Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: International call-up for Jason Byrne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

International call-up for Jason Byrne

Shels Web

Well that's a big surprise, I couldn't see anyone from the eL getting a call, especially not Jayo (Must be going by reputation)
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    If they had to pick a Shels player why didn't they pick O'Neill. Byrne is ****e this season and as you say, reputation is all they're going on.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Congrats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    It seems like it is going on reputation and not on current form. If anyone deserves it, it's Gary O'Neill. And what about George O'Callaghan and Jason Gavin???

Is Byrne likely to feature when it is a squad of 29??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc
    And what about George O'Callaghan
    Ah come on now, we don't want to end up getting players sent off for diving now do we? .
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsBohsBohs
    If Byrne is in the squad then clearly it is a meaningless token gesture. Disappointing.
    Very disappointing given Byrne's form. If youre going to give a token place at least bother to find out who's playing well

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I think the whole point is Stan's looking at as many players as he can, so if he gets stuck for a few injuries, he knows who's around to call up for cover.

Anyone got the squad? Nothing on FAI.ie and Aertel mention Byrne and all without actually giving the squad.

Edit - here it is. Terry Dixon?!

(Presume there's a thread in the Ireland forum as well...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Foley's not in.

In fairness, Byrne's been the top scorer in the league in the last three seasons and is joint-top again this year, so if he's not good enough, no-one is. (Though I'm aware he has a tendencey to miss far too many gilt-edged chances)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Ah come on now, we don't want to end up getting players sent off for diving now do we? .
    He might get a Chilean player sent off by using his sublime skills to frustrate his opponents and leads to one of them kicking the ankles off him. Thats what usually happens right??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Lads forgive my ignorance but if anyone from the league is going to be called up why not Joe Gamble???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I suppose it depends on the positions the senior team is short in as well. We're well covered in centre-mid with Kavanagh, Reid, Quinn, Kilbane and others, but we're traditionally shy of depth up front.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It seems like it is going on reputation and not on current form. If anyone deserves it, it's Gary O'Neill. And what about George O'Callaghan and Jason Gavin???

lads yeer showing yeer club colours on this one. the reason byrne is in is coz of ability to score regularly and because ireland are badly short up front. jason gavin is well behind the other defenders in the squad (even gary breen!). as for george o'c, he definitely has the class, but i think stan is lookin for a forward who will hold the ball up and lead the line. goc plays off the front man which is not really something that we've ever done too well at international level.

hopefully he'll do ok but its a big step up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    I suppose it depends on the positions the senior team is short in as well. We're well covered in centre-mid with Kavanagh, Reid, Quinn, Kilbane and others, but we're traditionally shy of depth up front.
    Maybe living so close to Cork has made me lose all sense of perspective and reality but would Mr. Gamble not do just as good a job in the centre of the park as journeymen like Kavanagh and Quinn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Eh, no. I think you have lost all sense of reality with that post, with respect. This is Graham Kavanagh who has been one of Wigan's most consistent performers in a season they finished top half of the Premiership and got to a League Cup Final. Alan Quinn also has won promotion to the Premiership and is, I think, usually one of their better players. Both have done well for Ireland whenever they've played.

What's your definition of a journeyman, incidentally? Is it someone who's had lots of clubs? Kavanagh stayed at Cardiff far too long for his own good out of loyalty. Quinn's only ever been at Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday, I think. Or is it someone who ends up at a lower club? Like Gamble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jebus did anyone notice Fintan's Spelling in the report on shels web ffs he even spelt Shelbourne incorrectly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor
    Jebus did anyone notice Fintan's Spelling in the report on shels web ffs he even spelt Shelbourne incorrectly
    The fact that he spelt Shelbourne "Shelbyrne", I was wondering was he trying to be funny considering Byrne got the call up?.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm delighted for him. Steve Staunton could just as easily have not named an EL player, and the wider public would not have batted an eyelid. It will always be good for the league to have a player in the international squad. Jason Byrne has been producing the goods for long enough to be near the top of any homebased queue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    What's your definition of a journeyman, incidentally? Is it someone who's had lots of clubs? Kavanagh stayed at Cardiff far too long for his own good out of loyalty. Quinn's only ever been at Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday, I think. Or is it someone who ends up at a lower club? Like Gamble?
    Yep you pretty much caught me by the proverbials with that post

A journeyman to me really just means a mediocre player. I suppose what I was trying to say is that with meaningless friendlies are players like Gamble, Heary etc.. not worth a shot

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's certainly better to have one player representing the league in the squad than none at all. And we're certainly in need of something new upfront. Hopefully he'll get some style of a run out.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigball
    lads yeer showing yeer club colours on this one. the reason byrne is in is coz of ability to score regularly and because ireland are badly short up front. jason gavin is well behind the other defenders in the squad (even gary breen!). as for george o'c, he definitely has the class, but i think stan is lookin for a forward who will hold the ball up and lead the line. goc plays off the front man which is not really something that we've ever done too well at international level.

hopefully he'll do ok but its a big step up.
    Heard it all now.Gary Breen is ****.Jason gavin is playing great football for Drogheda.Had a poor game against Shels ,but could step up to this level.The most experienced player in our leauge at a high level i.e the priemiership.As for boy george his fukcin head would explode if he got a call up ..Unbearable !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast