Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Id say it will be

Given
    Carr, Dunne, Cunningham, O'Shea
    Finnan, Holland, Kilbane, Reid,
    Morrison, Keane

Kerr is never going to drop keane on wednesday. Neither is he going to drop Josh. He will probably try to bring in some stability and go with Mattie holland. He did play well when he came on against Cyprus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Id say it will be

Given
    Finnan, Holland, Kilbane, Reid,
    Morrison, Keane

Kerr is never going to drop keane on wednesday. Neither is he going to drop Josh. He will probably try to bring in some stability and go with Mattie holland. He did play well when he came on against Cyprus.
    I'd go with the same but put S. Reid in for Kilbane. He's lost his confidence and doesn't warrant a place on the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy
    Tbh lads, we all know Kerr is neither going to drop O'Shea or Keane and in fairness Keane is our top scorer and is due a big game so prob right to leave him there. Kilbane prob should be dropped but bar an injury he wont, he's just not the same in midfield w/o Roy.
    Kerrs team imo will be:
    Given
    Finnan, Kavanagh, Kilbane, Reid,
    Morrison, Keane

I for one think Stevie Reid should start on the right but i cant see Kerr making too many changes, also Harte should be worth a risk, even if just for his set piece deliveries.
    I like the man but if he puts that team out on Wednesday he will rightly be slaughtered if we don't get a win. O' Brien hasn't let us down once so far and should be in for Dunne who has made a few costly mistakes.. O Shea has done nothing but let us down is every match played. At least Harte has scored. We have to stop playing players out of position. That means it's either Harte or O' Shea. No contest in my opinion. Finnan or Carr as right full. I would opt for Finnan but there is not much between them. I think Finnan offers more going forward but his position is not RM. S. Reid deserves his chance IMO. Kilbane is not a central midfielder and has been lost in that position especially without R. Keane alongside him. Holland is definately the better choice as evidenced on Sat night. As I said in a previous post Robbie should be dropped and Morrission to partner Elliott. He is getting more first team action than Robbie and has played better than him in the last few matches.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see how the Swiss approach the game. A 1-0 win for them will win them the group unless France beats Cyprus by 5.

Funny, but their big result at the start against faroes could well be the clincher for them.

Based on Saturday's performance we haven't a prayer. But as a fan I'm always optimistic & reckon there could be a big big night ahead on Wednesday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Some things learnt from Sturday:

It looks like O'Brien works better with Cunningham than Dunne

Kilbane's time in CM must have gone by now. Having two central midfielders in central midfield made a huge difference I thought.

I maintain that Finnan at RB & Carr RHM would be a better use of the two. Contrary to Dion Fanning ("Ireland lost all creativity when Duff went off" - did we? I thought we never had any creativity) I thought Steve Reid did OK. At least he got stuck in on occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Swiss

Just back from Cyprus, an i'm an etarnal optimist...but I have a bad feeling about Wednesday that I can't shake off. Shay Given who was fantastic on Sat night can't keep them out forever, and said that we'd have the lansdowne roar behind them on weds. Funny that, the seemed to have it behind them in Nicosia and did nothing. Some changes must be made, we need to go for the jugular, none of this careful sh1te we're sick of it. Finnan was shcoking on saturday, Kilbane looks like he won't make it but thats not a bad thing as holland should start.

I know i might get shot down for saying this, but if i were Kerr i would start Ian Harte at left back. What we need is some quality balls whipped into their box regularly, and if a free kick within range is won there's no better man. I'm probably Hartes worst critic but for once Kerr needs to roll the dice or he'll be out on his backside.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I couldn't believe how quiet Duff was. How many times did he touch the ball? He didn't seem interested, didn't seem to show for it, not that O'Shea was giving him much. Steven Reid seemed hungry, at least, when he came on. Himself and Elliot seemed the only ones that were up for it apart from the wonderful Shay, of course.

I don't know what has happened Damien Duff over the last few performances. He's a world class player, what's he afraid of? He could walk around those Cypriot players if he wanted to, what was troubling him? Fair play to the Cypriots but their defenders are several classes below Duff and they played him out of the game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Given
    Carr-Cunningham-O'Brien-Harte
    A. Reid- Holland-S.Reid-Kilbane
    Morrisson-Keane

I share everyone's dissatisfaction with Robbie's performances & attitude recently but it's not yet the time to drop him. There just isn't the quality or experience to take such a risk.

Dropping Elliott will be harsh but he can come off the bench if necessary.

Dunne & O'Shea were too careless on Saturday. Each deserves to be dropped. Dunne has made mistakes in each of his last 3 games now. Cunningham & O'Brien have been proven to be solid & composed together. O'Brien in particular was outstanding in the last game against the Swiss.

Kilbane's days as a CM have to be over. But he can offer something direct out wide in Duff's absence & can protect Harte on the LHS. With Harte you're always exposed to the diagonal long ball that caught O'Shea out in Cyprus, but my gut feeling is that despite his faults the side is better balanced with Harte. My only caveat in picking Harte is that I'm not sure he has played any football this season yet.

At least you'd expect S. Reid & Kilbane to offer something physical and committed to the cause.

I think I'd have Paddy Kenny, Finnan, Kavanagh, Doyle (Kevin, not Keith as Tom Humphreys called him), Elliott, Connolly & Doc (yes, for that obvious reason) on the bench, though I haven't given this much thought.

I wish Alan McLoughlin was still playing!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Im not sure Harte is the saviour that alot of saying here, although I do feel he is worth a shot on Wed.
    Up front I would like to see a bit more movement from our strikers, its something that has being lacking since the Italy game.
    in fairness to morrison he is usually quite good at making runs, albeit not often the right one. Connolly came on for 8 mins on sat and did more running off the ball than keane did in the previous 82. I think the substitution on sat might give Robbie the kick up the arse he needs. We are too predictable up front and bringing on GD is not the answer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I've changed my mind and now believe we are going to beat the Swiss on Wednesday night. We will never play as badly again as we did on Saturday night. Don't overlook the effects of the French game on the Swiss. Their arrogance doesn't match their football ability. I would stick with most of the starting line-up as Kerr chose on Saturday. Kavanagh is a better player than the lookalike who turned up in Cyprus. He has a big game in him. The Swiss out muscled us in the last game (just watched it again last night) and he has to play. A. Reid straight swap for Duff. S. Reid and Finnan. Kibane has to go. Finnan like Cunningham and Dunne are much better players than they showed on Saturday. o'shea and Carr are O'shea and Carr who knows? Keane will score and must play I don't care how many songs hes murdered or which hack hes ****ed off. Elliot or Morrison is the toughest one. I would stay with Elliot for this one..Score 3-1..I don't expect any nerves from this team as they have nothing to lose at this stage. The Swiss think they are already in Germany and have everything to lose. I believe the speech by Cunningham yesterday was the right one and showed some real leadership.

Team
    Given
    Carr Dunne Cunningham O'shea
    Finnan S.Reid kavangh A.Reid
    Keane Elliot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Morrison and Elliot to start up front and O'Shea can be brought out and shot for all I care, as long as he's nowhere near the pitch!!!
    Sitting pretty!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The Swiss are no mugs and I'm afraid to say will roll us over on Wednesday without any problem,I'm expecting them to win 2 nil or 2 -1.I think we'll show alot more fighting spirit compared to Saturday,but it won't be enough when we haven't got the players to create the chances we need or to hold onto a lead.We are going backwards with this team and will be found out big time.I hope I'm wrong but I just think we don't have it in us,we are lacking a leader in this team without Roy Keane.Anyway I'm never right on predictions so I hope that doesn't change

COME ON IRELAND.
    MOT

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    The Swiss are no mugs and I'm afraid to say will roll us over on Wednesday without any problem,I'm expecting them to win 2 nil or 2 -1.I think we'll show alot more fighting spirit compared to Saturday,but it won't be enough when we haven't got the players to create the chances we need or to hold onto a lead.We are going backwards with this team and will be found out big time.I hope I'm wrong but I just think we don't have it in us,we are lacking a leader in this team without Roy Keane.Anyway I'm never right on predictions so I hope that doesn't change

COME ON IRELAND.

Arguably they are missing their best player/leader too in Yakin, also in the last game we played against them at Lansdowne they were very fortunate to win, we got caught badly on the break and missed several chances. In the last away match they narrowly shaded it.
    Therefore, I cant see either team rolling the other over, if anything the Swiss have it all to lose, they are on the verge of automatic qualification or at least a playoff, we have no choice but to win. There is no doubt uncertainty in the Swiss camp as to how they approach this game, imo there is more pressure on them in this game.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I really dont knbow where kobi kuhn and alex frei are getting all their confidence and arrogance from...they are right to fancy their chances but you'd swear they hammer us every time they play us. Hakin Yakin was their key in all the games they have played with us and he is out.....I think it is very 50/50 and either team can turn the other over and as pointed out already hopefully the fact that the swiss won't really know what to play for ( win will win the group) ....that could cause some confusion in their camp..

we wont have that 'problem' ....we win or we go out ...simple
    I think the swiss win over france may take more from them than our game...well to be fair aas we didn't do f*ck all in our game we should be fresh as daisies

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Swiss are an arrogant, cocky shower who believe they are going to win without too much difficulty on weds. After Sat it's hard to believe they won't beat us handily.

