Thread: Bohs Best Bet as League Opens With A Whimper

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Post Bohs best bet as League opens with a whimper

[unison.ie]

IT is the most closely guarded secret in the country but the word is now out the Eircom League kicks off this weekend.

Only the most fanatical League of Ireland follower would be aware that the new ten-team Premier Division gets underway this weekend such as been the deafening silence from Merrion Square and most of the clubs.

Considering that this early start is a new departure for the Eircom League and that we are coming out of a World Cup which Ireland participated in, the lack of pre-season publicity is amazing.

It is baffling that there have been no newspaper or poster adverts, never mind television or radio commercials, trumpeting the change in kick-off and the new format.

There hasn't even been the traditional media launch of the league.

So, all in all, it does not augur well for the chances of attracting people away from their normal summer pursuits.

And the image of the League hasn't been helped either by the decision of Longford Town to sack their manager Martin Lawlor, the man who came in and kept them in the Premier Division last season.

Longford's new chairman Jim Hanley, who succeeded Adrian Duncan at the club's annual general meeting on Tuesday night, informed Lawlor at lunchtime yesterday that the board had decided to dispense with his services.

"I'm baffled at the decision to dismiss me two days before the season starts. I don't know what the reason is," said Lawlor.

"I thought Longford had great potential but I was wrong. I'm disappointed, dismayed and genuinely shocked by this," said Lawlor.

Assistant manager Alan Matthews and coach Aaron Callaghan, who both joined the club during the close season, are likely to take charge of the side for tomorrow night's opening league game away to Bray.

So, without a ball being kicked, the Eircom League has once more generated controversy.

If ever an organisation needed a trouble-free period it is the Eircom League, but it will take excellent administration and a good deal of commonsense if that is to happen.

It is a shame that events off the field are dominating the start of this Eircom League because there is plenty to be excited about on the pitch.

This season's title race promises to be as tight as ever and once again it hard to see the championship leaving Dublin as the big four battle it out once again for the top honours.

Champions Shelbourne have a new player manager in Pat Fenlon and he faces a massive task to retain the title, given this is his first shot at management.

He has an experienced assistant in Johnny McDonnell and his decision to insist on all his full-time squad living within an hour of Dublin is a good start, even if it meant sacrificing Derry-based Peter Hutton.

Shels bitter rivals, St Patrick's Athletic, won't begin their League campaign until week three at least because of their Inter Toto Cup exploits.

They'll be playing catch-up, but they are well used to that in Inchicore where there is a burning desire to set the record straight this season.

Shamrock Rovers have a new manager in Liam Buckley, but the impending move to Tallaght has once again meant that there is little money to spend on players, so they'll be doing well if they bridge the gap on their full-time rivals.

The side that everybody has to beat this season is Bohemians. Stephen Kenny has had six months to settle in at Dalymount and not qualifying for Europe may help them early on as there won't be any distractions.

Kenny has wielded the axe and his first choice team looks a lot stronger than last season's outfit.

They've a new goalkeeper in Ashely Bayes, while Paul McNally and Derek Coughlan will strengthen the defence and Damien Lynch adds to the midfield.

Up front Paul Keegan should form a formidable partnership with Glenn Crowe and it's hard to look beyond Bohs when it comes to predicting the destination of the title.

Only one team will be relegated this season and that looks to be a battle between Drogheda and Longford, with Bray, UCD, Derry, Cork battling it out with Rovers to finish fourth.

Gerry McDermott

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking i would have

agreed with that before the season started. now i reckon its Bohs or Pats as favorites for the title. Cork and Derry will be there or thereabouts. Shels were woefull in Cork. Rovers may spring a surprise. this summer soccer lark may catch on