Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Irish players to watch in the UK in 2006/07

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    C'mon slight exagerration - Tabb isn't as fat as Andy Reid. He's about an inch taller and half a stone lighter. Andy Reid could eat Jay Tabb.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    I think Tabb's a fine player but won't cut it as a forward which is where he's mainly played for IRL U21s. soccerc on this site has long maintained that he's got the making of a quality midfielder though, and I agree. Is he playing wide-right youngirish or is he playing centrally? I thought it was the latter but am open to correction. Talented player definitely.

Hayes was the only inclusion I was surprised to see. Garvan, Foley & Supple are the ones I'd expect most from in the near term, maybe also Keogh & Tabb. Clarke was unlucky to get injured last year just as he was getting a look-in at Ipswich but he's got plenty of time.

I think pete's being a bit unfair in picking out Ward's ommission. His form has not gone unnoticed even by the English-based posters on foot.ie. Likewise O'Donovan. I think youngirish was simply pointing out those players likely to progress next year, but "under the radar", i.e., without the attention of the Irish print media who are obsessed with the Premiership but who DO cover domestic football. I know many people who could tell you who the best domestically based Irish players are but who haven't a rashers who the likes of Garvan etc are, let alone Andy Keogh. Good post.

I'd like to see Darren Randolph get first team action, maybe in The Championship, and of the Irish at Celtic it looks like O'Dea is closest to making an impact.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/03/2006 at 2:02 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia
    David Bell at Luton is a real class act
    Have you seen much of him? I've only seen him on TV during the World Cup for U20s in the UAE in 2003(?). He looked like a really skillful player and I've been surprised he was playing as low down the divisions as he has been. Has he been getting his game since he moved to Luton?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I've seen him a few times & he always looked to have plenty of time on the ball in a kick & rush environment. Lots of class. A bit like Kinsella in so far as everyone knew he was the best player in the division, although has not has to wait as long for a move.

He has carried an injury since his move to Luton, so just a few appearances as sub.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia
    Marcos Painter at Birmingham is surely one of our hotest prospects.
    True, he is a good prospect and was immeasurably better at left back against the Swiss under 21s in Tolka than Sheahan was against the French in Cork. But last night.......Mary Mother of Jesus ya had to feel sorry for him. Gerrard ate him alive. I haven't seen a full back given such a roasting all season (although Melchiot was giving him a run for his money on the other flank). The poor lad will never have such a difficult game again and I'm sure it was a one-off in extremely testing circumstances, but I just hope his confidence doesn't take a battering. You just had to feel really sorry for him.
    Last edited by bluemovie; 22/03/2006 at 10:13 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I reckon it could actually work in Painter's favour if Birmingham were relegated this year as he's still young and he'd undoubtedly get more opportunites in the first team next season. I'd prefer to see him as a future Ireland centre back instead of a left back though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish
    Billy Clarke
    Position: Striker
    Club: Ipswich

One of the stars of the Ipswich Youth team's FA Cup win last season Clarke is a small but fast and skillful striker who has made a handful of appearances for Ipswich this season. He should get more first team outings next season but considering he's only just turned 18 he has time on his side.
    Just gone on loan to Colchester, joining Mark Yeates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Just gone on loan to Colchester, joining Mark Yeates.
    be great to see him down there and score a few goals....whats the story with yeates, he just does not seem to score enough goals for a striker?!?! i think he may have been onthe wing for a bit but i remember the same thing on loan last season. He will surely have to find the back of the net with a bit more frequency and leave spurs if he wants to achieve his apparent potential

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    be great to see him down there and score a few goals....whats the story with yeates, he just does not seem to score enough goals for a striker?!?! i think he may have been onthe wing for a bit but i remember the same thing on loan last season. He will surely have to find the back of the net with a bit more frequency and leave spurs if he wants to achieve his apparent potential
    I agree. Yeates doesn't seem to be progressing as well as I would have hoped for a couple of seasons ago and just never seems to score enough goals. In fairness though I think he's been employed more on the wing for Colchester this season but even as a winger his goal return is crap.

Good news about Clarke. Doubt if he'll start many games as Colchester are in with a chance of promotion but he should make a few substitute appearances.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    this seems to bode well for Shane Long (and Hayes), scores one and sets up the other 3...

Hayes and Long star as Reading win

The Reading reserves defeated Luton 4-0 at Madejski Stadium yesterday, with Shane Long scoring one and setting up the other three.

Strike partner Simon Cox doubled the lead after Long's opener, and Jonathan Hayes then scored either side of half time.

Graham Stack made an important save in the early stages to deny Enoch Showumni when clean through on goal at 0-0.

Boss Brian McDermott was very satisfied with his team's display, telling readingfc.co.uk, "I have to say I really enjoyed that.

"I thought we played really well, we looked a good side. We went about it the right way and can come out of it with a lot of credit.

"We scored some terrific goals, they really were out of the top drawer. On top of that, we worked our socks off out of possession.

