Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahon to retire?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts

Mahon to retire?

Interesting quote in the Star on Sunday in a full-page interview with Pete Mahon. It's the usual stuff about how the FAI are a pack of idiots and the new league proposals won't actually do anything, but there's a bit towards the end where it says "Mahon wryly points out that he probably won't be involved in the game by the time Delaney's vision comes to fruition."

Don't know if that means he's planning his retirement in the next two or three years, if he doubts that the vision/proposals will ever happen or if he just thinks that progress will be the usual slow progress so that it'll be years and years away before anything happens. Interesting little dropped sentence though...

Also moans about facilities again - the lack of showers in Drogheda comes up, as does the case of blocked toilets at a First Division ground we played a pre-season friendly at (obivously Athlone). Presumably the article was written before the Kilkenny game! He also says there should be two clubs in Dublin again, which I don't agree with, and says the ten-team Premier is basically Ollie ("three or four big clubs") wanting mroe money from more big games without the interests of the league overall in mind.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 30/05/2006 at 7:31 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Interesting quote in the Star on Sunday in a full-page interview with Pete Mahon. It's the usual stuff about how the FAI are a pack of idiots and the new league proposals won't actually do anything, but there's a bit towards the end where it says "Mahon wryly points out that he probably won't be involved in the game by the time Delaney's vision comes to fruition."

Don't know if that means he's planning his retirement in the next two or three years, if he doubts that the vision/proposals will ever happen or if he just thinks that progress will be the usual slow progress so that it'll be years and years away before anything happens. Interesting little dropped sentence though...

Also moans about facilities again - the lack of showers in Drogheda comes up, as does the case of blocked toilets at a First Division ground we played a pre-season friendly at (obivously Athlone). Presumably the article was written before the Kilkenny game! He also says there should be two clubs in Dublin again, which I don't agree with, and says the ten-team Premier is basically Ollie ("three or four big clubs") wanting mroe money from more big games without the interests of the league overall in mind.
    Well he might well be about to retire, I think he is over 60 stu! He played League of Ireland footie with Drums and they left the League in 1972.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I wouldn't be too sad to see the back of him. Tactically he has not been up to it this season. However things may change for the better. I'd say look at things at the end of the season anyway and see how he has done.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well they might promote from within if he does retire. Martin Russell would probably get the promotion to main man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Im available and will it to do it for a sum. Heres my credentials please forward to the necessary people http://www.ucdsoccer.com/super/compe...p?division=366
    We are the U the U the UCDD!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandmythdledge
    I wouldn't be too sad to see the back of him. Tactically he has not been up to it this season. However things may change for the better. I'd say look at things at the end of the season anyway and see how he has done.
    You weren't around for the Doolin 'era', were you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Pete Mahon has been a vital figure for UCD. His contribution to the club has been immense. Doolin had severely damaged this club to the point where we had sunk without a trace in the Premier Division and struggled to field an U-21 team, let alone ensure our usual conveyor belt of talent. Mahon almost saved the club from certain relegation, restored us to the Premier Division immediately, restored proper structure to the club and restarted the conveyor belt of talent and have given us some decent cup runs. His appointment was a masterstroke. I'd sorely hate to see him leave the club. I think that even if he retires as manager he should be kept on to oversee the club in some sort of general manager form if possible.

Pineapple, I've read all those quotes before. Sounds rehashed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Pete Mahon has been a vital figure for UCD. His contribution to the club has been immense. Doolin had severely damaged this club to the point where we had sunk without a trace in the Premier Division and struggled to field an U-21 team, let alone ensure our usual conveyor belt of talent. Mahon almost saved the club from certain relegation, restored us to the Premier Division immediately, restored proper structure to the club and restarted the conveyor belt of talent and have given us some decent cup runs. His appointment was a masterstroke. I'd sorely hate to see him leave the club. I think that even if he retires as manager he should be kept on to oversee the club in some sort of general manager form if possible.

Pineapple, I've read all those quotes before. Sounds rehashed.
    Ye I agree we would have been lost without him but I think he has taken the club as far as he can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    You weren't around for the Doolin 'era', were you?
    I was in fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmandmythdledge
    Ye I agree we would have been lost without him but I think he has taken the club as far as he can.
    I think I'd agree to an extent about the tactical side of things at times, but against that, I can't think of anyone better for the job, to be honest. There's no other club in the country turning up Gary Dickers, Darren Quigleys, Paul Byrnes, Ronan Finns and the likes as often as we are, and no other club iwth as many current Ireland U-21 regulars as we have. We just can't seem to make the jump up to top half of the table at the moment. If we could go full-time, we'd have a bloody good team!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In all fairness I don't think Mahon can take all the credit for those players, UCD had been turning out players long before he was their. The fact that the college also gives these players an education also helps get them in the door. What tactics ? your two full backs just pump the ball forward at any chance your midfielders never have an option to pass and your two lads up front just chase balls down all day. Also I even if Mahon had the chance to go full time he wouldn't I reckon it's to late in the day for him to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegit
    In all fairness I don't think Mahon can take all the credit for those players, UCD had been turning out players long before he was their.
    It's pretty much down to him and his assistant Wallace. There's no vast scouting network, they identify the players themselves. Doolan couldn't do it while he was there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its time to bring in the Rod. Out with the prima donna students and in with vinnny jones and more of the wimbledon old gang
    We are the U the U the UCDD!!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So all those players who started out with UCD and are now playing for other E.L. clubs is down to Mahon and Wallace. And there is other clubs turning out players like those pinapple mentioned the clubs are called Cherry Orchard, st Josephs boys and many more school boy clubs who have nurtured the players since they've been kids. Come on 1 or 2 years at UCD wont make a player they just give they a platform to show what they can do, if other el clubs would take the chance on the younger lads maybe UCD wouldn't get as many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    I meant finding the players, not 100% developing them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    come on its not hard to find a player who actually comes from dublin and is playing for a big school boy club. He's hardly Harry Rednapp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Then why's no other club doing it as well as us? The scholarship scheme can only go so far - we've signed players from other clubs' reserves who go pretty much immediately become highly respected eL players (e.g. Kenna, Quigley, Gannon, etc). Also, the scholarship scheme is not unique to us, so doesn't account for our success in that area.

Why don't the country teams find as many good players? Derry, Cork and the likes?

Bottom line - Mahon and Wallace have a very effective scouting network out and should be commended for it.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have to disagree i think they just take chances on players because they have no option, Mahon has signed the odd stinker as well. Remember all those players have played in your u21 before coming into the first team. The other clubs cant afford to take chances on kids which i think is S*** by the way, the country clubs will find it hard to get young Dublin player to sign for them only to sit in the reserves maybe thats why you get these players, all the ones mentioned are from dublin.... or ask your self why these players didnt come to UCD first? i htink for alot of them it's a plan B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    For something as random as you make out, we've got a bloody good success rate with it!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ok so where is the new batch of players coming through? i reckon if you loose Hurley, Dicker, Byrne and Quigley along with Kenna or Finn, do you think pete will stick around ? Hurley Dicker byrne , Quigley and Kenna are with you over 2 years . Me thinks you did well to get those players all together at the one time and I dont think thats going to happen again maybe the odd one or two but not 5 or 6 at the one time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast