Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Humphries in Saturday's Times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Tom Humphries in Saturday's Times

Anybody read Tom Humphries in saturday's times.

He slagged off the F.A.I. big time conjuring up images of semi naked council members and while i imagine it would not be a pretty sight I suppose the F.A.I. council is not picked on good looks and great bodies. I assume the Irish Times do use these criteria to pick their GAA columnists.

What was disturbing though was his claim that the F.A.I. officials sang "you can stick your GAA up your arse" on the flight back from Belfast in 1994 (assume he meant 1993) after qualifying for the World Cup.

I've checked the story with a friend of mine who is an Irish fan and was on the flight. He is also heavily involved in the GAA and claims he heard no such thing. I've also checked it with another excellent source who said it was total rubbish. He didn't see the article but said it was simply not true.

Now I didn't come back until the following day and can't remember if I got the Times that day but certainly would have been a regular reader and can't recall any such claim at the time. Indeed some of the more prominent football officials at the time (and indeed now) are actually GAA fans.

I know a GAA fan on some messageboard did make the claim at the time of the opening of Croke Park debate but there was no source and I assumed it was just made up propaganda.

I did try the online edition but the archives don't appear to go back to 1993 from the searches althogh I don't have an online sub.

Anybody know

1) was he actually there - have to assume he was?

2) Did he cover the incident at the time in his column? If he was and it happened then he surely would have

I have my own theory on where the story came from as a group of Irish fans in Vilnius in June 1993 did sing "If you hate the GAA clap your hands" and some other ditties at a postmatch singsong although there wasn't an F.A.I. official in sight. I think some one of their nearderthal bigots had made some derogatory comment about football a few days earlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    here ya go
    You can stick your soccer up . . .

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/spo...LIPSPSQUI.html

The GAA now has the World Cup threat down pat, writes Tom Humphries. It will be a classic summer

Some people say that the most distressing thing they have ever witnessed was the frank footage beamed without warning from the Irish team hotel during the last World Cup. Readers of a delicate disposition should skip a few paragraphs right now, but those still with us will shiver and perhaps vomit as they recall the horrific images of those tubby FAI officials jiggling around the lobby of their plush Japanese hotel wearing naught but their skimpy bathing costumes.

A friend of mine, more articulate than I and more tuned to the zeitgeist of the nation, neatly captured the feelings of an entire people when he said, "Ugh, jaysus, get those wackjobs off the telly".

Now, every hell is personal, and I'm not saying that soccer's voluptuous alickadoos shouldn't be required to keep their Pammy-style manboobs beneath their blazers as nature intended - I'm just saying I have seen worse. I have been to that floor in Beelzebub's mansion where you would gladly fork over your last euro for the distraction of a saucy table-dance from a fuller-figured FAI official.

Yep. Once, in the bad old days during the cold war, I had the misfortune to be on the team plane after Ireland's soccer team had qualified for the 1994 World Cup.

I say misfortune, because as we landed amid much mirth and jollity, a roseate crew of soccer blazers sashayed as they crooned a cappella version of their favourite hymn, You Can Stick Your GAA Up Your Ass. It was a display offered up in a spirit of craven lasciviousness. Human decency was offended, but too shy to say anything.

Yes, into a night of genuine national unity and celebration such as was that dreamy evening in Windsor Park, the FAI managed to insert, well, the crude suggestion of insertion. For those of us who regularly worship in the Cathedral by the Canal, it was an alarming moment. Were events to unfold as expected, we would soon be following the lyrical instructions of our new lords and masters. Croker would become the Cathedral by the Colon, and Irish summers would be longer than arctic winters, but shorter than Frank Murphy speeches.

In my sleep, I had uneasy dreams. I heard wild talk of interning GAA members, talk stirred up by the sort of paid guttersnipes who deemed the words BogBall and StickBall to be the greatest witticism every uttered outside the confines of a Bernard Manning gig. In my sleep, I became a well-paid informer to these people, but when I awoke I was still poor. No, pure.

It's strange to reflect on this now, but at that moment Ireland's second successive World Cup qualification could easily have delivered the GAA into a palsy from which it might never have recovered.

For Gaels, reared in the belief that inappropriate contact with soccer is the root cause of most major illnesses (and possibly the Famine), it was a bitter pill to swallow.

