Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandywell Redevelopment

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Brandywell Redevelopment

Derry City have unveiled plans for a new £15 million stadium at the Brandywell.

The proposed development, which they hope to complete by 2012, is for a 6,000 all-seater stadium as part of a completely redeveloped Brandywell complex.

Also included in the plans, which go before planning authorities on Monday, are proposals for an indoor football complex, two retail units, a medical centre and a pharmacy.

There are, though, no plans under the current proposals, to include a dog-racing track.

The company formed specifically to formulate the plans and help raise the necessary funding is Brandywell Properties Limited.

It was named as the preferred bidder last week by Derry city council who currently own the Brandywell.

BPL chairman Jack McAuley said they were hopeful of securing the Brandywell site for a nominal fee.

"The Valuation and Lands Agency will decide that matter and we have had good feedback from them already on our plans," he said.

Derry City chief executive Jim Roddy said the future of the football club depended on the success of the scheme.

"Make no mistake about it, this has to work," he said.

"We have UEFA Cup ties coming up and because of current European regulations we will be limited to 2,200 people.

"It has reached the stage where we have to seriously look at taking games like that outside of our city."

The BPL will apply to a number of agencies including the Sports Council for Northern Ireland and the FAI for grant funding, but will still leave the club needing to raise a significant proportion of the £15million price tag itself.

"No stadium is build these days without commercial development as part of the deal," explained Mr McAuley.

"We have been in consultation with a number of interested parties, people who use the Brandywell already and community groups to plan as best we can this significant development."

If the planning application goes through, and several final details on the plans have yet to be ironed out, work should start by the spring of next year.

The last improvement to the Brandywell was the construction of the new stand in 1991, under the new plans the existing stands would be demolished

Sounds great but i'l not get excited till the builders are on site working.

rerun
    Any "artists impressions" of what it "might" look like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    From what I had vaguely gathered from your board the council said you had to include a dog track and pay for it or no deal?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The doggymen seem to be out of the equation as they simply haven't engaged with the process at all. Totally their own fault.

These plans look good and are a great step forward for Derry City- now there's just the small matter of raising the money to build this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway Harps
    The doggymen seem to be out of the equation as they simply haven't engaged with the process at all. Totally their own fault.
    Totally correct.

All the other stakeholders are delighted and wrote glowing letters of recommendation as part of the bid.

The doggie men didn't reponse to correspondance, turned down requests for meetings.....
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Does the 15 million pounds include the land price? It seems a lot for what's in that plan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    PS,

The land must be used for sporting means(under the convenant by which The Honourable The Irish Society handed the land over the City Council) and cannot be rezoned for housing etc.

Therefore the plan is that the 13.5 arces would be acquired for a nominal sum.

Those images are only the outline, and when the detailed plans are announced you will see why it'll take £15m

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    sounds great. but i wont hold my breath. good luck though
    although 6000 seems a bit on the small side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto eile
    sounds great. but i wont hold my breath. good luck though
    although 6000 seems a bit on the small side
    Well considering its surrounded by houses its as big as its going to get unless the stadium is moved a 100m down to the other side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    6,000 does seem a bit on the small side...can they add a second tier to the new stadium ? If they can then it would be an fairly good development. £15million does seem a bit on the big side though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    6000 does seem rather small but if you consider how many fans we get at matches it wud be big enuff for us. It is such a costly proposal because of the other things around the stadium like the dome covered pitches and the retail outlets. Until everything is sorted and signed i am not going to hold my breath

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Its a 13 acre site - this is the overall cost of developing the site not just the stadium.

My initial thoughts were that the stadium was quite small - but you could count on 1 hand how many times we have had crowds of 6000/7000 in the last 10 years. I think its a realistic size.

Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    6,000 does seem a bit on the small side...can they add a second tier to the new stadium ? If they can then it would be an fairly good development. £15million does seem a bit on the big side though.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Wouldn't worry about it being too small. If you can get 6000 on a regular basis the money will soon be found to make it bigger methinks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    good to see, thats you bohs shels cork and the drogs sorted. I can see pats being keft behind..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    yeah, great to see another Eircom League club getting its grounds sorted out. 6 years could be shorter though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    yeah, great to see another Eircom League club getting its grounds sorted out. 6 years could be shorter though.
    It could but alot of stuff is going into it, i expect the stadium to be completed in 2009 with everything else coming afterwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    2009 FANTASTIC ! How many clubs is that now that are getting their house in order.

(monaghan united and Limerick FC take note:P)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sports facilities international will be building the new stadium so it will be along the same lines as Harps, Drogs and Cobh. Does Drogs new stadium have the potential for expansaion? If so then I would expect we would be able to up the capacity if the barstoolers suddenly became interested in LoI.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy
    It could but alot of stuff is going into it, i expect the stadium to be completed in 2009 with everything else coming afterwards.
    Other way round Dazzy, the primary development will be the rest of the site, which will help to fund the stadium development

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast