Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts

Stephen Ireland

At least this should halt all the "who will he play for" threads
    From Man City's home page
    Stephen Ireland has revealed his true international colours...and they're green. The Blues midfielder, who could have picked England, Italy or Ireland is the star feature of this month's City Magazine, which is on sale today.

In the interview, Stephen states: "I would love to play for Ireland, I'd absolutely love it. If I got a cap this season then it would make my year.

"There is nothing I would like more than to play for my country at senior level especially if Richard Dunne was in the team. I look up to him in many ways. He is a great player and a great person, a really nice guy. I feel I can trust him. If I ever have got a problem I know that I can talk to him."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    On yesterday's performance Dunne may not be in the team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    God I would love 1 top quality central defender. Another Paul Mc Grath would be a god send.

As for IReland.. it was expected that he would climb on board once Kerr got the axe

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's from Cork, yeah?
    Whatever about the likes of Leon Best, but did anyone ever really see him declaring for England?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is that him out of the first 11 now with Reyna back??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Reyna has been fit for a while I think. I think given their poor recent form Pierce just went with experience in the middle & by the looks of things it was a good choice. Stephen Ireland is still in a great situation, well ahead of where any of us expected him to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    he should play 25-30 games this season in all competitions. lets hope next season him and dunne are playing in europe that would stand us in superb stead for the european qualifiers, them two players will undoubtably be playing right through the middle of our side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Reyna's only returned to full fitness recently, although he's had a few run outs in the reserves.
    Pearce does like Ireland as a player, and he's definately still in the first team picture, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he's rested a little over the weeks coming up to Christmas.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Good decision on Irelands part. Probably be a fixture in the Irish squad by the end of this season. Could be the creative midfielder we've been looking for.
    I'd love to invent a time machine then go back in time and win the lottery, buy new players and a stadium. Time machines are brilliant aren't they- Ian Holloway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulsey
    Good decision on Irelands part. Probably be a fixture in the Irish squad by the end of this season. Could be the creative midfielder we've been looking for.
    or he could be another disruptive cork midfielder who lives in manchester who would be more problems than he is worth?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Happy to read he didn't "declare for Ireland" but rather said he'd love to play for his country. Shows it was never a decision for the lad...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Happy to read he didn't "declare for Ireland" but rather said he'd love to play for his country. Shows it was never a decision for the lad...
    Doesn't seem like the type of player who'd be happy to be a squad member only. What if his mammy was in the crowd and he didn't get a run out, he'd never be back! Odds-on to retire from international football before he's 30.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint
    Doesn't seem like the type of player who'd be happy to be a squad member only. What if his mammy was in the crowd and he didn't get a run out, he'd never be back! Odds-on to retire from international football before he's 30.
    yikes the pessimism. think this story was a non-runner, why would he declare for england? it only brits that realise their country stinks and they want to play for us

he only got 5 mins against charlton and still looked good.
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    or he could be another disruptive cork midfielder who lives in manchester who would be more problems than he is worth?
    leave liam miller out of it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    ba bum tssch
    I

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Ireland sets his sights on international return

Tuesday, 20 December 2005 3:57

Manchester City's highly-rated midfielder Stephen Ireland is anxious to return to the international fold with the Republic

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland has insisted he is no bad boy as he sets his sights on reviving his Republic of Ireland career.

Ireland suffered a bitter bust-up with Brian Kerr a few years ago at a time when the former Republic boss was coaching at under-age level.

Ireland has not figured since, but with Kerr out of the picture after his departure two months ago, and with the 19-year-old now impressing for City, he is determined to represent his country.

He revealed: "I had a fall-out with Brian before he became the senior coach that seemed to stop my progress with the Irish sides. I played in a friendly in Dublin, then we moved to my hometown of Cobh to play Germany.

"Not only was I not in the starting team, I wasn't even on the bench and I think that even surprised the other players. I was told to sit in the stands with the crowd. I was so upset, and to make it worse we lost 4-0."

He continued: "After the game Brian said there would be changes for the next match with France. But in the pre-match training session before that game he took the team and subs to one side and told me to train with the others who had been left out.

"It is fair to say I was astonished, and as we got on the bus later I asked him if I could go home to Manchester. He told me I would never play for Ireland again as long as he was in charge and that he would talk to me again at the hotel."

He added: "When I met him he told me to get out of the Irish tracksuit and the hotel and arrange to be picked up. I left and haven't been involved since. I have nothing against Brian, just the way he dealt with the situation after pleading with me to join the squad in the first place and knowing my reservations in regard to missing vital matches for City.