But swallow it they would. The response was slow and weak. You will remember the summer of Italia '90 when, to mark Ireland's first venture on to the stage of world soccer, the GAA obligingly coughed up one of the most stunningly tedious championship seasons in living memory.

To make matters worse, they topped the metagloom with a bizarre act of hara-kiri when Cork were permitted to win the double. Only the sight of Dr Tony O'Reilly winning the lottery would have brought more joy to our little nation.

It was Jack Charlton's world and we were destined to live in it (or, to use the vernacular, to "fanny aboot" in it). The GAA might as well have scraped together a delegation to travel to Switzerland to officially hand the other 31 counties over to soccer, or Ground Ball, as many of us still called soccer with our merciless wit.

Once again (as in 1974, the time of the Dutch Total Football scare), it took Dublin to rescue the nation from the quicksands of global homogeneity. The following summer, 1991, Dublin toyed with Meath like a cat pawing a petrified mouse. During an incredible series of four games which gripped the imagination of the entire country, Dublin saved civilisation.

Their work done, the noble Dubs gallantly permitted the mouse to devour them, knowing that the clawed and scarred Meath team would stagger onwards to September when they would be exterminated by Down.

And lo, it came to pass.

And the night after it had come to pass Paddy O'Rourke walked the Sam Maguire across an invisible line which the GAA delicately described as the historic border between Leinster and Ulster, but every Gael knew that the GAA had gotten an international dimension for itself.

Grown men, hardened stoics who had seen dark deeds performed at junior football games and had said nothing when questioned in A&E later, were moved to weep.

Since then, the GAA has been a little livelier on its feet anytime a World Cup comes around. In 1998, with characteristic graciousness and noble self-sacrifice, Dublin permitted Kildare to beat them in a replayed game in an early round of the Leinster championship.

Historians will recall that the arrangement actually required Kildare to win on the first day, but Kildare bottled it and many Dublin players had to cancel holidays for the replay.

The Lily Whites took the replay by a point, and thus pumped full of confidence went on to claim their first Leinster title since 1956, a novelty which completely overshadowed France's World Cup win, even for the French.

Better was to come, as Galway managed to squeeze out their first All-Ireland in 32 years that September, and as they made their historic journey carrying Sam in the vanguard back across the Corrib, the bonfires blazed and the western night was cut with a beautiful and haunting rendition of You Can Stick Your Zinedine Zidane Up Your Ass.

By 2002, the GAA had the World Cup threat down pat and the quadrennial international series took another twist. The football championship was as choreographed as a pro-wrestling bout, but UK favourites Armagh, the self-described Cinderella County, were crowned All-Ireland champions, having turned the tables on the Republic's traditional ugly sisters, Dublin and Kerry, along the way.

World Cups come and go now, and the GAA, remarkably, is insulated against even the severest weather fronts of global hype. The rural-based amateur organisation which depends on volunteerism to promote and preserve our indigenous games is preparing to become landlord to the FAI.

The realms of BogBall and StickBall absorb great oceans of corporate cash every year, and whatever joys and spectacles a World Cup brings, the GAA has learned to have confidence in the appeal of its own joys and spectacles.

There was no need for triumphalism on the plane from Belfast in 1994 and no call for GAA triumphalism now. The World Cup has been good to the GAA. Since 1966, Croke Park has been responding and reacting and adapting to the challenge.

This summer promises a feast of sport, and the World Cup people have wisely kept the best of the first round ties away from Sunday afternoons in June; in fact, clever timing by Fifa means that it should be possible to watch Dublin and Laois on June 25th and get home for England's second-round exit later that evening.

So accustomed is the GAA by now to responding to the threat offered by soccer that news of Wayne Rooney's broken toe had no sooner surfaced than the GAA responded with Brian McGuigan's unfortunate leg break.

It's going to be a great World Cup and it's going to be a great football summer. Surely, after all they have done to make the games safe for ordinary people, it's Dublin's turn to win in September?

No?

Italy and Kerry then, in a season for resurgent traditionalists.

© The Irish Times

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    interesting post - humphreys can get carried away on occassions and when it comes to GAA v soccer he is always gonna be biased towards GAA. The thing with Humphreys - it's more of an opinion piece where he doesnt stick to objective reporting.

the allegations re the song on the plane, fair enough might be result of a bit of poetic license. If this was a journalist knocking the GAA would you be investigating it the same way? Just a curiousity really - i have no idea of youre opinions on the GAA and maybe you were just interested as you know people who were there and cant recall any of it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Humphries has the blinkers on big time when it comes to the GAA. Sure didn't he go to Joey's though so he ain't all bad
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    He wears his GAA badge on his sleeve and has published 150 reasons why the GAA is better than soccer - so no doubts where is loyalty lies. He's a good writer but his pen is poisoned towards soccer.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    He took great pleasure in the whole Saipan affair.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oconghc2
    interesting post - humphreys can get carried away on occassions and when it comes to GAA v soccer he is always gonna be biased towards GAA. The thing with Humphreys - it's more of an opinion piece where he doesnt stick to objective reporting.

the allegations re the song on the plane, fair enough might be result of a bit of poetic license. If this was a journalist knocking the GAA would you be investigating it the same way? Just a curiousity really - i have no idea of youre opinions on the GAA and maybe you were just interested as you know people who were there and cant recall any of it.
    I don't like the way he snipes at local football whether it be the national team or the EL.

I have no interest in the GAA so no I wouldn't be as bothered if it was a football or rugby journalist writing about the GAA although I don't like sloppy journalism and fact getting screwed up.

The online archive only goes back to 1996. I will at some stage get to the library to check his reports of the time and if he reported it then I will have to believe it happened. However the GAA guy who claimed it happened last year failed to provide a source and frankly in November the GAA would be the last thing on anybody's mind. I suspect it is a mishmash of the Lithuania incident in 1993 which involved a group of fans and not F.A.I. officials. The fact that he got the year wrong in his article would imply he was more likely writing from memory rather than checking sources.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've said before on this forum and I'll say it again, Humphreys is a p!ss poor excuse for a writer. For some reason he's been glorified (for want of a better word) by certain people in recent years. I would bet that most people on this forum know more about football than he does. He regularly get his facts wrong and his memory is somewhat blurred. In addition to that, he's second behind Hyland in terms of writing trash.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    His biography of Quinn was a good read though as football books go. As an impartial observer of Irish soccer, to use an Americanism, "he sucks".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    I've said before on this forum and I'll say it again, Humphreys is a p!ss poor excuse for a writer. For some reason he's been glorified (for want of a better word) by certain people in recent years. I would bet that most people on this forum know more about football than he does. He regularly get his facts wrong and his memory is somewhat blurred. In addition to that, he's second behind Hyland in terms of writing trash.
    humphries is an excellent writer. you only have to read some of the pap that gets written on here to see how talented he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Humphries is an excellent writer but is biased towards the GAA and that does cloud his judgement when writing about football. A great writer but not a great journalist in my view.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    Anybody read Tom Humphries in saturday's times.

He slagged off the F.A.I. big time conjuring up images of semi naked council members and while i imagine it would not be a pretty sight I suppose the F.A.I. council is not picked on good looks and great bodies. I assume the Irish Times do use these criteria to pick their GAA columnists.

What was disturbing though was his claim that the F.A.I. officials sang "you can stick your GAA up your arse" on the flight back from Belfast in 1994 (assume he meant 1993) after qualifying for the World Cup.

I've checked the story with a friend of mine who is an Irish fan and was on the flight. He is also heavily involved in the GAA and claims he heard no such thing. I've also checked it with another excellent source who said it was total rubbish. He didn't see the article but said it was simply not true.

Now I didn't come back until the following day and can't remember if I got the Times that day but certainly would have been a regular reader and can't recall any such claim at the time. Indeed some of the more prominent football officials at the time (and indeed now) are actually GAA fans.

I know a GAA fan on some messageboard did make the claim at the time of the opening of Croke Park debate but there was no source and I assumed it was just made up propaganda.

I did try the online edition but the archives don't appear to go back to 1993 from the searches althogh I don't have an online sub.

Anybody know

1) was he actually there - have to assume he was?

2) Did he cover the incident at the time in his column? If he was and it happened then he surely would have

I have my own theory on where the story came from as a group of Irish fans in Vilnius in June 1993 did sing "If you hate the GAA clap your hands" and some other ditties at a postmatch singsong although there wasn't an F.A.I. official in sight. I think some one of their nearderthal bigots had made some derogatory comment about football a few days earlier.
    Good post Gspain. Why don't you contact the Irish Times sports dept about it? sports@irish-times.ie, ph 01 6758366 - the editor is Malachy Logan.

I like Tom Humphries and there's definitely a place for his style in Irish sports journalism. In fact, given the likes of the Evening Herald and the tabloids, we should be grateful for him. But he does make a serious charge against the FAI and it should be accurate.

I have a feeling that some of the posters here, however, may be mistaking his obvious disdain for the FAI for a dislike of football in general. He loves GAA games, that's obvious, but his writings suggest that he loves soccer just as much (he had a Lockerroom about Leeds a few weeks ago, his boyhood team). It's the FAI and the unpleasant elements of football that he writes about.

In fairness to the posters here, though, his 101 reasons for GAA versus soccer was based more on the friendly, community stuff of the GAA versus the corporate, advertising, diving, cheating element of soccer so it wasn't a fair comparison at all.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    As said above, Humphreys is a great sports writer, though not necessarily a great journalist.

His stance on Michelle Smith was admirable, and subsequently justified.

However, I think he was acting out of self-interest in the infamous Saipan interview & I feel he was irresponsible to have it published.

He has often come up with a few fibs in the past to make his point. I remember one article saying as a kid he & his mates used to bunk into Sutton Golf Course just to play. However, his description of the course bore no resemblance to the real course so I suspect he was making it up for effect. Maybe the same applies to the FAI / GAA remark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    However, I think he was acting out of self-interest in the infamous Saipan interview & I feel he was irresponsible to have it published......
    I am glad you pointed this out Stuttgart, I was waiting for someone to mention it.

You are spot-on and IMO Humphries was the catalyst of the way the whole incident unfolded. Totally irresponsible journalism, the kind you would expect from some of the red tops.

A pity though, I used to think that Tom Humphries and Vincent Hogan were the two best sports writers (not reporters) in Ireland but Humphries went down in my estimation after that sad day.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    He took great pleasure in the whole Saipan affair.
    Did he not cause the whole Saipan affair?
    As an experienced journalist, he must have been well aware of the likely consequences of publishing that interview.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    I am glad you pointed this out Stuttgart, I was waiting for someone to mention it.

You are spot-on and IMO Humphries was the catalyst of the way the whole incident unfolded. Totally irresponsible journalism, the kind you would expect from some of the red tops.

A pity though, I used to think that Tom Humphries and Vincent Hogan were the two best sports writers (not reporters) in Ireland but Humphries went down in my estimation after that sad day.
    in a follow-up interview with Roy Keane about two years ago, i think, he also brings up the Saipan issue again.

but when TH questions Roy about it, he says, "it's in the past, no need to bring it up again" .... which was all TH needed to remind us of all the details with his particular - unbalanced - slant on the affair.

complete self interest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Good post Gspain. Why don't you contact the Irish Times sports dept about it? sports@irish-times.ie, ph 01 6758366 - the editor is Malachy Logan.

I like Tom Humphries and there's definitely a place for his style in Irish sports journalism. In fact, given the likes of the Evening Herald and the tabloids, we should be grateful for him. But he does make a serious charge against the FAI and it should be accurate.

I have a feeling that some of the posters here, however, may be mistaking his obvious disdain for the FAI for a dislike of football in general. He loves GAA games, that's obvious, but his writings suggest that he loves soccer just as much (he had a Lockerroom about Leeds a few weeks ago, his boyhood team). It's the FAI and the unpleasant elements of football that he writes about.

In fairness to the posters here, though, his 101 reasons for GAA versus soccer was based more on the friendly, community stuff of the GAA versus the corporate, advertising, diving, cheating element of soccer so it wasn't a fair comparison at all.
    Will do but I want to get my own facts right first of all.

Need to check if he wrote about it in Nov 1993. If so then he may well be right. However I doubt if he did.

I have no doubt he likes/loves Leeds. I've seen no evidence that he has any interest in or love for domestic club football. He normally snipes about the national team too apart from being a huge Kerr fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    I remember Kerr gave an interview to the Irish Times and Hogan wrote an article in the Indo with all the points he disagreed with. I couldn't believe how he twisted so many of the quotes. There was lines added to quotes, there were seperate quotes being added together to make it look like something else. He was so anti-Kerr that he was making up stuff just to try and get the public against him. As someone said on here at the time, it was like he was replying to posts on an internet forum the journalism was so bad. "He said" "We say".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    don't like his flippant style (used subscribe to the times online), thought that kimble fella was good though, grittier if i remember correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It's George Kimball you're thinking of and he is a legend!
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast