Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 92 of 103 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2048

Thread: 2024 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Fans turning up their nose at Maguire. Maybe the standard isn't as bad as fans are saying!

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Fans turning up their nose at Maguire. Maybe the standard isn't as bad as fans are saying!
    Yeah it's a weird one. He may have his injury problems but let's not pretend leagues 1&2 in the UK aren't exceptionally intense both from a scheduling and performance aspect. I'd say if he came back a lot of his injury problems would settle down because he's not expected to participate in preparation and possibly a good chunk of 2 games every week. I'd take him in a heartbeat at Bohs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    There's a number of fans from different clubs on here with a real misplaced sense of snobbery in regards to Maguire by the looks of it- Injury permitting he'd walk into every single team in this league. He's 29....
    I'd imagine it would be his salary expectations that would preclude him from returning here for the next few years,but the fact that noel king is somehow in gainful employment in the LOI means literally ANYTHING is now possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    There's a number of fans from different clubs on here with a real misplaced sense of snobbery in regards to Maguire by the looks of it- Injury permitting he'd walk with a limp into every single team in this league. He's 29....
    I'd imagine it would be his salary expectations that would preclude him from returning here for the next few years,but the fact that noel king is somehow in gainful employment in the LOI means literally ANYTHING is now possible.
    He is a nailed on match for Rovers - he could keep Byrne company in the stand on match nights!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    There's a number of fans from different clubs on here with a real misplaced sense of snobbery in regards to Maguire by the looks of it- Injury permitting he'd walk into every single team in this league. He's 29....
    It sure is PC, but then again if they dug up BB King and he kept us, I couldn't care less, and same for Noel, GSTK
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Yeah it's a weird one. He may have his injury problems but let's not pretend leagues 1&2 in the UK aren't exceptionally intense both from a scheduling and performance aspect. I'd say if he came back a lot of his injury problems would settle down because he's not expected to participate in preparation and possibly a good chunk of 2 games every week. I'd take him in a heartbeat at Bohs
    They sure are, almost every week its a game on Sat, then home or away on Tues and in some cases huge travelling distances of 5-6 hours one way. I used to think top 3 in LOI was much better than L1 and maybe rose tinted glasses outlook in SK era at Dundalk, but its really not.

I'd say current Rovers and Derry would do 'just ok' in L1, maybe end of season whoever finishes 3-6 would do ok in L2, the rest would have to be National League (which is a good standard btw).

On Maguire, wouldn't surprise me if he stayed and joined a L2 club, their avg wages are 2.5k sterling a week, just under 3k euro a week, very few would pay that here for his age profile, maybe none, Hoban is prob on close to that ? But would be few and far between, in almost all cases, and for financial reasons its always better for a player to extend career in England v a LOI return.

Edit, avg wages for a L1 player is 4,750 sterling !!
    Last edited by oriel; 05/05/2024 at 7:43 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    https://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=9613
    Daly gets the heave-ho from Pats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    The statement makes it very clear that he was sacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Sad to see but it just felt inevitable. He did a great job last season when he came in, style of play not always the most aesthetically pleasing but the game plans were effective and we were good at grinding results out. This season has almost been the opposite, he had great backing in the window but no side has lost more games than us and the two don't mix. Have occasionally started games well such as yesterday, either failed to create or not taken chances and then completely collapsed after conceding.

We had interesting targets to say the least like Neil Lennon the last time the job was vacant, only for Daly to impress enough to get it himself, so god knows what the plan is now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Slightly surprised he’s been sacked this early after the cup win but comparing his opening 15 games of this season with Clancy's opening 12 of last season (which is when he was sacked) it’s been worse results wise and just as bad performance wise. Considering the budget is the third biggest in the league, sitting in 7th place and a record of 5 points out of 24 available in away games is an alarming record for any manager to hold onto their job in the modern day climate of manager shelf lives. Really enjoyed last season from May onwards when he took over and will always respect the man for the cup win and turning the fortunes around. Not sure who’s available at the moment but I’ve a feeling it’ll be someone from outside the LOI given the lack of good available options with LOI experience
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    couldnt even begin to guess who pats will look at to replace him. lennon was a mad name. a bold move for stephen kenny before derry go after him???

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    League seems to have really gone mad. Half the mangers in the league are only 2 or 3 defeats away from serious pressure on their job.

I wonder if it’s a side effect of fans struggling to adapt to the impact of professionalisation in the league. Gone are the days of 2 or 3 full time clubs sucking up the best players in the league and handing out hidings to the also rans. No such thing as an easy game in this league anymore.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The return of StephenO Donnell …………?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    Jaysus, and I thought that a statement released by Dundalk FC when someone was recently moved on was pointedly curt. I hope Kelleher gave the statutory notice to his employee....

Acrimony or the MFA PRO has moved to Inchicore!

*(Could have been some fun if Dundalk were still waiting to announce a repleacement for S'OD considering Daly was hanging out at Oriel a few weeks ago)
    Last edited by Nesta99; 07/05/2024 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitd View Post
    The return of StephenO Donnell …………?
    Id like to think that is a tongue in cheek comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Pats have the same dilemma as Dundalk, appoint another up and coming young manager (like McLaughlin) or go quids in for someone with managerial experience in the league like Barraclough. We could cut and paste the Dundalk related posts in, Kerr in to add to the golden oldies back in the league, not that Id put Kerr and King on the same level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    I think people tend to forget they Kerr is 71 years old. The media stuff is all he is interested in these days. He only gave O’Shea a temporary dig out with the Ireland set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Based on last year's results it feels harsh but both performances and results have been really poor so far this season. Even last season some of the performances were a bit scratchy but we grinded out the results. No such luck this season and it wasn't the easiest football in the world to watch so without the results you've got very little. Still we always have the Cup Final win last November.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I think people tend to forget they Kerr is 71 years old. The media stuff is all he is interested in these days. He only gave O’Shea a temporary dig out with the Ireland set up.
    I wasnt being serious but then I wouldnt have been serious if I was suggesting giving King the Dundalk job a few weeks ago! Its LoI so id always expect the unexpected. If Kerr's health is good, 71 is not necessarily old these days, and people who are getting on can often suffer FOBO and want to show that they can still cut it. Media work is handy in comparison and it gives Kerr the platform to continue to exude the 'i know better than everyone' have the odd snipe at Dundalk, Oriel and its pitch (I always put that down to the time a steward with no notion who he was, asked for his ticket and then tried to move him out of an unused designated season ticket holder seat in Oriel, until some unsung hero told the steward that he was the Republic of Ireland manager and he was grand where he was!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Stephen Kenny is Kelleher’s top target according to the Examiner,from listening to LOI Central and Dan McDonnell’s comments on his future plans it seems a long shot…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Page 92 of 103 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast