Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Matches 15/16th March 2024

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    If you think you lot are boring, you better bring a pillow to the Ryan McBride when we pop up at the end of the month! Snooze-fest guaranteed
    We're more toothless than the front row of a Daniel O'Donnell concert. The crowd were phenomenal though. I just worry that a good 1,000 or so of the recent attendances will fall away, if the majority of our season is made up of 0-0 draws and losses. We played a fairly average Rovers side and just couldn't get any decent attacks going. They are clinical despite playing well within themselves, and they killed us, winning ugly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Can't agree that Bohs were brilliant, bar Connolly and Keta who had great games.
    I thought the lacked quality, moreso on the City side.
    Horrendous stuff from Todd for the first. Nightmare performance from him. Hoban very quiet, as he got no service. Tones of the past few seasons there.

Less said about the game the better. Few weeks off, we should have a few lads back from injury.

More concerning to me is that we're boring. We have been for a time, but you'll get away with being boring as long as you're winning, but that's three aways in a row with no wins.
    Connolly is fast and direct but I dont know how he isnt nullified tactically. He always goes outside, his close control is poor, it knock the ball past and run on to it. Covering players or make him turn inside in to traffic and he becomes more headless chicken. 3 at the back and wide players pushing up will give him free reign to look world class...maybe. Switching wings was when he was handy against better prepared wide players.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Connolly is fast and direct but I dont know how he isnt nullified tactically. He always goes outside, his close control is poor, it knock the ball past and run on to it. Covering players or make him turn inside in to traffic and he becomes more headless chicken. 3 at the back and wide players pushing up will give him free reign to look world class...maybe. Switching wings was when he was handy against better prepared wide players.
    He must have improved a bit since he left Dundalk because his close control is decent enough. Not the best in the team or league by any stretch but a far stretch from poor. Still has a tendency to go outside etc but he's not a headless chicken when he goes inside. Usually does the simple thing mind but you can live with that. He's still a bit suspect in his decision making and with the final ball but obviously with every player in the league there are limitations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    He must have improved a bit since he left Dundalk because his close control is decent enough. Not the best in the team or league by any stretch but a far stretch from poor. Still has a tendency to go outside etc but he's not a headless chicken when he goes inside. Usually does the simple thing mind but you can live with that. He's still a bit suspect in his decision making and with the final ball but obviously with every player in the league there are limitations.
    Maybe we just have different standards or describe similar traits differently. Ok his close ball control isnt so good that it should bother a half decent full back, they should get a good chance to get a toe on the ball when not galloping on to his default knock the ball long past a defender, this should be easy to read also imo and he lacks the footballing brain to go with his footballing ability to really mix it up. If he cuts inside he gets guided in to dead end channels so goes back to heading for the end touchline to cross or cut back. He could be effective as a shock tactic when he isnt known eg in Europe. Ball over the top of a high line and he will threaten, although not a finisher. He still needs to be pushed in to drifting in to a far post when the ball is on the opposite wing. Stuff that you'd hope could be coached to the kind of raw talent and potential that saw Dundalk pay a fee for him. Yeah he has improved over time, but not anywhere near early potential indicated. Take his pace away and is he a good footballer? The ultimate of the frustrating player to watch.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Sligo 2 up after 25 mins. Jack Keaney twice with no clue that Mata was behind him, clueless defending, which we saw plenty of at The Bowl last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    We're more toothless than the front row of a Daniel O'Donnell concert. The crowd were phenomenal though. I just worry that a good 1,000 or so of the recent attendances will fall away, if the majority of our season is made up of 0-0 draws and losses. We played a fairly average Rovers side and just couldn't get any decent attacks going. They are clinical despite playing well within themselves, and they killed us, winning ugly.
    Giving hope to us Dundalk fans is just cruel unless you follow up!! Ive upgraded my hopes to the battle for 9th to try and stay up.....

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    If you think you lot are boring, you better bring a pillow to the Ryan McBride when we pop up at the end of the month! Snooze-fest guaranteed
    Careful now. Kenny Shiels was lambasted for suggesting that about the last side Caulfield managed.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Can't agree that Bohs were brilliant, bar Connolly and Keta who had great games.
    I thought the lacked quality, moreso on the City side.
    Horrendous stuff from Todd for the first. Nightmare performance from him. Hoban very quiet, as he got no service. Tones of the past few seasons there.

Less said about the game the better. Few weeks off, we should have a few lads back from injury.

More concerning to me is that we're boring. We have been for a time, but you'll get away with being boring as long as you're winning, but that's three aways in a row with no wins.
    You copied part of my post to suit yourself, in my post I also said Keta, Mills and Connolly played well. Like I said Bohs were brilliant., they fought hard and dug in, They were more brilliant than what can only be described as a poor boring Derry side who lacked any inventiveness, guile or ability to break Bohs down. They had no fight in them and no desire to win. I await with great anticipation the return of your injured players to see you top the league and conquer everything around you.
    But some how I don't think so.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Theres major drainage issues at Bishopsgate that was reason why game was off. Its coming from the field behind the goal at far end of ground. Farmer next door was supposed to fix it but didnt. Dont know what to make of it tbh but its not the first time that a game in Longford has being called off from heavy rain. The local GAA ground Pearse Park matches went ahead tonight. Its turnin into a big problem for us.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    Sligo 2 up after 25 mins. Jack Keaney twice with no clue that Mata was behind him, clueless defending, which we saw plenty of at The Bowl last season.
    Rovers had more than their share of luck tonight, and will play better this season and lose. Drogheda were good and created plenty; there’s a lot more to them than organisation and graft alone, and Markey’s a terrific player.

JR’s taken a lot of criticism for his substitutions this season, but they worked well tonight and lifted Rovers at a time when panic was setting in and a Drogheda equaliser looked likely.

I’d probably give McGinty MoTM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    353 Posts
    Very decent start to the season for Sligo ,was definitely doubtful about Russell staying but can’t argue with how they’ve started…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    You copied part of my post to suit yourself, in my post I also said Keta, Mills and Connolly played well. Like I said Bohs were brilliant., they fought hard and dug in, They were more brilliant than what can only be described as a poor boring Derry side who lacked any inventiveness, guile or ability to break Bohs down. They had no fight in them and no desire to win. I await with great anticipation the return of your injured players to see you top the league and conquer everything around you.
    But some how I don't think so.
    But Hoban is the deliverer of all Derrys hopes - the last piece of the puzzle!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Was waiting on Waterford to fill my treble along with Bohs and Shels and watched last 30 at Oriel, neither team seemed particularly bothered about scoring, wheels coming off Waterford after their good start?
    NUDES IN BIO!

I thought we played well and tad unclucky not to win.
    Big difference this week was that the players have started to communicate and talk to each other during the match! ?Annesley(captain for the night very vocal and gave good direction ) lead well at back Johnson stepped up, Munro was good.
    Anyway,on to Shels in a couple of weeks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    389 Posts
    Great start to the season for us but lucky enough last night. Scored 3 great goals but Drogs missed a good few chances.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    In regards to a post above, there's no drainage issue in Longford. I could count on one hand the amount of games called off over the last 20 years, that pitch is usually able to take massive amounts of rainfall but it hasn't stopped in weeks, all the fields around the ground are under water. The gaa stadium is near the town centre, area around Bishopsgate is all low lying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    As per last season, any side that strings together a few wins will change the look of the table. Shels have stood out for really just being defensively solid and scrap to hold what they have. Derry still look like they will drop points in the unexpected expected way of last season. Rovers are like an old lorry that takes time to warm up and get going - same issues with same injured players and hence same issues as last season so far. Still favourites but still relying on others not to capitalise again. Even Dundalk are showing some green shoots of growth but easily stomped on by a more canny and better coached Shels. Their development really has been un shels like - considered, incremental, and based on a sensible internal coaching appointment that they have backed, reliable tried and tested LoI players mixed with younger lads. Even the loss of investors hasnt brought a house of cards down. They have even found some fans! If there is a fly in the ointment there it is the DCC terms for Tolka which if they stick would stunt the progress of any clubs onfield push. Sligo have so far shown how a predictions thread is nothing more than a guessing game, although I did suggest that they are well capable of springing a surprise (RAF). Drogheda should be better off but you cant always be unlucky to not pick up points. Im going to stick my neck out here and say that both promoted sides have been over performing and will start to go backwards. Bohs will improve just having Croly in the backgound - Fenlon will be an ongoing headache for team affairs as he just wont be able to not stick his oar in, not in his nature!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    In regards to a post above, there's no drainage issue in Longford. I could count on one hand the amount of games called off over the last 20 years, that pitch is usually able to take massive amounts of rainfall but it hasn't stopped in weeks, all the fields around the ground are under water. The gaa stadium is near the town centre, area around Bishopsgate is all low lying.
    To be honest, I thought the game against Harps at the start of the season was lucky to go ahead. After walking on the pitch that night it was incredibly soft.

It's just the time of year though. There's very few pitches in the country that can withstand the weather we've had the past few months, no matter how much drainage is in place.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Great start to the season for us but lucky enough last night. Scored 3 great goals but Drogs missed a good few chances.
    Drogs dominated possession for long periods and cut through us at will at times, definitely can feel unlucky to have got nothing from it.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    To be honest, I thought the game against Harps at the start of the season was lucky to go ahead. After walking on the pitch that night it was incredibly soft.

It's just the time of year though. There's very few pitches in the country that can withstand the weather we've had the past few months, no matter how much drainage is in place.
    Soft but playable, no standing water. As you said it's tough going for every pitch at the minute but not having suggestions above that there's something seriously wrong other than the ridiculous rainfall

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Soft but playable, no standing water. As you said it's tough going for every pitch at the minute but not having suggestions above that there's something seriously wrong other than the ridiculous rainfall
    Regardless of your opinion its the truth. A source who volunteers regularly as hes regularly out there due to his commitments with the underage said it to us.The drain out the back is goosed. Whover owns the land behind the pitch wont go in and clear it out. How would you know? You dont even live in the county any more . Have some respect for your elders.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast