Thanked in
    574 Posts
    I take it Yapster's a troll then?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Just as expected, Celtic assistant manager states the obvious, as reported by the
    BBC

"Every footballer has a price, I would suggest at any club," said Venus.
    "So it would be folly of me to sit here and say that there's no way Aiden McGeady's leaving. But I would suggest it would probably take a lot of money."
    McGeady is being tracked by a number of clubs in England and abroad, with Birmingham City being one known to have made a firm inquiry.
    Blues manager Alex McLeish is thought to be considering a fresh move for McGeady, with Celtic likely to be looking for about £10m.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    It sounded like a COME AND GET HIM statement to me.
    Always look on the bright side of life

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larssonisghod View Post
    and as for Mcgeady - moving south just for the sake of it, is wrong. If a top club comes along, then ok. But b'ham, s'land etc would be a step down, imho.
    Maybe the club he'd be playing for would be a step down, but the clubs he'd be testing himself against would certainly be a step up.

Personally whether Celtic win or lose every game means nothing to me, I'm only interested in how McGeady does for Ireland. I think a move to a league which sees him up against better players would do something to show us his true level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    A move to Birmingham is a step up imo. So he wont play in the champions league for a while. He'll be up against decent oppositon most weekends and will have to up his game to get his place. At the mo he walks into the celtic side, don't think the same would happen in brum if he wasn't playing well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    The champions league was the only platform for Aidean to really test himself at Celtic and with the new qualifying rules and Celtic no longer assured of winning the SPL every year I don't think he can bank on getting that every year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    mcgeady is ok, i like him, but moving to birmingham is a bit uninspiring. I guess it's good coz he will be playing in a different environment and more likely to see him on highlights but i expected more. cant believe anyone would invest so much for him. he's decent but that would be a rip off.
    Agreed re price tag, but when we still see clubs spending 25m on donkeys like joleon (rubbish name as well) lescott then inflated player prices are still alive and well in the soon to be bankrupt Premier League.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's not worth anything near 10mil imo, I would say about 5mil would be more realistic. The Premier League will be a massive step up for him, Its going to be sink or swim for Aiden.
    I hope im wrong but I can see him back on loan in Scotland within a year or two.

Re: Comparing his valuation to the crazy money spent on Lescott etc, Man City are competing in a different market to Birmingham, its completely skewed by the blank cheque they have at their disposal and Everton didnt want to sell him so they had to pay a premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeside Swagger View Post
    Re: Comparing his valuation to the crazy money spent on Lescott etc, Man City are competing in a different market to Birmingham, its completely skewed by the blank cheque they have at their disposal and Everton didnt want to sell him so they had to pay a premium.
    True, but comparing him to the transfers of the better players from the SPL over the last few seasons (Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton, etc) gives a better idea of the cost of buying the top players from the SPL.
    Whether or not he's worth £10million+ is a different argument to what he'll cost to buy

As a different example, is Shay Given really worth 6 million? Probably double that and you're closer to his true value, but that's what Newcastle were willing to sell him for.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I think the whole concept of "worth" can be thrown out the window. What matters is how much it will cost to buy him, eloquently described by numerous posters above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeside Swagger View Post
    He's not worth anything near 10mil imo, I would say about 5mil would be more realistic. The Premier League will be a massive step up for him, Its going to be sink or swim for Aiden.
    I hope im wrong but I can see him back on loan in Scotland within a year or two.

Celtic have seen less talented players like Craig Gordon and Alan Hutton both go south in recent years for 9M so they are not going to undervalue McGeady. They are in a fairly solid financial position so they don't have to sell him unless the price is right for them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    They are in a fairly solid financial position so they don't have to sell him unless the price is right for them.
    Absolutely! Similar to one half of the situation with the Lescott sale by Everton. i.e. Celtic also dont need to sell. Birmingham might not be a Man C but they are as close to an 'open cheque book' as we are likely to get seeing as Man C are not in the market for him.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They are in a strong Financial position in so far as they dont have any debt and refuse to use leverage as a means to raise funds. Its not as if they are flush with cash for transfers though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I think Celtic's willingness to consider offers might have something to do with McGinn's advance. Another goal last night. It's beginning to look like a serious lost opportunity him playing for the North.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I think Celtic's willingness to consider offers might have something to do with McGinn's advance. Another goal last night. It's beginning to look like a serious lost opportunity him playing for the North.
    McGinn always wanted to play for the North

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Didn't Gordon go from Hearts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    he did i think they ment that they have seen other scotish clubs recieve those amounts? either that of he was mistaken but yep he was hearts keeper won spl player of they year whyle with them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    McGeady going to Birmingham would be a positive move for him, career wise.

He's 23, yet to reach his peak & staying in Scotland is an admission that he does not believe he has the ability to perform at a decent level.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    McGeady going to Birmingham would be a positive move for him, career wise.

He's 23, yet to reach his peak & staying in Scotland is an admission that he does not believe he has the ability to perform at a decent level.
    There is no doubting that he believes in his own ability, but I dont think anyone should doubt just how much McGeady loves his club. People might laugh at that and say its not exactly professional but while I do think he will move on eventually he will not be in a big hurry to leave
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    There is no doubting that he believes in his own ability, but I dont think anyone should doubt just how much McGeady loves his club. People might laugh at that and say its not exactly professional but while I do think he will move on eventually he will not be in a big hurry to leave
    I've no doubt that McGeady has a huge passion for Celtic and irrespective of his future career choices he will always be a Hoop, but i don't see how, if he's ambitious to further his footballing career, he can expect to do that at Celtic.