"I got some bad press, but if Brian had approached me to draw a line in the sand I would have done so gladly. But I was painted as a bad boy and I am not."

After 13 appearances for City this season, including eight starts, Ireland is targeting a place in the squad for the March 1 friendly with Sweden at Lansdowne Road when it is anticipated a new manager will be in place.

"I would love to play for Ireland, absolutely love it," said Ireland in the official Manchester City magazine.

"If I got a cap this season then it would make my year. There is a friendly in the spring and I would love to get in that squad under the new manager, whoever that might be.

"I don't know whether I am good enough, but there is only one way to really find out, and I suppose if I can hold down a place in City's side until then it will go in my favour."

It is more than likely, though, Ireland will initially figure for his country at Under-21 level, with coach Don Givens' side to play in the Madeira Tournament from February 13-18.

There is also a home game with the Swedes on February 28, and Givens told PA Sport: "Stephen will be in my thoughts for Madeira, although it will all depend on his club situation at the time.

"If they don't have a midweek game I will request Stephen play the first match for us and then send him home.

"A bit nearer the time, and I've sat down and looked at the fixtures, I will speak with Stuart Pearce and see what we can do. But I won't do anything that will cost him, or jeopardise his place at Manchester City, and I have told him that."

Givens continued: "We will work round it because I know how important his development is at Manchester City. But what I have said to him is that I want him involved as quickly as possible.

"I recently had a chat with him, and he has told me how desperate he is to play for Ireland, and I'm willing to do what I can to help him achieve that aim."

City transfer target Steven Pienaar is set to join Borussia Dortmund after Ajax confirmed the South African midfielder had agreed terms with the Bundesliga club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He continued: "After the game Brian said there would be changes for the next match with France. But in the pre-match training session before that game he took the team and subs to one side and told me to train with the others who had been left out.

"It is fair to say I was astonished, and as we got on the bus later I asked him if I could go home to Manchester. He told me I would never play for Ireland again as long as he was in charge and that he would talk to me again at the hotel."

He added: "When I met him he told me to get out of the Irish tracksuit and the hotel and arrange to be picked up. I left and haven't been involved since. I have nothing against Brian, just the way he dealt with the situation after pleading with me to join the squad in the first place and knowing my reservations in regard to missing vital matches for City.

looks like Kerr is to blame..
    Mar 19 Cobh Ramblers3-2 Limerick
    July 23 Ramblers 2-1 Limerick
    Sept 23 Limerick 0-2 Ramblers
    June 28 Ramblers 2-1 Limerick
    Aug 18 Limerick 0-1 Ramblers
    Oct 21 Ramblers 1-0 Limerick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    still though a managers decision is final , he shouldnt have taken his place in the team for granted.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I see Don Givens wants to ease Stephen back into the U-21 setup, Why?? he is a senior premiership player, why would he take a step backwards, its not as if we are spoilt for choice in the central midfield area in the Senior squad.. He surely merits a Senior call-up. Whle on the subject of Given, how is he still in a Job, he led a hopeless campaign last time around and has always been a tosser in my view when he showboated his fall-out with Connolly with the laughing Irish Media before a friendly against Finland three years ago, it was truly unprofessional and no matter how unlikeable the player was, it was uncalled for.. Tosser shouldn't be in the Job let alone given charge of young professionals

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Dunne backs Ireland claims
    By Adam Marshall - Created on 22 Dec 2005
    LIVE FESTIVE FOOTBALL
    There are 13 live games coming up on Sky Sports over the festive period.

Related links
    Team Pages:
    Manchester City
    Republic of Ireland
    Player Pages:
    Stephen Ireland
    Richard Dunne is tipping his Manchester City team-mate Stephen Ireland for a place in the Republic of Ireland squad for March's friendly with Sweden.

The talented young midfielder is determined to clinch a place in the party for the March 1 date following Brian Kerr's departure from the manager's job.

Ireland fell out with Kerr whilst on Under-17 duty for his country with the coach stating he would never pick him again.

However, with a new man set to be appointed in the Irish role, the 17-year-old is being backed by defender Dunne to step up to international level.

"Obviously it's another step up but the way he's taken from reserve team football to senior football here has not bothered him at all," explained Dunne to Sky Sports News.

"He's created a few goals for us, made the killer pass on a few occasions and I think that's something the Irish team would need."