Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2233

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    But you're aware of the knife incident? But you have decided to give him the benefit of the doubt

Fine that's you. I wasn't born yesterday and I know a problem when I see it.
    I mentioned nothing about the knife incident because my post was in response to yours, which was purely a video of the guy drunk, with the caption "Neil Lennon drunk". There was nothing else in your post.

I don't care about a guy being drunk. Brian Clough was one of the finest managers in the English game and was drunk for half of it.

That doesn't mean you can assume my views on other issues though.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,321 Posts
    If Lennon having had too much to drink was the worst thing he's done, then I wouldn't have much issue with it, or it being a reason not to appoint him.
    But it isn't.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Reading between the lines it seems like the FAI are prepared to pay a full time wage for a full time appointment, or a part time wage for a part time appointment, but not a full time wage for a guy who wants to fly in and out around fixtures. I imagine Kenny was around Abbotstown and around the country and was seen to be doing the job in a different way from his predecessors who weren’t in the country between international windows.

I find it hard to argue that point. Carsley’s family situation probably makes relocating to Ireland impossible, and what the FAI view as being a fair wage for a part timer is likely significantly less than he could expect to attract in England.

It's a classic stand off really. I don’t think anyone is really in the wrong. Perhaps Lennon is the most qualified candidate prepared to relocate to this side of the Irish Sea (much easier for a guy who’s originally from Lurgan tbf). But the fact’s are that Lennon’s baggage makes him completely unsuitable.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/neil...-knife-7043869

How in the name of God can he go and sit on the couch on the Late Late and expect this not to come up? No serious football association in western Europe can appoint someone to the most senior coaching role in their country with that sort of past. The inevitable reaction would make his appointment impossible to sustain even if they do foolishly go for it. The questions simply won't end until he resigns.

If the FAI want someone who will relocate to this island to take the job, that’s not necessarily a bad idea. But they might have to get a little imaginative in casting their net than looking at who’s doing the rounds as occasional pundits on TV. Celtic didn’t find Ange Postecoglou sitting on a Sky Sports sofa.
    A made up story by a woman scorned that was never reported to the cops, just spread about the tabloids. Why would anyone question that? IF it had really happened he'd have been arrested and questioned at the very least. Don't believe everything you read in tabloids.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Neil Lennon would be forced out of the job within 6 months of being appointed by the uproar his appointment would cause. There are significant character issues with him and plenty of stories would get out.

There is Zero chance the FAI will risk the government funding they are fighting for by appointing him.

I heard from a mate that Scott Parker has gone to short odds from 40/1
    Its really not that complicated!!!

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If Lennon having had too much to drink was the worst thing he's done, then I wouldn't have much issue with it, or it being a reason not to appoint him.
    But it isn't.
    Whats the worst thing he's done>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    A made up story by a woman scorned that was never reported to the cops, just spread about the tabloids. Why would anyone question that? IF it had really happened he'd have been arrested and questioned at the very least. Don't believe everything you read in tabloids.
    I don't know how much of the story is true. On one hand trouble has followed him everywhere he's gone. On the other hand the Scottish tabloids are absolute scum.

But in a way for the FAI it doesn't matter whether it's true or not. Elements of the media will be incredibly hostile because he's a Nordie, as will elements of the political classes.

He'll be asked the same questions either way. And answering them once won't stop them. The woman who made the accusations will be brought over to give her side of the story. She'll do the Late Late where she'll say enough for the news to carry the clip over the weekend. There'll be an interview in the SIndo and all that will set up a week long circus on Joe Duffy.

The videos of him that were posted above will be everywhere. Stories will come out of Lurgan about one thing and another that have happened there down through the years. A TD looking for some attention will start asking questions about how much of the funding the FAI receive from the taxpayers goes to fund his salary.

He won't last a week.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    I don't know how much of the story is true. On one hand trouble has followed him everywhere he's gone. On the other hand the Scottish tabloids are absolute scum.

But in a way for the FAI it doesn't matter whether it's true or not. Elements of the media will be incredibly hostile because he's a Nordie, as will elements of the political classes.

He'll be asked the same questions either way. And answering them once won't stop them. The woman who made the accusations will be brought over to give her side of the story. She'll do the Late Late where she'll say enough for the news to carry the clip over the weekend. There'll be an interview in the SIndo and all that will set up a week long circus on Joe Duffy.

The videos of him that were posted above will be everywhere. Stories will come out of Lurgan about one thing and another that have happened there down through the years. A TD looking for some attention will start asking questions about how much of the funding the FAI receive from the taxpayers goes to fund his salary.

He won't last a week.
    He would be foolish to take the job if it was offered ~ Because all of what you have said in that post will probably happen.

And , why would the FAI open such a can of troubles ? !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He would be foolish to take the job if it was offered ~ Because all of what you have said in that post will probably happen.

And , why would the FAI open such a can of troubles ? !
    Lennon would be mad not to take it. He'll be stood down after a week and appropriately compensated. Worst case scenario he gets 6 months wages and never has to do so much as lay out some cones.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    We all lose our minds when someone says Carsley is in or out. Clearly things haven't gone as smoothly as the FAI would have liked but until I hear something officially from Carsley or the FAI I won't believe he's in or out. If Kilbane says something I'll be more concerned than Shay saying it.

Kilbane had a throwaway bit at the end of his article a couple weeks ago about Kerr and that he should be involved. No one has said anything about it since, including Kerr. He's been surprisingly quiet... all this delay couldn't be for Carsley trying to get Kerr on his staff could it???
    Well Kerr on Virgin Media saying tonight that it seems Carsley not taking it, so there goes that theory! Kerr mentioned Stephen Bradley when coming up with people for the job so he obviously has no inside info.

Im starting to believe its not Carsley now, in which case I think we are in deep sh1t.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    I'd genuinely rather have Hodgson than Lennon or Keane. Hughton is a far from inspiring option, but we've surely reached a point where somebody offering basic competence and a large dose of integrity is about as good as we're likely to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I'd genuinely rather have Hodgson than Lennon or Keane. Hughton is a far from inspiring option, but we've surely reached a point where somebody offering basic competence and a large dose of integrity is about as good as we're likely to get.
    Can't have Keane apparently.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/kea...-bail-1.186559

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-30167555.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Hodgson could be the ideal kick the can down the road candidate. There is very little out there at the moment. He has excellent experience in the game and he could work for the next campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    Dont see anything in there about him threatening a woman with knife since you are trying to be a smartar$e and making the comparison. You can talk about tabloids all you want but defending Lennon here speaks more to your own character than anything else

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    If its not Carsley Id love us to take a punt on Brian Barry Murphy. Similar resume to Carsley, just few years behind. When theres no obvious stand out candidates for the criteria that Canham seems to have set out Barry Murphy ticks a lot of the boxes hes looking for.... but it might be more of a risk then they are willing to take after Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Reading between the lines it seems like the FAI are prepared to pay a full time wage for a full time appointment, or a part time wage for a part time appointment, but not a full time wage for a guy who wants to fly in and out around fixtures. I imagine Kenny was around Abbotstown and around the country and was seen to be doing the job in a different way from his predecessors who weren’t in the country between international windows.

I find it hard to argue that point. Carsley’s family situation probably makes relocating to Ireland impossible, and what the FAI view as being a fair wage for a part timer is likely significantly less than he could expect to attract in England.
    If the FAI want someone who will relocate to this island to take the job, that’s not necessarily a bad idea. But they might have to get a little imaginative in casting their net than looking at who’s doing the rounds as occasional pundits on TV. Celtic didn’t find Ange Postecoglou sitting on a Sky Sports sofa.
    I dont think a permanent presence in Ireland should be a pre-requisite for the role or that the salary should be deemed part-time if he is not in Ireland full time, if that is the sticking point. Define the job, the success criteria and then let the job get done. Establish reasonable travel expectations. Requiring a permanent presence in Ireland (or a salary penalty for not being permanently in Ireland) massively limits our candidate pool and doesn't really add any value (SK was full time in Ireland, so what?).

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Hodgson could be the ideal kick the can down the road candidate. There is very little out there at the moment. He has excellent experience in the game and he could work for the next campaign.
    He's been rushed from the training ground to the hospital on the day he was supposed to be sacked... maybe he had a missed call from the FAI and it sent him over the edge. wish him a speedy recovery.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...medium=twitter

Fallon says we are being stalled by budget for staff

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...medium=twitter

Fallon says we are being stalled by budget for staff
    It does feel like this is the issue. I wonder if it's all related to the rumours regarding the sponsor and at that board meeting they had news regarding potential sponsorship which they were weighing up against the cost of Carsley and his backroom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Dont see anything in there about him threatening a woman with knife since you are trying to be a smartar$e and making the comparison. You can talk about tabloids all you want but defending Lennon here speaks more to your own character than anything else
    Nope, but actual charges, not just made up tabloid nonsense with no police reports, charges or anything beyond the waffling of a scorned woman.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Nope, but actual charges, not just made up tabloid nonsense with no police reports, charges or anything beyond the waffling of a scorned woman.

Id say you get all the chicks!