"Everyone was excellent and it was a very good day for us. Hopefully it's the start of things leading up to a big, big, game on Saturday."

After a scrappy start to the game, Reading began to take charge and had their first chance after 13 minutes when a poor defensive clearance was controlled by Simon Church who cut inside from the right and curled a left-footed shot goalwards that Dean Brill saved.

Midway through the half Jonathan Hayes produced a delightful backheel to send Scott Golbourne into the area, and the left-back's low cross caused problems for the Luton defence before the ball was finally scrambled clear.

The opener came after 28 minutes when Hayes broke down the left and released a pass to youngster Church, who showed great composure to pick out Shane Long at the far post, and the Irish striker thumped a firm header into the net.

Two minutes later the lead was doubled when impressive defender Alex Pearce played a ball down the right, and although Long seemed to control with his arm play was allowed to continue. Long reached the byline before producing a wonderful cross that Simon Cox headed home from close range.

Another goal followed three minutes before the interval, as Michael Dobson played a ball down the right and again Long gave chase to deliver another excellent cross to the far post, where Hayes arrived to smash home a first-time right-footed volley from 15 yards.

The fourth goal came early in the second period, when Stack's clearance was nodded on by Long and Hayes raced into the area, holding off a defender to fire a low shot into the near post.

Reading were well in control, and after 55 minutes Conor Sinnott found Church, who broke down the right to release Long, and his cross was met by Cox's acrobatic volley, but on this occasion Brill produced a good reflex save.

With an hour played Church cut inside from the right to drill a left-footed shot straight at the keeper, and ten minutes later Hayes and Cox combined to find Long, who hesitated with the goal at his mercy and the chance disappeared.

The final opening came with seven minutes remaining when captain Dobson tried his luck with a 30-yard volley, but his well-struck effort was kept out by Brill's good diving save.

Reading: Stack, Halls, Golbourne, Brown, Pearce, Dobson (c), Sinnott, Church, Hayes, Cox, Long (Rendell 75)
    Subs: Bygrave, Joseph-Dubois

Courtesy of Reading FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I agree. Yeates doesn't seem to be progressing as well as I would have hoped for a couple of seasons ago and just never seems to score enough goals. In fairness though I think he's been employed more on the wing for Colchester this season but even as a winger his goal return is crap.

Good news about Clarke. Doubt if he'll start many games as Colchester are in with a chance of promotion but he should make a few substitute appearances.
    all it takes is one impressive appearance to gain a starting place, then its up to him, u don't know how often he will play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeates definitely has the ability but not the end product. He's still a key player for Colchester. He's not being employed more on the wing, he's being employed solely on the wing. He's a Joe Cole/Shaun Maloney type of player. I'd say at the moment he's a bit like McGeady in that he frustrates fans but I'd still have high hopes for him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    I thought Yeates played very well against Chelsea, and indeed in all of Colchester's FA Cup matches. He was subbed in a defensive tactical move against Chelsea but Chelsea scored almost immediately afterwards.

I think one of the reasons he was sent out on loan was to toughen up & build up a bit which I think he has done. I've heard Jol say he rates him. His future may not necessarily be at Spurs but if he works hard I think he'll be a good player. I think he needs to be playing Champoionship level at least next year though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Does anyone think that Alan O'Brien at Newcastle has a chanace of doing anything next season? He's been making the match-day squad for some time now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Does anyone think that Alan O'Brien at Newcastle has a chanace of doing anything next season? He's been making the match-day squad for some time now.
    Surprisingly, he's a player that's rarely mentioned on this forum. He's been making good progres this season. I think the emergence of the likes of Stephen Ireland, Joey O'Brien and Owen Garvan has perhaps overshadowed him. Next season will be a big one for O'Brien. I would expect Newcastle to bring in a couple of players this summer so that might make it difficult for him.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    He's OK, one dimensional and will probably be released in the summer, his chances at Newcastle are very slim.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Next year may be a bit soon for Anthony Stokes, though he may get out on loan. Certainly one to keep an eye on next year.

They seem to have done the opposite to him as Henry, turning a striker into a winger.
    Last edited by Paddy Garcia; 25/03/2006 at 6:59 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Stokes is a class act who would walk into most premiership teams already.I think he is being groomed to repace Ljungberg in the next two years.I'd expect him to begin to make sub appearances from next year and if Arsenal have nothing to play for domestically at the end of the season,the likes of him,Bendthner and Lupoli may get a look in.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Oh and Yeates has had an excellent season at Colchester.He and Greg Halford were being linked with a move to Norwich.He has being playing on the wing,which mightn't be a bad thing,as it will hopefully give his game more balance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Apparently Owen Garvan put in another cracking display for Ipswich this weekend. He got the man of the match award from the Sun which stated he was a star in the making (even if it is a rag).

Billy Clarke also came on for his debut at Colchester in their 0-0 draw at S****horpe (who Keogh was in action for).
    Last edited by youngirish; 27/03/2006 at 1:03 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast