had 2 bites at the cherry before finally nailing him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I expect him to be tightly marked tomorrow. The game Friday will have done him good, he had some good flashes but you could see he's been starved of game time. But just a shame we don't have the midfield who will make something of the space he'll create when he's being doubled up on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Spartak move wrong for 'frustrating' McGeady - Nicholas

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2867198.html

Joke of an article. He has basically not played for two months and is thrown in for a vital international game and was not at his best. Crazy the criticism he's getting. When fit he is a vital player for Ireland. After the abuse he got everytime he walked the streets of Glasgow for his decision surely he must wonder why be bothers.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Agree with Nicholas. Complete lack of courage not biding his time for that lucrative move to Alec McLeish's Birmingham City. How are they doing now? Wet Tuesday in Stoke etc.

I do agree with this part though:

"He could do magical things, but sometimes you have to just get the ball in.

"Look at the Robbie Keane chance the other night (created by Damien Duff) -- put it in the area. Aiden tries to be perfect, too cultured at times.

"If you're a striker and you make a run three times and the ball doesn't come in, then you're not going to make that run a fourth time.
    In England he'd have to focus more on his end product, but overall I think the move to Spartak has obviously made him a better player.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 06/09/2011 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    His move has made him a better player, no doubt. But he was offered £2 million a year tax free and no EPL team was offering what Celtic wanted so he went for it. Nobody can say for sure an EPL would have made an offer acceptable to Celtic when they had all Summer to offer it and didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    why does that article sound like an advert for sky sports?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Because it is.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    That's one of the most ridiculous articles I've ever read crowned by an advertisement tacked on to the end. Why on earth would they publish that.

This Nicholas fellow sounds like a clown as well. "You go as far afield as he did, in a way it's hiding, just passing time, like when guys go to America" is the most nonsensical Sky-esque anglo-centric comment I've ever heard. People over there seem to really believe the world game revolves around the EPL, its laughable.

He moved from the 17th ranked league in Europe to the 7th, of course its a positive move

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair, it's the sort of the thing that would get reported regardless of whether Sky were sponsoring it. I've seen far worse examples of product placement in newspapers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    That's one of the most ridiculous articles I've ever read crowned by an advertisement tacked on to the end. Why on earth would they publish that.

This Nicholas fellow sounds like a clown as well. "You go as far afield as he did, in a way it's hiding, just passing time, like when guys go to America" is the most nonsensical Sky-esque anglo-centric comment I've ever heard. People over there seem to really believe the world game revolves around the EPL, its laughable.

He moved from the 17th ranked league in Europe to the 7th, of course its a positive move
    Coming from Charlie who turned down Liverpool for a mediocre Arsenal team because of the lights and glamour of Landan, he has a cheek. Aiden has been excellent for Ireland since his move and as a Celtic fan I have to look at our coaching and wonder why we couldn't develop his game like that, but fair play to Spartak. One bad game since his move where he pretty much hasn't played for two months and he's slated!

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    Coming from Charlie who turned down Liverpool for a mediocre Arsenal team because of the lights and glamour of Landan, he has a cheek. Aiden has been excellent for Ireland since his move and as a Celtic fan I have to look at our coaching and wonder why we couldn't develop his game like that, but fair play to Spartak. One bad game since his move where he pretty much hasn't played for two months and he's slated!
    I don't actually like saying this but I think Aiden stayed too long at Celtic. His game has come on since he moved to Russia but how much further on could he be if he had left the sectarian goldfish bowl that is largely Scottish football sooner. Aiden has great feet on the ball but his end product is not up to other parts of his game and you are right why could Celtic not improve Aiden in this respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Sean, I would maybe agree with that.

17. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I think he's improved a lot, he seems to time his runs better, doesnt give the ball away as much and is much better defending than before. I don't know what all this guff about Spartak being a poor move is. If he'd moved to a club like Amkar or Tomsk then fair enough, but he's at one of the biggest clubs in Eastern Europe. Some of the top Russian clubs (Zenit, CSKA, to a lesser extent Rubin) can compete near the top level of European football, Spartak's form has deserted them over the last 5 years or so but they are not far off that level.

He's in a much stronger squad than he would have been at Birmingham or Celtic, if he doesnt do well the Kombarov twins can take his place so there is significant competition for him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    i've often criticised mcgeady for his lack of end product but he was brilliant last night covering ward's wanderings, and an outlet on those few occasions when we had posession. dunne man of the match no doubt but from the front 6 mcgeady gets my nod.

i can't really remember him tracking back pre-spartak for the ireland team. i'm sure he did it to a degree but hardly to such good effect.

since leaving celtic he's scored his first goal for ireland and made a starting position his own.
    Last edited by zero; 07/09/2011 at 8:04 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    mcgeady has very visibly improved since the move. a step up in class. starting position for us nailed on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    i've often criticised mcgeady for his lack of end product but he was brilliant last night covering ward's wanderings, and an outlet on those few occasions when we had posession. dunne man of the match no doubt but from the front 6 mcgeady gets my nod.

i can't really remember him tracking back pre-spartak for the ireland team. i'm sure he did it to a degree but hardly to such good effect.

since leaving celtic he's scored his first goal for ireland and made a starting position his own.
    It's strange how people see things in wildly different ways. I happened to read another discussion today where someone was lambasting McGeady as a waster who offered Ward no protection and was basically at fault for all our problems down that side. Ward was made exempt from criticism and ridiculously, this opinion was met with a chorus of agreement. Different strokes and all that.

For what it's worth, I'm with you. He showed a lot of responsibility yesterday, one last ditch sliding tackle in particular comes to mind. No idea where Ward was at the time. You expect it from Duff but it's good to see McGeady following suit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    McGeady was excellent last night given the difficulty that Ward put him under for some reason being constantly out of position.

How many times was Ward in the box instead of tracking his man which is what McGeady had to do in the end. I wouldn't be adversed sticking Aiden at LB if it came to it. There would be no harm in it and who knows it could be where he blossoms??? I know I am reading a lot into one game but he was great.
    And sure we can stick Fahey in at LM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    McGeady was excellent last night given the difficulty that Ward put him under for some reason being constantly out of position.

How many times was Ward in the box instead of tracking his man which is what McGeady had to do in the end. I wouldn't be adversed sticking Aiden at LB if it came to it. There would be no harm in it and who knows it could be where he blossoms??? I know I am reading a lot into one game but he was great.
    And sure we can stick Fahey in at LM.
    he's our best attacking player , would be madness to play him LB