I've always been an optimistic type when it comes to us in big games. You have to believe that the Irish players are a better bunch of players individually and as a team than they've showed recently. If they can't get motivated for Weds they may as well pack it in and p*ss off back to their luxury pads in Ingurlun.

For what it's worth I would go with the following 11

Given

Given Given Given Given

Given Given Given Given

Given Elliot

What do you think?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would go:

Given
    Harte
    Dunne
    Cunningham
    Finnan
    A.Reid
    Holland
    Kav
    S.Reid
    Elliott
    Clinton

I think that O'Shea & Keane deserve to be dropped after Saturday, Finnan is way stronger at RB & at least Harte is good at set pieces!! CM is a tough call, Kavanagh plyed rubbish on Sayt also, but who else do we have??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Eh how the hell are we 10-11 for the game and the swiss are 3-1, preposterous odds. I just cant see us doing anything on Wednesday.
    Elliot and Morrison up front, holland has to start, Kavanagh shouldnt be within ten feet of a set piece.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by concanta
    I really dont knbow where kobi kuhn and alex frei are getting all their confidence and arrogance from...they are right to fancy their chances but you'd swear they hammer us every time they play us. Hakin Yakin was their key in all the games they have played with us and he is out.....I think it is very 50/50 and either team can turn the other over and as pointed out already hopefully the fact that the swiss won't really know what to play for ( win will win the group) ....that could cause some confusion in their camp..
    The Swiss have every right to be confident.
    When is the last time that Ireland won a competetive match against either a Top or a Middlin' European side? You have to go back 4 years to the game against Holland. Before that it was an early round qualifier against Croatia and Yugosalvia in in 98' or '99. The rest of the time it has been either draws or defeats.

Fra.. L
    Isr.. D
    Isr.. D
    Fra.. D
    Sui.. D
    Sui.. L
    Rus.. D
    Sui.. L
    Rus.. L
    Spa.. D (lost on pens, but we'll the match a draw.)
    Ger.. D
    Hol.. W
    Por.. D
    Por.. D
    Hol.. D
    Tur.. D
    Tur.. D
    Cro.. L
    Yug.. W
    Yug.. L
    Cro.. W
    Bel.. L
    Bel.. D
    Rom.. D
    Rom.. L

So this is our competitive record agaisnt half-way-decent and above European opposition.........

W-D-L
    3-14-8

We're great ones for the EPIC DRAW alright (Germany, Spain, Portugal, Holland etc etc), but when the chips are down and we need a win we rarely come through.
    On top of that, the Swiss have taken 7 of 9 points from us in the last 3 meetings, they every right to feel confident.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petef
    Eh how the hell are we 10-11 for the game and the swiss are 3-1, preposterous odds. I just cant see us doing anything on Wednesday.
    Elliot and Morrison up front, holland has to start, Kavanagh shouldnt be within ten feet of a set piece.
    Those odds are with Irish bookies I imagine.

Odds don't reflect reality, they reflect where the money goes, Irish people will put money on an Irish win.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

The Swiss - I hate them

Arrogant showers of ****ers

Kuhn full of confidence

October 10, 2005

Switzerland manager Kobi Kuhn has no doubts that his side will eliminate the Republic of Ireland from the World Cup at Lansdowne Road on Wednesday night.

The Swiss come to Dublin needing only a draw against the Irish to ensure a play-off place following their 1-1 draw with France on Saturday night.

Kuhn more or less admitted that his side will play very defensive on Wednesday night, leaving Ireland with the arduous task of breaking down a resolute defence.

“Knowing that we cannot afford to lose might have some bearing later on in the match,” said Kuhn. “We’ll certainly bear in mind the fact that we beat Ireland in Dublin the last time we played.

“But the main thing and the big difference is that Ireland absolutely have to win. They are under more pressure than us. We are in pole position going into Wednesday and that’s where we want to stay.”

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast