Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refereeing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Refereeing

Anyone see 'the Premiership's best Referee' Graham Poll's performance tonight in the Aus v Croatia game.

Surely the worst WC refereeing display of all times. Missed a blatant penalty when Simunic took down Viduka with a tackle round the waist that Brian O'Driscoll would have been proud of. Even though he did get one right when rightly awarding the Aussies a penaly when Tomas handled, he denied Australia another penalty when he missed a blantant handball by a Croat defender. He then gave Simunic three yellow cards before giving him a red after the final whistle.

He wasn't helped by one of his assistants who failed to spot that both Kewell and Viduke were offside for the Australia equaliser.

A truly terrible display of refereeing
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I didn't see Poll tonight but generally in this WC the refereeing has not been great. I've noticed that the assistants are also getting a number of offside calls wrong on numerous occasions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I would also like to add that the penalty for Ghana against the US was a very bad decision. Completely changed the game and allowed Ghana to sit back in the second half.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know a guy who missed his yankee, a pretty big sum of money, because Poll blew up early on what was a certain Australian goal at the end. Brutal performance and I hope he gets punished for it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I havent been able to see many of the games due to time difference and the fact sky own all live rights here but there seems to be a crazy amount of yellow cards per game. Are the games really that "dirty"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB
    I havent been able to see many of the games due to time difference and the fact sky own all live rights here but there seems to be a crazy amount of yellow cards per game. Are the games really that "dirty"?
    To me, it seems the game has become a non-contact sport.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soko
    I know a guy who missed his yankee, a pretty big sum of money, because Poll blew up early on what was a certain Australian goal at the end. Brutal performance and I hope he gets punished for it
    The only punishment he is likely to get is that he will not get any more games to do in this WC, but he will be back in the Premiership and the CL next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soko

I had Brazil -2, Italy, Ghana and Australia in an accumulator, shocking decisions all through that Oz and Croatia game. How de fcuk can he blow up with the ball in the 6 yard box? And how can ye book a bloke twice and not send him off?

I feel raped.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    I assumed it was a free out for the challenge on the keeper myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah I thought that too Stu, and it was fairly obvious. Shocking in general though. FIFA's official records have changed and now Simunic has only 2 yellows. The one fore the tackle on viduk in the 89th minute is gone. All to save Poll I presume. It fools nobody
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by padzer
    I had Brazil -2, Italy, Ghana and Australia in an accumulator, shocking decisions all through that Oz and Croatia game. How de fcuk can he blow up with the ball in the 6 yard box? And how can ye book a bloke twice and not send him off?

I feel raped.
    The Ghana win was fortunate to say the least and at the end I reckon if Poll didn't blow for full time he would have given a free out cos one of the Croatians was definitely fouled.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Easy to criticise referees and linesmen. The latter's job for offside is almost a physical impossibility: how can he watch to the left when the ball is being kicked and at the same time watch to the right to see if a player is offside. If he has a squint it might help.

A referee can only give what he sees. If Poll and presumably the linesman didn't see the handball, how can he give it and if he did see it I have no doubt he would have given it.

As the the extra time, the number of minutes are only put up for guidance since it is hardly exact numbers all the time. I really think they should adopt the rugby "stop the clock" and hooter at the end. Once the time has passed on his watch, he's entitled to blow up and for everyone who had a bet on Australia winning, I am sure there were plenty who had a bet on a draw.

No excuses for booking someone 3 times though
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    In defence of the refs, those idiotic FIFA clowns change the rules before every World Cup and then scrutinise every single decision they make to see if they can continue refereeing, adding to the already immense pressure. The three cards thing was inexcusable alright though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    A referee can only give what he sees. If Poll and presumably the linesman didn't see the handball, how can he give it and if he did see it I have no doubt he would have given it.
    Ow he decided the Croatian headed it is a far more pertinant question. A way more obvious handball than the one he gave earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Roadend
    In defence of the refs, those idiotic FIFA clowns change the rules before every World Cup and then scrutinise every single decision they make to see if they can continue refereeing, adding to the already immense pressure. The three cards thing was inexcusable alright though.
    They didn't change any rules this time and its only right they scrutinise every decision. No referee is perfect but the better ones (the ones who make less errors) remain in the competition
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    They did change the rules you'll find. Yellow cards for breathing on your opponent was brought in.
    Also as regards the better refs staying in, Merk was world referee of the year the last two years and he's had a poor competition. If he's the yardstick and pressure to get things right is affecting him, what chance for any of the others.
    Last edited by Roadend; 23/06/2006 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I suppose in theory they hope to make the game more free flowing by trying to cut down on the physical side of it. That leads to more bookings and more players missing games.

They have had some success - the back pass rule was excellent. Players pretending to be hurt is still a problem. If you stay down for more than 5 seconds you must leave the field to be treated and be only allowed back after the next stoppage in play.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars
    To me, it seems the game has become a non-contact sport.
    Agreed, it is regrettably becoming less physical . I play LSL and referees are obviously influenced by what they see on television. I've found frees are given far more readily, esp in the last year or so, for things trying to muscle someone off a ball or any fair but zealous tackling.
    My usual response when I get a cheap free against is 'Its no f**king basketball ref'
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Easy to criticise referees and linesmen. The latter's job for offside is almost a physical impossibility: how can he watch to the left when the ball is being kicked and at the same time watch to the right to see if a player is offside. If he has a squint it might help.

A referee can only give what he sees. If Poll and presumably the linesman didn't see the handball, how can he give it and if he did see it I have no doubt he would have given it.....
    Even you accept this as a valid point, you have to ask how he missed the 'rugby tackle'. If he did not see that then you have to query either his eyesight or his competence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Rugby tackle is a bit of an exaggeration wouldn't you think? He might have given it if Viduka didn't throw his hand up in the air making it look like a dive. As they say in the old cliche, I've seen penos given for more and for less.

In any event the better of the two teams went through despite the egotistical performance of Mr Poll. I have a lot of sympathy for referees but I don't actually like Poll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Interesting commentary on Poll here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...06/5108722.stm

Surprising that none of the Australians pointed out to Poll his error on the two yellows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast